two phrases

fansy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:51 am
Quote:
Indeed, language users do not pay attention to the stylistic peculiarities of the phrases they use, and do not reflect much on the origin of the words they utilize on a daily basis. Indeed, usage of idiomatic expressions is par for the course for us, and we do not notice the beauty of the language we speak. English idiomatic language is a real diamond in the rough, which has enormous topical variety of forms and fascinating and surprising origins.

Please explane the two bolded parts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 311 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:13 am
Par for the course is an expression from the game of golf, and it means what is expected. (If you play a game of golf, the "par" for an 18 hole course is 72--you are expected to complete the course in 72 shots. If you accomplish that, you have shot the "par for the course.")

Topical variety means just what it's constituent words mean, i don't understand why you don't understand. It's not as though it were a stock phrase, or even commonly used.

The passage is badly written, and i suspect that it was not written by a native speaker of English. Starting to sentences in a row with "indeed" is lame, and an awkward use of the language.
0 Replies