Somniphobi & Hypersomnia

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:36 pm
I used to have a very mild bit of somniphobi from time to time; not because of insomnia, but because when I was young my father used to tell me that "death was like going to sleep and never waking up".

What a thing to say to an impressionable kid!

Any-who these days I find that (if anything) I enjoy sleep too much and that if I have the time, I'll keep sleeping longer than perhaps need-be (hypersomnia).

How 'bout you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,820 • Replies: 16
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:49 pm
@Chumly,
I really, really like sleep.

My kid had one of her periodic bouts of vomiting last night (a stomach bug has been raging through the community and I was pleasantly surprised that she held out this long). I slept propped up against the foot of her bed and after initially being up from about 1 AM to 4 AM, would drift off to sleep just as she began another bout, every half hour or so. Just before one of those I thought, "sleep is the most wonderful thing in the world."

Of course, health is right up there (she seems to be doing much better now, we'll see).

I'm functioning surprisingly OK on, dunno, maybe 3 hours of sleep total? But can't wait to get to bed tonight.

I need to keep my days scheduled in part because if I have no particular reason to get out of bed, I can get really stuck. ("Just five more minutes" and another hour has passed by...)
chai2

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
I love sleep too.

I don't begrudge myself sleep, it's one of the beautiful pleasures in life.
Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:01 pm
I was working extra-long weekdays (paid overtime but so what) to make up for being closed for the Olympics.

Now that I have the chance to catch up (the Olympics have started and we are all off for two weeks) I'm having a hard time doing much else but sleeping, snacking, and watching the tube.

After the Olympics are over and I return to teaching there will be another lame stretch of extra-long weekdays and likely sleep deprivation. All to make up for my educational institute being closed during the Olympics.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:07 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Be careful how you touch her for she’ll awaken
And sleep’s the only freedom that she knows
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:11 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
my father used to tell me that "death was like going to sleep and never waking up".

Ironically, one concept which helped me overcome childhood fear of death was that the "self" dies every night during dreamless sleep.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:12 pm
@sozobe,
Poor deary Sozlet. How are you both feeling right about now? Can you sleep in tomorrow sozobe?
sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Aw, thanks. She's doing much better, hasn't been nauseous since this morning and has been gradually getting fluids and nutrition into her, tired now but mostly fine, bedtime soon!

I'm fine as of now, we'll see how things go. Can definitely sleep in tomorrow if she's fine and doesn't need me.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:33 pm
@fresco,
Interesting!
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:10 pm
@Chumly,
You exhibit one of the symptoms of sleep apnea. Has your bed buddy kicked you enough to leave marks or draw blood? Then maybe its organic in nature related to your nasal septa.
Amigo

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 10:49 pm
Sleep;

It's free, you don't need your wallet

You can't get in trouble or arrested
you can't be disappointed
You don't have to drive anywhere so you can't get A ticket or an accident
it requires no energy or elaborate equipment

And then you just wake up when somthing good is going on. We were thinking about starting some sleep society.
Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:17 pm
@farmerman,
Sleep apnea aside, did you see the Corner Gas episode about the sport of static apnea?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:23 pm
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:

I used to have a very mild bit of somniphobi from time to time; not because of insomnia, but because when I was young my father used to tell me that "death was like going to sleep and never waking up".

What a thing to say to an impressionable kid!

Any-who these days I find that (if anything) I enjoy sleep too much and that if I have the time, I'll keep sleeping longer than perhaps need-be (hypersomnia).

How 'bout you?

That's fascinating!!

I have treated kids with sleep phobias, and what your dad said can sure as hell be a trigger!

Other triggers have been the hypnogogic state...you know, just before you go to sleep...where weird thoughts and hallucinations are very common...some kids have experienced odd things in that state and become phobic. Or, you know when you have that weird wake-up where you feel like you fell into your bed from a great height? Some kids get terrified by that.

Now? My sleep is weird. I am sometimes insomniac, but mainly only in bed!

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:30 pm
@Amigo,
Snoozin’ . . . on a Sunday afternoon
Really couldn't get away too soon
I can't imagine anything that's better
The world is ours whenever we're together
There ain't a place I'd like to be instead of . . .

Snoozin’ . . . down a crowded avenue
Doin' anything we like to do
There's always lots of things that we can see
We can be anyone we want to be
And all those happy people we could meet just . . .

Ah-ha-ha [3 times]

We'll keep on spending sunny days this way
We're gonna talk and laugh our time away
I feel it comin' closer day by day
Life would be ecstasy, you and me endlessly . . .
Ah-ha-ha [3 times]
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 06:23 am

sleep gooooood!

though i am plagued by the occasional bout of insomnia.
doesn't seem to matter how much i might've tuckered myself out during the day.
some nights i just toss n' turn for a while, give up, get up and do something productive (aka a2k)...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 07:54 am
slept 10 hours... delovely...
0 Replies

demilovato

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 03:51 am
@Chumly,
I think sleep well is very important.
0 Replies