Is the collocation proper?

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:04 am
Can "mighty" collocates with "King of Truth"?

O you mighty King of Truth!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:35 am
no one uses the word collocate oris. most people do not know its meaning (me included).

O you mighty King of Truth!
That sentence works.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:53 am
@oristarA,
You have conjugated the verb "to colocate" incorrectly:

Can "mighty" colocate (no "s" on the end) with "King of Truth?" (The style i learned places the punctuation mark--a question mark in this case--within the quote marks.)

I agree with DP, the verb "collocate" is jargon, language used by a special group to both obfuscate and to signal one's participation in a special group--in this case, teachers of English. Nobody else, to my knowledge, ever uses it. It's also a silly neologism, because "co-" is used to signal congruity, while the verb is created from the verb to locate. Therefore, "collocate" with two "l-s" is just silly.
oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:23 am
Of course what I wanted to express is 'Can "mighty" collocate with "King of Truth"?' No "s" behind the word "collocate". That's just a typo.

Thank you both.

But at least three of my dictionaries, including American Heritage Dictionary, tell me the word "collocate" is a formal word.

For example:
(AHD) collocate: To place together or in proper order; arrange side by side.

Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
collocate verb
to often be used together in a way that sounds correct to people who have spoken the language all their lives, but might not be expected from the meaning

Anyway, thank you both.

oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:27 am
I got it!
The word collocate is Latin! Etymology says. No wonder you don't know it.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:29 am
@oristarA,
I'm curious why you think mighty and king would not be used together.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:30 am
@oristarA,
People "know" the word. It simply isn't used in common speech or writing.

If someone used collocate in their writing or conversation, it would suggest to me that they don't use English regularly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:42 am
@oristarA,
We know it, we just don't use it. In using it, you make it plain that you are either not a native speaker of English, or a language dweeb. Of course, we know you are not a dweeb--nor a native speaker of English.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:44 am
By the say, your assumption about Latin is foolish. Latin is a huge contributor to the English language, we use words derived from Latin every day, and usually are aware of it, too.
sullyfish6

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:59 am
O you darling little girl.

O you hunk a hunk of burning love.

Same structure.
It's a salutation (greeting) or lamentation
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:12 am
@Setanta,
My true feeling toward Latin is that the language is academic. Is the assumption foolish, Set? Very Happy
Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:22 am
@oristarA,
Yes, it is. About 40% of the English language came from French, and that includes literally tens of thousands of Latin and Greek roots.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:56 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
because "co-" is used to signal congruity, while the verb is created from the verb to locate. Therefore, "collocate" with two "l-s" is just silly.

Thanks for that brilliant piece of analysis on spelling, OmSig.

More likely, you just spelled it wrong, Set and decided "what the hell, what's a lie or two to cover my tracks".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:59 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, Ori, it collocates nicely with that phrase. And your use was perfectly apt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:01 pm
@oristarA,
English is one of the languages that is easier to learn if you have at least a basic understanding of Latin (and its rules and regulations).
JTT

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
English is one of the languages that is easier to learn if you have at least a basic understanding of Latin (and its rules and regulations).

I don't understand how knowing the rules and "regulations" of Latin would help anyone learn English, ehBeth.
0 Replies