I am so sorry

Seed

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:56 pm
I recently posted two threads with a picture on them. From my side of the computer they were completely and utterly harmless. But I just became aware that what I saw, and what you saw was two completely differently pictures.

I never meant for the picture you saw, to be what you saw. I am very sorry for this.

Very Embarrassed,
Seed

Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@Seed,
No worries Seed - didn't think it was pics you posted. Chin up chap... be gone in an hour at the bottom of the n'th page. xx
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

I recently posted two threads with a picture on them. From my side of the computer they were completely and utterly harmless. But I just became aware that what I saw, and what you saw was two completely differently pictures.

I never meant for the picture you saw, to be what you saw. I am very sorry for this.

Very Embarrassed,
Seed

dude, yeah. Getting a face full of Goatse.cx is ******* gnarly.

No worries, you were just hotlinking to a site that really, really doesn't like when people do that.

Cycloptichorn
msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:59 pm
@Seed,
Well I didn't see them, Seed. So I'm completely in the dark. I'm feeling sympathetic, though, as you sound so embarrassed about an apparent posting muck-up.
Seed

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:01 pm
@msolga,
Yea, the pic that was posted is not something I would ever want someone to see. OMG so not me.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:01 pm
Whew. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:10 pm
@Seed,
<pat pat>

There, there, Seed. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:13 pm
I'm pretty sure that no one assumed you actually wanted to post that. No worries. All gone.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:13 pm
Now that we understand what happened, it's funny as hell.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

No worries, you were just hotlinking to a site that really, really doesn't like when people do that.

That is an interesting solution to the problem I guess. But, I wonder if the site could be legally liable if children saw these pictures.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:16 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

That is an interesting solution to the problem I guess. But, I wonder if the site could be legally liable if children saw these pictures.

I doubt it - by hot-linking you are basically stealing their data without permission.

Cycloptichorn
Seed

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:17 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

I'm pretty sure that no one assumed you actually wanted to post that. No worries. All gone.

I hope not. I would hope by now that people don't think I would post something like that knowingly!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:18 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

I doubt it - by hot-linking you are basically stealing their data without permission.

No you are not. And, even if this was "stealing", any kids who see these pictures aren't stealing anything.

This is kind of like setting a booby trap in your house... you are liable for injuries.
Seed

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Should have seen my face when Robert sent me the PM telling me what was happening...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:23 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

No you are not.

Sure you are. Technically you are supposed to get permission from the owner of a site before you take their intellectual property and put it on another site. You are also using bandwidth from that site but providing them no revenue. When you don't do that, they have the right to switch images on you.

Quote:
And, even if this was "stealing", any kids who see these pictures aren't stealing anything.

This is kind of like setting a booby trap in your house... you are liable for injuries.

It's not the viewer who is 'stealing,' it's the person who posted the picture.

Cycloptichorn
ebrown p

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

It's not the viewer who is 'stealing,' it's the person who posted the picture.

The viewer (a child in my hypothetical example) is an innocent victim.

Consider what would happen if, to combat stealing, a store owner put poison in candy in such a way that he was sure that only stolen candy would ever be eaten with poison, and then the thieves gave this candy (with no reason to know that it was poison) to children for Halloween.

The store owner would certainly be liable if kids ate the candy (even though it was the thieves who did the stealing).

(I haven't conceded the point that hot-linking without permission is stealing)
Joeblow

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:41 pm
@Seed,
I appreciate the apology, Seed. I opened that at work. Completely freaked me out.
Seed

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:45 pm
@Joeblow,
Oh man, I'm so sorry!
Joeblow

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:48 pm
@Seed,
Me too. Didn't serve me right exactly, but that's what I get for using a work computer to browse here. Still, I was mad at you. I'm over it. Like I said, I appreciate the apology.
Seed

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 06:52 pm
@Joeblow,
Serves me right. I shouldn't be lazy when posting pictures.
0 Replies