Why not use "were caught up"?

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:43 pm

The context below says " rich children were caught up by poor children at the age of 6 in IQ". I don't understand why "were" can be neglected.

Context:

It turns out that babies who had low IQs at 22 months and were born to richer, better educated parents caught up by the age of 6 with children who started with high IQs but whose parents were poorer and less educated. By age 10, the children in the higher socio-economic group were forging ahead on intelligence tests while those in the lower socio-economic group fell further and further behind (see diagram). "It shows that the social is trumping the biological," says Marmot. "We can change that, and that's why I'm optimistic."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 469 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
caught up with
oristarA

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Got it.
Thank you.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:11 pm
It's bad writing...but what do I know?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:04 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
The context below says " rich children were caught up by poor children at the age of 6 in IQ". I don't understand why "were" can be neglected.

Context:

It turns out that babies who had low IQs at 22 months and were born to richer, better educated parents caught up by the age of 6 with children

It might be, [only 'might' I say], that in your language, Ori, the idea is that the children are the passive receipients of learning from their teachers, which makes you feel that a passive structure is required here.

It turns out that babies who had low IQs at 22 months and were born to richer, better educated parents were caught up to other children [by their teachers] by the age of 6.

Here, the children are seen as the ones doing the "catching up", so it's in the active voice.
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:24 pm
@oristarA,
english is a bitch

even without using present tense you could elide all the 'were's' in the abomination
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:40 pm
@JTT,
Well analysed. Smile
0 Replies