• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,182 • Replies: 8
No top replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:57 pm
@gungasnake,
I don't like Beck much at all, but this was good. We have so few truth tellers now that even a Beck looks good by comparison.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
The guy says it's gonna get worse before it ever gets better and it's hard to contemplate trillion dollar annual deficits without believing that...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:26 pm
@gungasnake,
the bigger the boat the longer it takes to execute a turn.....our problem is that we have not even begun to seriously think about changing the rudder position. Beck was making the case that we need to do it, and he made a good case.
roger

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 11:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Reminds me of one of my own thoughts. The American economy seems somewhat like a huge flywheel. It can slow down quite a bit before anyone really notices. It can also take a long time to get back up to speed.
Irishk

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 10:07 am
Not sure if the Titanic had flywheels, but I like the big boat analogy.

Oh, look, there's Congress sipping brandy in the 1st class lounge.

(We the people, in steerage, are about to commandeer all the lifeboats).
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

the bigger the boat the longer it takes to execute a turn....

Pure unadulterated nonsense - at least 5 variables other than size of water-borne vessel account for over 90% of turning speed and radius. Is "hydrodynamics" a word to you - doubt it.
High Seas

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 02:22 pm
@roger,
Roger - that's the second law of thermodynamics, glad you discovered it independently but sorry to tell you it was known for a couple of millenia before Newton already. What worries me most isn't Newton's physics, or even Teller's (fan of Teller here, btw) it's the sheer volume of new patents obtained in scientific fields by Russians and Chinese. (*) Even Dick Feynman (a transcendent genius) had to share his Nobel Prize in Physics with a - very deserving - Japanese physicist. And now Obama cuts down the space program to zero - at some point the Tea Party may move on to not just vote him and acolytes to the outer darkness, but even to more serious measures - impeachment being one. Insurrection is in the air, and it's a fascinating thing to watch Smile
Quote:
An apparatus for changing the direction of travel of a sailing vessel, the said apparatus consisting of a watercraft which includes:(i) at least one moveable flap mounted on at the least one of a side of the watercraft, a bottom of the watercraft and a fore or aft section of the watercraft;(ii) at least one solenoid bank; and(iii) at least quick acting means for mechanical attachment to the sailing vessel,wherein when the watercraft is in close proximity of the sailing vessel, the at least one solenoid bank is energised so as to electromagnetically bring into contact the wall of the watercraft and the wall of the sailing vessel, the at least one quick acting means is activated to mechanically secure the watercraft to the sailing vessel, and the at least one moveable flap is moved to a position to at least one of retard forward movement and change the direction of travel of the sailing vessel.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090007832#ixzz0gDQGhfi5
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 03:24 pm
@High Seas,
Surely a noted language genius/expert like you realizes that that's a figure of speech, High Seas.

Is figure of speech within your ken - apparently not.
0 Replies