the social is trumping the biological ?

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:49 pm

I don't get the meaning of "the social". What does it mean?

Context:

It turns out that babies who had low IQs at 22 months and were born to richer, better educated parents caught up by the age of 6 with children who started with high IQs but whose parents were poorer and less educated. By age 10, the children in the higher socio-economic group were forging ahead on intelligence tests while those in the lower socio-economic group fell further and further behind (see diagram). "It shows that the social is trumping the biological," says Marmot. "We can change that, and that's why I'm optimistic."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 486 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:52 pm
it means their social situation is helping them overcome their biological situation
oristarA

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:58 pm
@djjd62,

Thanks.
Trump = win ?
djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@oristarA,
yes

the better your social situation (money, education, healthcare) the better chance you have
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:07 pm
@oristarA,
Yes. Trumping, as in the card game Bridge, wherein one suit of cards is superior to all others.

the social is trumping the biological

The effects of family and relations with other people and culture (tops, wins, overcomes), the effects of the impulses brought about by (genetic, DNA evolutionary) structures.

Whew. It is easier to say "the social is trumping the biological"

Joe(good night)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@Joe Nation,
JoeNation, I hoped you'd talk to oristarA about "the hand that we're dealt" and trump suits.

One of the things I am learning from oristarA's questions is how valuable a good editor is. There is some very sloppy writing out here.
fresco

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:55 am
@ehBeth,
Can you expand on that a little ?
0 Replies