The Japanese legal system

tintin

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:34 pm
please look at this

The Japanese legal system does not allow for the awarding of punitive damages, because it is believed that doing so would encourage citizens to file unnecessary lawsuits.

"allow for" ... is it a correct usage ? Is not this should be just "allow" ?

what is "punitive damages" ?? I am not clear with this ...Can you give an example to understand this.

why there will be 'unnecessary lawsuits' ?? I did not get the connection between 'punitive damages' and 'unnecessary lawsuits' ....can you please explain ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:43 pm
@tintin,
Yes, Tintin, 'allow for' is fine. It holds a meaning,

Quote:
verb: make a possibility or provide opportunity for; permit to be attainable or cause to remain ("Allow for mistakes")

http://www.onelook.com/?w=allow+for&ls=a

We made extra food to allow for the possibility that our kids would be bringing friends as they usually do.

I wrote this example to allow for the possibility that my first example wasn't clear enough.

"punitive damages" are awarded as a measure of punishment against the defendants. It's thought that these will make the defendants less careless in their actions.

Punitive damages are often quite hefty in places where they are awarded. It's thought that people will file lawsuits for the chance to get such a large reward.
tintin

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 12:48 pm
@JTT,
sorry, i could not get you.I am not clear with "punitive damages". can you please tell me a simple example for this to understand it...and also why lawsuits ?
JTT

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 01:31 pm
@tintin,
Quote:
sorry, i could not get you.I am not clear with "punitive damages". can you please tell me a simple example for this to understand it...and also why lawsuits ?

I kinda thought as much, Tintin, that my explanation wasn't all that hot. Let me give it another whirl.

Let's say that you take a medication produced by XYZ Pharmaceuticals and because of a certain condition you have, example, high blood pressure, the drug affects you badly and you get very sick, suffer great pain, are unable to work and support your family, ... .

Now let's also say that XYZ knew, from tests, about how this drug would affect people like you but they hid the test results. You sue them and are awarded $50,000 for pain and suffering and loss of income. But in order to punish the company, you are also awarded punitive damages of $30 million.

The Japanese feel, as do many Americans, that if there is a chance for a big payoff, more people will file lawsuits.

Quote:
:
M-W
punitive

inflicting, involving, or aiming at punishment <severe punitive measures>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/punitive

0 Replies

tintin

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 09:24 pm
Now I am feeling better . Happy feeling.

Thanks for your time.
0 Replies