Is Any Subject Off Limits When It Comes To Humour

djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:19 am
i think not myself

tere are of course tasteless jokes, and places and times to make such jokes, but in my mind everything and everyone is mockable (public events and public figures being the most mockable)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 07:45 am
I think, perhaps, that not everyone would agree with you . . .
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:06 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i think not myself

tere are of course tasteless jokes, and places and times to make such jokes, but in my mind everything and everyone is mockable (public events and public figures being the most mockable)

Well, that's the rub, isn't it? Everything is a fit subject for joking, but not every time or place is a fit opportunity for telling that joke. Your mother dying of cancer might be hilarious to me, but I doubt that you'd want to hear my devastatingly funny remarks about it.

The National Lampoon, in its "True Facts" feature, followed three basic rules of comedy: (1) exploding toilets are always funny; (2) dead babies are never funny, unless; (3) they were killed by exploding toilets. I have always tried to live my life according to these simple rules.
djjd62

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:18 am
@joefromchicago,
i can't think of a time, place or event that i wouldn't find the humour of a given situation

on my father's side of the family we have odd senses of humour, at my grandmothers funeral the funeral director had to ask a bunch of us to be quiet as the people at another funeral could hear us laughing as we related stories about her

when my father died my aunt (his sister and the loudest of laughers at said grandmother's funeral (her mother) and i were in the room with him

he had been laying there quiet, the nurse had told us it would not be long now and left us, a few moment slater he was restless for a second, and then made a noise something like a groan and a snort, and was gone, my aunt and i looked at each other and broke up laughing, it was the sort of noise he'd make when he'd fallen asleep i front of the tv and wake up and ask what he'd miss

we tried to compose ourselves but the nurse gave us some pretty strange looks

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:48 am
Used to be 9/11 was out of bounds, but recently I have heard jokes made about it.

retards, cancer, sick kids, losing your home
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 11:15 am
@djjd62,
This guy was on the cruise I just took. I thought he was good and only told jokes about death that were true stories in which people told him about and gave him permission to share those stories and make jokes about it.

0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 01:23 pm
Since the best humour is not really funny, it just disguises the tragic, probably nothing is out of bounds provided it is done properly. That's what would separate the good from the great performer.
0 Replies