Stalking the Diagnosis = approaching the diagnosis?

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:47 am
stalk = come close to?

Context:
Stalking the Diagnosis
Direct the investigation and select the treatment for a 58-year-old woman with dizziness, weakness, urinary frequency, fever, and dry mouth. Learn interactively, get immediate feedback, and compare your performance with that of others.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 873 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 06:51 am
To stalk is a hunting term, and it means to follow the animal (or in more cruel terms, a man or woman) which you wish to kill. Stalking is following the animal until one has a good opportunity to attempt to kill them.

Here it is being used figuratively, and it means to search for the diagnosis. This is a poor use of the verb to stalk.
oristarA

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:17 am
@Setanta,
It is from an important article from http://content.nejm.org/. Click the link (the page is for China's users, you might see a different page when access from USA) to check it out. Because it is from NEJM, so I supposed it was a good use of English. Smile

Thanks.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:25 am
I see where you were going, though. Stalk, to me, seems evocative of following clues assiduously...like a hunter / scientist, who will never give up until her has bagged his prey / diagnosis... But, in common "American vernacular," yeah...the oddity of the usage would perplex readers.
0 Replies