"Pulled" bread and other holiday regionalisms

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:01 pm
Yesterday I e mailed the wife of a cousin the ancestral recipe for scalloped oysters, including "2 cups of pulled bread".

She replied, "What is pulled bread?"

To my mind EVERYBODY knows you "pull" bread into bits for scalloped oysters and turkey stuffing and other bulk-up-the-protein recipes.

Now, if you don't call it "pulled" bread, what do you call it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,609 • Replies: 21
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 01:03 pm
torn, maybe?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 02:07 pm
macsm 11--

Possibly.

Once I was happy, but now I'm forlorn
Just like oyster bread, I'm tattered and torn....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 03:20 pm
I had a totally different idea of what the title of this topic meant. I was imagining a stretchy bread and something like a taffy pulling contest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 05:34 pm
I'm with craven. I came here expecting to find a recipe for some kind of stretchy bread. Pulled bread. Can't really picture it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:01 pm
You may have "pulled bread" , but I'll stick with my Indian Pudding.
Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:14 pm
Bread crumbs!

(Pull apart the bread, make crumbs. Use for stuffing, etc.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:26 pm
Bread crumbs to me means left-over bread that has been slowly dried in the oven and then run through the food processor. Crumbs.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:10 pm
I've heard of pulled pork, but never pulled bread. Pulled pork is just pork pulled to bits, so why NOT pulled bread?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:21 pm
Pulled bread gets a ton of hits on google - off to read a couple.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:22 pm
here's one from a site called something like - what gramma's gramma used to make

Pulled Bread Recipe

Remove the crust from a loaf of fresh-baked bread and cut and pull the loaf into halves, lengthwise; repeat this cutting and pulling until the pieces are about an inch thick; they may be the length of the loaf or shorter. Dry these in a slack oven until they snap when broken. They should be amber in color, Reheat before serving.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:23 pm
Enquire within offers the following:

1021. Pulled Bread.--Take from the oven an ordinary load when it is about half baked, and with the fingers, while the bread is yet hot, dexterously pull the half-set dough into pieces of irregular shape, about the size of an egg. Don't attempt to smooth or flatten them--the rougher their shapes the better. Set upon tins, place in a very slow oven, and bake to a rich brown. This forms a deliciously crisp crust for cheese. If you do not bake at home, your baker will prepare it for you, if ordered. Pulled bread may be made in the revolving ovens. It is very nice with wine instead of biscuits.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:26 pm
The recipes seem a lot more like unseasoned croutons than anything else. There are a few more like the ones I've posted. Interesting. My mother puts home-made croutons in her stuffing instead of bread or breadcrumbs. I guess she's using pulled bread. I'll have to let her know!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:29 pm
Many thanks to all. I am perpetually amazed by the resources of Google.

I'm not sure that "my" baker--a supermarket with in-store ovens to "bake" goods that are shipped from national headquarters would be delighted to make pulled bread for me, but these are decadent and slothful times.

Now, if the snow arrives as promised and if my strength holds up, I'll make my scalloped oysters, gather up the left over bread and deep fry it as a treat for the local birds.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:34 pm
Of course, you had to make me go to Google to find out what Scalloped Oysters are!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 07:36 pm
click here to find out what i learned (this is the 'nicest' link)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:36 pm
eBeth--

The cooks of New Orleans certainly know their oysters--on and off the half shell--but cracker crumbs are not part of Yankee scalloped oysters.

Of course, no one will immortalize my version of the family recipe, either.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 09:41 pm
Noddy, since pulled bread is a toasted crispy bread, it would seem that cracker crumbs aren't too far off. All of the recipes that i looked at listed some crunchy bread/crouton/cracker thing in the recipe.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 10:28 pm
Well, isn't that grate? If we want pulled bread, we are going to have to go to google with 'slack oven', and it'll probably refer us to 'pulled bread'.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 11:16 pm
Scalloped oysters are like grandchildren. Every matriarch knows that her personal, ancestral version is far superior to any other, but smiles politely when lesser families present their offerings.

Of course no one comes to a church social solely for my scalloped oysters --but all the same they are an elegant family treasure.
0 Replies