Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:22 pm
Still waiting...

I posted a question a while ago asking why we need insurance companies. I ask people this question all the time and I'm still waiting for an answer.
I asked my dad what would happen if suddenly there were no insurance companies. He looked at me and said, "Well for one, I wouldn't have any insurance." I told him that he would, he would still have his medicare. Honestly outside of just being another group with their hand out, what do they contribute?
Anthem Blue cross in California just sent notices to its customers that they were raising their rates 39%. When asked why they said it was because of the rising cost of health care. Anthem Blue Cross's parent company, WellPoint Inc. earned a record 2.7 billion in profits for the last quarter of 2009. Where are these profits coming from? Five of the nations largest insurance carriers had a combined 12.2 billion in profits in 2009.
Currently, the U.S. pays almost twice what most other industrialized countries pay for healthcare.
National health insurance would drastically cut administrative costs by eliminating the role of competing private health insurance companies. Instead, insurance would be provided from one source only: the federal government. Private insurance company bureaucracy and related administrative waste eats up 31% of the total cost of healthcare in the U.S., according to the New England Journal of Medicine.
We have a national program for seniors, medicare, and it works. That program can be extended to all under single payer health care bill HR676. Existing public sources already cover 60% of the cost of healthcare in the U.S. (Medicare, Medicaid, VA, state programs,etc.)
People would be able to consistently receive basic care that we know leads to better health results"prevention, regular treatment for common conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes, etc. When people end up in the emergency room with illnesses that should have been caught at a much earlier stage, it costs all of us MORE money.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:40 pm
@auroreII,
Granted, the health care system in this country totally sucks. The insurance companies are out to make money and they make a truckload of it. However, in this country when the government gets involved it becomes far MORE expensive. Obama is trying to privatize NASA because of the huge amount of waste coming from the government. We need a new type of government that is actually on the side of the people.
Amigo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 10:44 pm
@auroreII,
Great question, great info. I'll be back.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 11:20 pm
@NickFun,
Seems I should have asked why do we need private health insurance companies. Obama's health care plan would force people to buy private insurance. I believe he had the backing of those companies. I believe his plan would have cost us big time. Single payer healthcare, seems far better than private because the money for health care goes to the actual caregiver and not into the pockets of private insurers.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 02:34 am
@auroreII,
Insurance companies provide a no interest capital sum in exchange for a small yearly contribution.

Insurance is a bet just lioke on a horse race except in reverse. it is also a means of capital raising. insurance is also a means of wealth redistribution almost like one of those pyramid schemes where everyone sends 5.00 to the person at the top o the list eventually you come to the top and (supposedly) get a large amount.
All the people who dont claim are paying money to the people who do claim.

eg.
1. i bet you $325.00 each year that my house will burn down.
2. i bet you 1500.00 each year that i will get really sick.

Now, if my house does burn down or i get really sick i need to either go to the bank and borrow money to rebuild pay bills or somehow come up with a large amount of money in a short period of time. insurance companies provide the lump sum in exchange for a yearly contribution

Think about becoming your own insurance company. This is called self insurance
Try this on for size.
put 1000.00 into a share portfolio each year and reinvest the return. after 10 years you have capital $10,000 plus whatever the compounded return may have provided say averaged at 8% per annum, thats probably around 2000. so now you have $12,000. enough to pay a fair swag of medical bills. Continue compounding and adding 1000.00 per year. Add money at 100 per month if that suits you

Of course you need to weigh up the risk that something will happen and you may not have enough money in your self insurance account.
Another benefit can be the ability to borrow using the amount you have saved as collatoral.

For medical insurance whilst you are young i think self insurance is a fairly good bet. i wish i had done it years ago.
auroreII

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 03:21 pm
@dadpad,
When I was young I was told to just get an inexpensive healthcare policy for myself, an expensive one was more than I would need- being young.
Anthem's vice president when asked about the rise in its insurance costs stated that healthcare is very expensive. The amount they get charged by hospitals is going up, pharmacy costs are going up about 13% and because of the economy they are finding a lot of younger healthier individuals are dropping their coverage. Because those healthier people are dropping their coverage the sick people who still have insurance must pay more.
Still it doesn't explain theri profits.
It would seem the pyramid scheme wouldn't work when there are more old sick people drawing money out than young people putting money in like what might happen as the baby boom generation ages.
0 Replies