Discussions that Begin With Links, and No Explanation

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:29 am
Lately, I have been noticing something that really pisses me off. A writer will start a dicussion with a link only, with little clue as to what the discussion is about (except possibly for some vague reference in the title).

I won't click on those links. If a person has something to say, why doesn't he come right out and say it, and then add the link for substantiation?

IMO, an A2K discussion should revolve around the thoughts and feelings of the writer, not something that, to me, is a few steps away from plagarism. Other members can read newspapers as well as these "writers". What I want is an A2K members input, not some hashed over words of a professional reporter.

What do you all think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,153 • Replies: 32
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:33 am
bugs me too, especially youtube videos that aren't embedded, you don't know what they are

links to articles sometimes give you a clue as to what's in store, but it still bugs me
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:44 am
Methinks, thou thinkest too much.
Letty

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:50 am
@djjd62,
dj, you know me so I don't have to embed the links. I understand what Phoenix is saying, however.
djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:52 am
@Letty,
the radio station or a music thread are different, i know it's a song

it's a political type thread that i'm talking about
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 06:59 am
@djjd62,
I rarely respond to those kinds of threads because the initiator is actually being lazy. I also am getting a bit annoyed at the cousins of this trick, where someone will merely past up an article without any personal comment. This is a board where we give opinions, its not a news clipping service.
djjd62

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:08 am
@farmerman,
ican does that on the political boards, i started calling him/her/it, ican cut & paste
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:09 am
@Phoenix32890,
I'm unimpressed with naked links as well. There are countless interesting things to see on The Web and there are other ways to find them. What I value from A2K however is the opinions of the people who post things. I don't have a problem with posting a link, but at least say something about it, even if it's "hey, I really liked this".
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:13 am
@rosborne979,
your words are iron ,snowman Cool
Now its your turn to shovel.
Thats just my opinion
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:20 am
@Phoenix32890,
Lately? BPB has been doing that foreeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvver...
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:46 am
@sozobe,
Soz- Maybe I am becoming a bit more testy in my old age! Evil or Very Mad Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar- When I stop thinking, I'll be dead! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 07:51 am
@farmerman,
farmerman- We are of the same mind.

As far as links to songs, that is an entirely different animal. It would be nice though, if the writer made some comment about the song, although I could think of cases where that would not be necessary.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 08:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I rarely respond to those kinds of threads because the initiator is actually being lazy. I also am getting a bit annoyed at the cousins of this trick, where someone will merely past up an article without any personal comment. This is a board where we give opinions, its not a news clipping service.
It appears to me that for many posters a2k is exactly a news clipping service. I just thumb them down.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 09:20 am
Completely agree with you, Phoenix. If the writer can't be bothered to start a discussion about the issue, explain the story, then I'm not interested in discussing whatever it is. Hence, I don't click on the link either.
roger

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:03 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Same here. I won't sqwak about my valuable time, but I am on dial up. If I'm not readly for lunch break anyway, I'm not going to any kind of youtube without a darn good reason. A link by itself is no reason at all.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:18 pm
@roger,
Why are you on dialup by the way? I've been meaning to ask, these days DSL can be as cheap as dialup and you may be the only person I know using dialup.
Letty

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:30 pm
@Robert Gentel,
AT&T ain't cheap. I'm thinking of going Bright House.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:36 pm
@Letty,
I'm not familiar with them, but in my experience it was very cheap to get broadband in the US, especially if you had either a landline or cable TV (roger doesn't watch TV, if I remember correctly, so that may be one reason for him).

For example, I could get dial up for $10 to 20 a month, or DSL for around $20/month. For me I'd always opt for the DSL when the prices got so low.
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

This type of poster would be me regularly. I guess, I see A2K as more than just opinions, and I see opinions as being inevitable anyways. Sometimes I post stories that I think the community will take interest in (politics/science/human interest), I always cite the original source. I respect a lot of people's opinion here and I check my reaction to many things be seeing how others react. I don't think I've ever failed to return and offer my input/opinions.

Is this really that bad?

T
K
O
0 Replies