What do you think about threaded forum software?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:06 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
..but people want different things, and it's fair and reasonable and kind to offer choices, seems to me

the definition of everything is the same as for nothing. Trying to be all things to all people makes a2k nothing. No matter why a person is here there will always be another place that suits their needs better, and they will leave, or never come.

a social group formed around a2k, but its reason for existence was always that it was a place to come to hold a quality conversation. It is the content of the conversations held here that was the value of a2k, a place where one could hear opinions from people of all kinds of backgrounds who told it like they felt that it is. It was something that we cant get in the real life of political correctness where conversations are strangled by radical and enforced conversation policing. We used to be upfront that if you wanted to be told what you wanted to hear that you should go someplace else because here at a2k you would get told the truth, now a person does not see or hear anything that they dont want to. And then we got hit with the popularity BS, and the destruction of the sense of place because individuals can now change their experience of a2k at will so now there is no longer a singular a2k.....
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Trying to do a combination where every person has no idea of how the person they are speaking with is experiencing the conversation is nuts.

The most widely used forum software titles (you know, the ones you complain we don't use instead of this custom software) have already been doing that for a decade now without the gloom and doom you predict.

Don't you get the theme? How the sky doesn't fall even though you keep saying it is?

Aaaaah, Hawk's only joy is through misery and discontent.

Every change you make gives him his own, special, delight.

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
i can see anything i want to here

long before the option to ignore (an option i choose not to use) i could ignore someone simply by skipping their post, something i still do now, many times, so i ignore but in real life, not by means of software

why do you worry that folks use the board any way they want, do you believe you have some amazing insights that folks should know about and you're afraid they'll miss them
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:21 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Aaaaah, Hawk's only joy is through misery and discontent.

Yeah, it's either prophet of doom about stuff that doesn't happen (the death of intellectual exchange on able2know) or scathing hindsight about stuff he didn't prophecy (accidents he can criticize people after-the-fact for) and the common theme is that he must criticize.

With site changes there are always discontented people, so he makes these pronouncements about how the change is going to spell the doom of able2know, and then if anyone is later irritated by a change he goes and plays the "I told you so" game, ignoring that the predictable attrition of change isn't at all what he is prophesying. For this reason I think we may always have him with us despite the oppression he characterizes himself as surviving under.

His predictions don't come true but the inevitable friction of change is something he thinks validates him and gives him this "we" he thinks he speaks for.
dlowan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
He should bow down and worship you.

You probably give him more joy than almost anyone else here!!!!!

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You do seem to have a hard time not falling for his bait though. I imagine you feel the need to get embroiled with him to help explain the changes to the rest of us, but he really isn't worth the amount of energy you give him. Just sayin...
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 04:42 pm
@JPB,
In traditional arguments I don't tend to as much, but when in the role of communicating site change to users I feel more obligated to. I think that is a part of why he does it, some attention is guaranteed when he complains about the site while in other cases it is more often ignored.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:01 pm
I'm listening to a book on tape called: How to make friends and influence people. People that love to criticize should spend 6 hours in the car on the way to work listening to that book n
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
His predictions don't come true but the inevitable friction of change is something he thinks validates him and gives him this "we" he thinks he speaks for

Re a2k I have been pretty much right, the only major thing that I did not predict was that the conversations would become shouting matches between the usual suspects with lots of abuse. I had figured that the meek middle would rule. Most of the interesting unusual people are gone or mostly gone, so in spite of the volume the conversations are a more uniform mush than they once were, as I predicted.

I have been proven right on the economy, and I am certainly right about the degradation of individual rights in modern society though the majority is not there yet. I cant think of a substantial major point where events have proven me wrong. I am negative because a lot of things, systems in our society, are totally fucked up, which if you take the time to look around you will see for yourself as well as hear a lot of influential commentators saying the same thing. It is not my fault that things got so fucked, nor is it my fault that you robert both are not bright enough to notice the truth nor do you want to hear people sounding the alarm.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:46 pm
about now is when I wish there were a masturbating smiley available... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Most of the interesting unusual people are gone or mostly gone,

name 10
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Are you contractually obligated to remain in this community hawkeye10,500,059? Clearly you don't like being here. So why not start your own forum if you can't appreciate the work Robert and his diligent gang do around here at a2k?

Quote:
I cant think of a substantial major point where events have proven me wrong.

Psychiatrists would call that delusional thinking.
Quote:
de⋅lu⋅sion  [di-loo-zhuhn]
"noun
1. an act or instance of deluding.
2. the state of being deluded.
3. a false belief or opinion: delusions of grandeur.
4. Psychiatry. a fixed false belief that is resistant to reason or confrontation with actual fact: a paranoid delusion.
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
i don't get that either, if i don't like a show i turn it off, if i don't like a book a stop reading it

so if i became unhappy with the site and it wasn't giving me what i wanted i'd go

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
you can't appreciate the work Robert and his diligent gang do around here at a2k?

saying that someone is going in a bad direction does not mean that they are not appreciated. Do you never speak honestly when you disagree with your significant other? We have all given robert back slaps and praise even though he keeps saying that he does not want it, including me....your premise is flawed
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:03 pm
@djjd62,
I guess that's the greatest difference between you djjd and pigeonbutt10BC. You are reasonable, thoughtful, and capable of appreciating other people's hard work and most importantly ...

You know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
you know when to walk away and when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
you can't appreciate the work Robert and his diligent gang do around here at a2k?

saying that someone is going in a bad direction does not mean that they are not appreciated. Do you never speak honestly when you disagree with your significant other? We have all given robert back slaps and praise even though he keeps saying that he does not want it, including me....your premise is flawed

Nope. There is a difference between honest and critical criticism and a ceaseless and pathetic whiny attempt at some fruitless coup d'etat.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't want any thanks or backslaps and I don't mind criticism from people who are polite about it and who are reasonable But this is a ridiculous obsession you have and you are nowhere near reasonable about it. You never say what your preference is and leave it at that you have to say that not doing it your way is to doom the site and try to speak for everyone (many of which clearly tell you they do not feel the way you do). It's just ridiculous hyperbole and no it hasn't been bourne out once. Each time you made claims about the site activity dying I asked you for your evidence (as I have the actual data that contradicts your claims) and you slink off and disappear.

Remember when you said the users online counter was "like the product of a KGB operation"? Really now, hawkeye, don't you think you exaggerate just a wee bit? How on earth was the users online counter like the KGB again?

You've been claiming for over a year now that the changes ruined debate, show some evidence. You don't have anything but your big mouth to go off of and each and every time I ask you to substantiate your claims in this regard you are unable to do so.

Look, this is science to me. I measure, I test. I don't just listen to a delusional prophet of doom to make decisions, I listen to data. You don't have any, you just have your false predictions of doom.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Nope. There is a difference between honest and critical criticism and a ceaseless and pathetic whiny attempt at some fruitless coup d'etat.

I have not spoken on the direction of a2k in months, and out of 6,000 posts I highly doubt more than 200 are about a2k direction. Your perceptions are whack. Robert had the good sense the "ask" even though it is fairly clear that he was going to do the change no matter what anyone said, and I responded truthfully and honestly. There is no problem here, Robert is a big boy and so am I. We dont agree, and life goes on.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, your perceptions are out of whack, many here have told you that your crusade to blame the site for your unpopularity is obsessive and annoying and yours is the minority perception here.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
is it too much to ask that it goes on somewhere else

0 Replies