What Is The Best Motorola Droid Fone ?

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:25 pm

What Is The Best Motorola Droid Fone for ordinary walking around,
with a LOUD Speaker fone built-in ?

I used to have a Motorola i95 fone,
but it has battery problems (hard to make a connection to re-charge).
I use my landline at home now, since I have retired.

It looks like there r many different Droid models.
I wonder what thay DO? (I'm kinda electronically ignorant.)

Any advice ?

David

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 4,287 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
There is only one Motorola Droid on the market in the US as far as I know. There are other android phones on the market, and of them I would say the Nexus One is slightly superior to the Droid, but they aren't compatible with the same cellular networks so if you are on Verizon go with the Droid, if you are on ATT or T-Mobile then go with the Nexus One.
The Chief

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hey David:

What I love about the Motorola Droid - well, one of the hundred things I love about it - is that is has a LOUD speaker. This proves well for both speakerphone calls and the built in music player. I can sit it on the bathroom counter and hear the music over the water while I'm showering. It has crystal clear sound, and has never dropped a call.

Today my Darling Bride needed to see a chiropractor. IMMEDIATELY. I used Voice Search and said "Chiropractor" to the Droid. It googled the term and brought up 3 of them near me. I clicked on one, hit "directions" and "navigate" and it gave me turn-by-turn navigation guidance all the way to the doctor's office. Things like that are priceless to me, and saved me a ton of time looking through the yellow pages, making phone calls and asking directions.

With the Android Applications Market I have downloaded music players, games, utilities, facebook and news widgets that keep me entertained and in the know, up to the minute.

All this in the palm of my hand! I hope this helps. You cannot go wrong with a Droid.

On the other hand, my son has an HTC Droid Eris. It is not the MOTOROLA Droid, which I think you asked about. It has no slideout keyboard (not that it matters much, the predictive text is awesome) and has a prettier interface... and it has seven home screens vs. the Droid's stock three (there are home replacements in the app market that increase it to 7 though). But it also lacks turn-by-turn GPS navigation. So it's a matter of personal preference.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
There is only one Motorola Droid on the market in the US as far as I know. There are other android phones on the market, and of them I would say the Nexus One is slightly superior to the Droid, but they aren't compatible with the same cellular networks so if you are on Verizon go with the Droid, if you are on ATT or T-Mobile then go with the Nexus One.
Thank u, Robert. My Google search revealed several models.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/gallery/handsets/motorola-droid/

I wondered what thay do, what their relative advantages are ?

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:56 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:
Hey David:

What I love about the Motorola Droid - well, one of the hundred things I love about it - is that is has a LOUD speaker. This proves well for both speakerphone calls and the built in music player. I can sit it on the bathroom counter and hear the music over the water while I'm showering. It has crystal clear sound, and has never dropped a call.

Today my Darling Bride needed to see a chiropractor. IMMEDIATELY. I used Voice Search and said "Chiropractor" to the Droid. It googled the term and brought up 3 of them near me. I clicked on one, hit "directions" and "navigate" and it gave me turn-by-turn navigation guidance all the way to the doctor's office. Things like that are priceless to me, and saved me a ton of time looking through the yellow pages, making phone calls and asking directions.

With the Android Applications Market I have downloaded music players, games, utilities, facebook and news widgets that keep me entertained and in the know, up to the minute.

All this in the palm of my hand! I hope this helps. You cannot go wrong with a Droid.

On the other hand, my son has an HTC Droid Eris. It is not the MOTOROLA Droid, which I think you asked about. It has no slideout keyboard (not that it matters much, the predictive text is awesome) and has a prettier interface... and it has seven home screens vs. the Droid's stock three (there are home replacements in the app market that increase it to 7 though). But it also lacks turn-by-turn GPS navigation. So it's a matter of personal preference.
Thank u, Chief. I consulted Google, before posting
this thread and it showed several models.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/gallery/handsets/motorola-droid/

Do u have any comments about any of the relative advantages
or shortcomings of any of them ?

I will also look into to the one that your son has,
for which I thank u.

David
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Those are all pictures of the same model, David. All the Motorola Droid, just in various poses. It's a multi-tasking little devil LOL
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:
Those are all pictures of the same model, David. All the Motorola Droid, just in various poses.
It's a multi-tasking little devil LOL
Understood; I am surprized.
If u were to get a new fone
woud u get the one your son has, for its additional features,
or get another Motorola Droid ?
The Chief

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I have tried the Eris and I must say this: given the opportunity, I would choose the Droid all over again. No contest. Even my son keeps asking to see MY phone... not the other way around LOL
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:45 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:
I have tried the Eris and I must say this: given the opportunity, I would choose the Droid all over again. No contest. Even my son keeps asking to see MY phone... not the other way around LOL
I see. Apparently, it is only $50; very inexpensive!
My old fone was served by Nextel. U prefer Verizon ?
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Be aware that the eye is an important tool in all these G phones. I have had trouble seeing everything on my blackberry (I hadda use reading glasses).
Im gonna look into a droid as soon as my plan is up in a month
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 07:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I had T-Mobile when I moved here and their coverage was awful. In my new area Verizon reigns supreme... but then, everywhere I have traveled, Verizon is there with phone and 3G data service! Their customer service is stellar and you can't beat the network. Keep in mind when you get a Droid that it's a smartphone and requires a $30/month unlimited data plan. And with that gorgeous screen, you may not be able to stay away from YouTube in High Quality! Just a heads up, that'll add to the bottom line. Well worth it, though. I can pretty much surf anywhere.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:
I had T-Mobile when I moved here and their coverage was awful. In my new area Verizon reigns supreme... but then, everywhere I have traveled, Verizon is there with phone and 3G data service! Their customer service is stellar and you can't beat the network. Keep in mind when you get a Droid that it's a smartphone and requires a $30/month unlimited data plan. And with that gorgeous screen, you may not be able to stay away from YouTube in High Quality! Just a heads up, that'll add to the bottom line. Well worth it, though. I can pretty much surf anywhere.
$30 unlimited minutes ??
I was paying $50 a month for maybe 2 hours, was it ??

How is the battery life ?
Mine ran out the battery fast.

How many fone numbers can u store in it?

What are its dimensions ?
Ragman

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@The Chief,
I'm amazed at the depth and great help this forum has. Ty all for the questions you ask and the answers you provide. This up-to-the-moment stuff on the Droid I probably could find elsewhere but in drips and drabs...but on A2K here I don't have to leave the confines of my 'hangout' over the last 10 yrs.

So far battery life is fair . I'm on the road relocating my place of residence, so I'll tell you more in a day or so. I keep it charged but use it a lot (downloaded a great app. called UrbanSpoon ..restaurant finder). The screen is set to a 2 minute shut off of the display.
0 Replies

The Chief

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's $30 unlimited DATA. You still need a voice plan for it as well. I recommend http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home as a starting place. As far as battery life goes, I can easily go all day on a charge and then let it recharge in the dock at night (makes a great night clock!). As far as I know, you can store 1000 contacts on it, all backed up with Google.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:
That's $30 unlimited DATA.
Which data?

The Chief wrote:
You still need a voice plan for it as well.
How much is that ?
Is it possible to pay in advance?
I 'm at home a lot, unless I 'm travelling on vacation,
so for the most part, I have used my landline.

The Chief wrote:
I recommend http://phones.verizonwireless.com/motorola/droid/#/home as a starting place.
As far as battery life goes, I can easily go all day on a charge and then let it recharge in the dock at night
(makes a great night clock!). As far as I know, you can store 1000 contacts on it, all backed up with Google.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 06:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
This isn't just a phone, it's a pocket computer. So you will pay for both phone minutes as well as a "data" plan, and in the context of mobile "data plan" means an internet connection plan.

So you pay $30/month for unlimited internet use on your phone in addition to anything you pay for the phone minutes etc.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 07:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Wow, not a bad deal at all. I'll have to look into this when I have need to replace the $10 Track phone I got for my drive from CA to NM last year. At the moment, I don't have much need for anything other than standby mode for emergency calls when I'm away from home on errands.

Here's CNet's review of it:

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-droid-verizon-wireless/4505-6452_7-33783559.html

They also have a side-by-side video comparison between the iPhone 3GS and the Motorola Droid where you can see both in actual operation.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-6452_7-380.html
The Chief

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
The Droid will become your new best friend Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:18 pm
@The Chief,
The Chief wrote:
The Droid will become your new best friend Smile
I don 't make as much use of cell fones as I did before I retired.
I remain home a lot.
Is it possible to buy a specific number of minutes
that I can keep until I need more of them ?
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 08:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
why dont you just buy one of those phones for old timers. (Cricket?). It allows a "minutes used only" plan and it only allows phone calls and takes phone messages and the numbers are REALLY BIG (and Im sure you could have em inbright David-like colors)