Uncovered - the original version

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:24 pm
I've often said that cover versions expose great songs to generations that would never of heard them because the original artist is lost in historical obscurity.

This thread is for original versions not commonly known. Obviously that's subjective - I'm sure some of you with longer memories than mine knew this track was from the Young Rascals, but to me 'You Better Run' was a Pat Benatar number (link to the PB version for comparison).

I forgive in advance any young takker who posts Don McLean's 'American Pie' because they've just discovered Madonna's isn't the original.....

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 09:54 pm
Funny ... I was just listening to a cover, and saw this thread. Let me post the video of the cover, then I'll post on topic.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:04 pm
@hingehead,
My kids had no idea the Fugees didn't sing this song originally.

Roberta Flack wasn't the original recording artist, but she sang it a few years after the original recording by Lori Lieberman. It was composed after Lierberman saw a Don McLean concert. I prefer the Roberta Flack version.

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:14 pm
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:22 pm

You thought Soft Cell's version was the original?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:23 pm
hingehead

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:33 pm
@Ticomaya,
Hey Tico, I knew the Lori Leiberman story but that's the first time I've heard her original (that I believe Flack heard on an aeroplane).

I knew the original Bobby McGee too - much prefer Joplin's. Likewise knew Gloria Jones did the original version of Ed Cobb's song - and that she was driving the minicab in the car accident that killed Marc Bolan.

Great posts.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:35 pm
In a similar vein to Tico's

Here's the original version of Leiber and Stoller's big hit for Elvis

Just how did two Jewish kids from New York pen and record a track for Big Mama in 1954?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 10:43 pm
I'm guessing in terms of record sales the version of the Loved One from INXS's 1987 album 'Kick' is the most heard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFzNhImSngQ

But I first heard the sond in 1981 and loved this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfihk0_zwjc

But this is the original, recorded in 1966
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:00 pm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:03 pm
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:05 pm
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:12 pm
In think most folks know this wasn't originally sung by UB40 ...

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:17 pm

hingehead

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:23 pm
@Ticomaya,
Controversy at last!

Apparently the Gladys Knight and the Pips version was the third recorded - but the first released - she was 'pipped' first by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Berry Gordy hated their version) and then the well know Marvin Gaye version was recorded but not released until after the GK&P version.

What a lovely little trivia snippet to wrap the day up on.

The full wikpediea entry
hingehead

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:24 pm
@Ticomaya,
Someone else did Once Bitten? I've only ever known it as Ian Hunter song.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:32 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Someone else did Once Bitten? I've only ever known it as Ian Hunter song.

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:36 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
Controversy at last!

Apparently the Gladys Knight and the Pips version was the third recorded - but the first released - she was 'pipped' first by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (Berry Gordy hated their version) and then the well know Marvin Gaye version was recorded but not released until after the GK&P version.

Yes, but when a tree falls in the forest, and nobody hears it, does it really make a sound? Cool
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 01:22 am
Before the Creedence Clearwater version:

Couldn't resist posting this version, too.
Go Marvin! :

hingehead

Reply Mon 9 May, 2011 04:30 am
@Ticomaya,
Of course, Great White covered it. That's what I mean about subjective, in Oz we get a blend of US and UK top 40 stuff whereas you don't always get the UK stuff. The Great White version didn't have much of an impact here. Of course the Ian Hunter version didn't either - I just happened to be in a band that covered it around 1980.
0 Replies