Is cracking during yoga healthy?

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 10:09 am
I've began dedicating at least an hour of intense workout a day, along with an hour and a half of yoga, for about three weeks now. I've noticed I seem to excessively crack in my knees during, and sometimes after if I kneel. I know it's not unusual to crack during yoga, although no other part of my body is actually cracking.

I've had physical therapy for my knees in the past (about 5th grade) because my cartilage was uneven. I also needed strength training for my outer thighs because my knee caps had the tendency to slide to the inside of my legs. I know this might have something to do with it, but I haven't had problems with my knees for about 5 years now. They occasionally crack, but I have no pain. I have no pain during yoga either.

Should I be concerned that they crack? I know repeated cracking can be damaging, and I don't want to over do anything and bring back any problems I previously had. I've read around a little bit, but nothing directly answers this question. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,479 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 10:22 am

i've had creaky joints for some time now, but never really understood it.

there might be some good info on the subject here --
http://www.ctds.info/popping_jaws.html
http://www.creakyjoints.org/
Lifeisart

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2010 07:55 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thank you for the links; the first one made me feel slightly better about my choice of yoga.
0 Replies

Timothyford

Reply Tue 29 Jan, 2013 03:35 am
@Lifeisart,
Cracking sounds are one of the symptoms of Arthritis.
djesse551

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2013 07:48 pm
@Timothyford,
I also agree, if we experience cracking sounds, we might consider we have Arthritis. Better have a check up with a doctor so that you can be sure on what is currently happening to your body
0 Replies

johnats

Reply Thu 10 Oct, 2013 11:48 pm
Joints creaking is nothing unusual in humans. But it is also not a good sign if it does excessively. Observe when this happens. See if it only occurs during specific movements or always. Consult with your physician to see if it should be something to be concerned about. While yoga movements run much less risk towards injury than any other sport, you needn't be too worried. but it is better to be able to put a finger on where the problem is.
0 Replies