What do you think about threaded forum software?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
I listen to data. You don't have any

of course not, but if you are offering to make the data public then we could talk about data.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
So what are your repeated claims of the site activity dying off based on if you have no data?

I've already told you the data contradicts you, and that since the changes we reversed a downward trend in traffic and put it on a course with an upward trend. I think I even posted the data when I did so, but can't be bothered to check now. But the claim is yours, don't come asking me to substantiate it for you.

Upon what do you base your claims that the changes are killing site activity? On what do you even base your claims that site activity is suffering?

You just make this stuff up hawkeye, it's ridiculous. And tell us again how this forum is like the KGB? You never like defending your brainfarts do you? You just like issuing these grand proclamations but when someone asks you for substantiation you make yourself scarce.
djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 08:20 pm
soooooo, he thinks the software makes him unpopular

<cough>lunatic<cough>

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:29 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
So let me hear your thoughts. Please consider it well, if you've had bad experiences with other threaded boards in the past please think about whether it was the clunkiness of their implementation or if it was the core principle of threading the topic that made it worse.

Meh.

I've been on other sites where discussions were threaded. It does have the advantage of focusing a particular sub-discussion, rather than spreading it out among all of the other posts. That's particularly useful for isolating off-topic discussions or annoying posters, but then I tend to use the "ignore" or voting features for that right now, so the advantages are minimal. As long as both options would remain available, I see no reason to object to the change.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
Upon what do you base your claims that the changes are killing site activity? On what do you even base your claims that site activity is suffering? [...] You just like issuing these grand proclamations but when someone asks you for substantiation you make yourself scarce.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Cute

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I don't feel the need to defend this opinion. It is far too subjective a call, and maybe it boils down to nothing more than the things that I care about are increasingly missing. I say what I see, other people say what they see, and in this way we compare notes. Me trying to prove to you what I see is impossible, and my time is too valuable to spend on the effort.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I don't feel the need to defend this opinion.

But anything less than acceptance of your ipse dixit means the community is doomed right? Even though you can't even defend your own opinion. It is to laugh hawkeye, you don't think your strength of conviction is incongruous with your complete inability to substantiate your position?

Quote:
It is far too subjective a call, and maybe it boils down to nothing more than the things that I care about are increasingly missing.

It didn't become "subjective" until I asked you for substantiation. Before that you repeatedly made claims about objective things like traffic and activity levels and said I was too dumb to recognize your "truth" (not subjective opinion). These things can be quantified and measured (it's a big part of what I do for a living) and now when I ask you to substantiate these claims you suddenly like subjectivity and different view points.

You would go on and on about how this is destroying the community not that you merely think or perceive it this way but that it is an objective truth that must be recognized to spare the forum it's impending doom.

You even went so far as to say your predictions about this have come true (but clearly not in any way you can actually demonstrate) about the forum.

I see the convenience of "subjective" now for you, but what happened to all that dogmatic strength of conviction you had before you were asked for evidence?

Quote:
I say what I see, other people say what they see, and in this way we compare notes.

You sure go from acting like your view point is the only possible solution to save the site from doom to this whole subjective viewpoints gig awful fast when you are asked to substantiate your fabricated claims.

Quote:
Me trying to prove to you what I see is impossible, and my time is too valuable to spend on the effort.

Why is your time not valuable when it comes to repeatedly making the fabricated claims but suddenly valuable when asked to substantiate them? You could probably save more of that precious time, not to mention face, by not making up stuff that you might later be asked to substantiate.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

[flash height=200 width=200]http://instantcrickets.com/crickets.swf[/flash]

You big jerk! I didn't expect that to be an actual button! Mad
Startled me! Damnit!
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
That's what the man who discovered the clitoris said.

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

That's what the man who discovered the clitoris said.

[flash width=200 height=200]http://instantrimshot.com/rimshot.swf[/flash]

How do you know it was a man?

(And I've read the book.)
Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I haven't read through the answers yet, so maybe this has come up before:

How much of a hassle would it be to let the user make the choice? Since I'm conservative about interface changes, my preference would be that you leave things like they are, but put a a toggle button somewhere saying "view as thread" / "view flat". That way, people can opt out of the current way of looking at threads, try out both versions, and eventually stick with whatever works for them.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Why a cricket?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:16 pm
@Thomas,
He's planning a choice. I don't recall if the mechanics have been given.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:16 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I haven't read through the answers yet, so maybe this has come up before:

How much of a hassle would it be to let the user make the choice? Since I'm conservative about interface changes, my preference would be that you leave things like they are, but put a a toggle button somewhere saying "view as thread" / "view flat". That way, people can opt out of the current way of looking at threads, try out both versions, and eventually stick with whatever works for them.

It has been made explicit that each user would be able to choose for each thread.
Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
@dlowan,
Fine with me, then.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:54 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
How do you know it was a man?

Because no woman would bother to lay claim to the "discovery" and, come now, that is all hinted at in Tsar's dialog. That a man is being led to a "discovery".

I think the "discovery" of the clitoris is a bit like a man claiming he has "discovered" the penis. It's right there dammit, a two year-old can do that. These folk can lay claim to naming them, a fetus can discover one of its own protuberances.
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:16 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Man, was I ever a slow learner!!!!

I didn't know I had a VAGINA for years!!!

Sorry folks:

Back to our normal program.
Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:21 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I didn't know I had a VAGINA for years!!!

So who discovered it?
dlowan

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2010 11:28 pm
@Thomas,
I read about it in a book.