stand to/for reason

fansy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 03:21 am
I found the meaning of "stand to reason"; but I failed to find the meaning of "stand for reason". Do they mean the same?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 440 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:03 am
Quote:
stand for reason

never heard that before.

it stands to reason is the version i have always used.
Note the plural "stands" with an s on the end
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:32 am
"It" is third person singular, which is why one writes "it stands to reason." I completely agree with DP, i've never hear of "stand for reason." Sounds to me like something which one would get from someone who is not a native speaker of English.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:03 am
@Setanta,
I wonder about the usage of the phrase.

For instance -

When it comes to reading posts by Spendi, I stand for reason.

In that case, "stand for reason" means I am with reason and against unreasonableness.
Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:08 am
@parados,
Such a usage occurred to me, too, but i didn't want to confuse the issue for our non-native speaker friend here. I greatly enjoy, however, your exposition here.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 08:52 am
@parados,
Quote:
However, on the other hand, non-standard phrases make a pile of understanding hassles to English learners, who helplessly try to gain an understanding of all intricate words and phrases, invented by the language speakers impromptu.
This really stands for some reason, because the most difficult aspect of learning another language is not a great bulk of its vocabulary, but an extensive number of non-standard phrases.

The above is the context in which "stands for reason" is used. Please help me decide if it is a correct usage.
0 Replies