Covers that are better than the original

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 06:00 pm
@panzade,
POM, I didn't either though it was the Eagles that did me in.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2012 10:32 pm
@panzade,
I am a very hetero woman. I like men, particularly men with body hair but entertainers who make certain theirs show make me dismiss them.

The store where I work subscribes to Sirius radio which is awful. I never listened to Top 40 radio if I could avoid it. Thanks to Sirius, I now hear a lot of Top 40 . . . in retrospect! Falsetto singing drives me up the wall.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:43 am
The cast of Glee recently did their own version of a Korean pop hit that somehow has become an international phenomenon.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:11 pm
Kendra Morris did a soulful version of a Pink Floyd song.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 03:39 pm
Ola Bieńkowska perfectly handles the difficult vocals of Great Gig in the Sky (originally performed and created by Clare Torry).

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 12:32 pm
I like Ray Charles cover of Melanie's, "what have they done to my song Ma"
I don't know who originally wrote or sang, "I can't stand the rain " but Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner and a singer in the movie "The Commitments" all did versions I love.
Linda Ronstadt did a great job on "Bayou"

There is a group from Finland called "The Leningrad Cowboys" who covered "Sweet Home Alabama" that might not be better but it's very good. I haven't been able to buy their music in the States, but I see them on YouTube.

Now for something truly obscene, Pat Boone covers "Stairway to Heaven". He should be deported, unfortunately we can't deport him.

In the latter part of her career, Tina Turner has performed "addicted to love", "Honkey Tonk Women", as well as redone "Come Together" " River Deep, Mountain High" and a bunch of her earlier covers, but her voice and presentation actually improved so they practically sound new.
panzade

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:07 pm
@glitterbag,
Good stuff gb.
Ann Peebles did the song originally
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:13 pm
@panzade,
Do you know when she recorded it?
panzade

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:17 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2013 10:44 pm
@panzade,
Thanks, I must remember her, I checked out her recordings and I recognize a lot of tunes, and a lot covered by other singers. "Can't stand the Rain" was recorded by a ton of recording artists, but somehow that flew over my head. I remember it first by Aretha (I think) but maybe it was Peebles, it's one of my favorite songs.
panzade

Reply Sat 8 Jun, 2013 11:26 am
@glitterbag,
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/39187411/Ann+Peebles.jpg

Peebles was one of a stable of Memphis soul singers on HI records that included Al Green OV Wright Otis Clay and Willie Mitchell.
OV Wright was my favorite and I collected quite a few of his HI 45s

A photo of Royal Studios where they recorded
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Royal_Recording_Studios.jpg/800px-Royal_Recording_Studios.jpg
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 02:21 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Nellys "just a dream" cover by Sam Tsui and christina Grimmie on youtube. Look it up. WAAAY better IMO.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 08:31 am

The cover is nice; a little more fragile and gentle.
The guitar is replaced by a piano arpeggio.
Perhaps the two versions are aimed at different demographics.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 08:50 pm
For years, I've enjoyed the Annie Lenox CD, Medusa. I particularly love the opening cut, "No More I Love Yous," which she does in a lush, romantico-pop style in a tempo that demands an ice ballet with a male and female pair and finishes with the woman in a triumphant solo because it is a break up song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEdpazLzYps

It's one of those punk products which become so outstanding as a ballad. Written by Joseph Hughes and David Freeman, neither of whom were known to me until I decided to look up the song a week or two ago.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 11:19 pm
I won't say better, but very damn good...

plainoldme

Reply Sun 30 Jun, 2013 09:34 am
@Rockhead,
I've heard a few pieces by Mike who performs under the name Passenger. He's good. He's got a charming stage presence and he's cute. What more can a member of his potential audience ask?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 2 Jul, 2013 06:41 pm
Mimi Page is a 26 year old alternative rock vocalist who does an interesting version of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.

0 Replies

justaguy567

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I like this cover of depeche mode very much

I think placebo's way of doing this song is much better.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 06:03 am
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 05:01 pm
Not a cover but all of you here will enjoy the movie, "20 feet from stardom," which is about backup singers.