WHAT THE BLOODY HELL

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It's conceivable, 'tho not likely that I have been a bit rude here at least once.... perhaps.
Might I dispell all your doubts .
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Spare me the phony indignation, and the self-righteous hypocrisy.

It's not phony at all, I mean it. I think your site tantrums are total douchebaggery and I'm not feigning ire.

Running a site is to keep computers online 24/7 and in this case with millions of people accessing it. Things go wrong. When they do it is often a huge headache for us, it's gut wrenching for me when I am across the world from the point of failure with little to do but wait.

In the middle of our business day I find all our sites offline and the host's own support site offline too. Their phone lines are jammed and it's clearly a catastrophic failure in the datacenter. This is out of our control, and will completely ruin our afternoon but we can only do our best at handling this as well as we can so I go about trying to do so. We have real customers who actually pay us good money down too, we hate every minute of it but will do our best to communicate to all our users.

What I did was post about it on our blog which I'd just happened to move to another host for such instances (to communicate to users when the main site is down) and provide all the updates I had from our host. I posted updates on twitter and facebook as well and as soon as the server powered up I brought things back online. You said you didn't notice anything else amiss (you must have come on right when the server did) other than the time, and that is what it looked like to me too. I had other sites to check on and was told by users that it was back up and running (they probably didn't try to post at that point).

Then they told me that the flood control timer was being triggered incorrectly and I found out the server time became inaccurate after powering off and fixed it. They didn't insult me and act like a two-year old, they just gave me a heads up and less than 5 minutes after I got it things were fixed.

In short, we did our level best during an outage out of our control. Able2know is a free site we make little more than the server costs for and I don't think we have anything to be ashamed of in our reaction to this incident. I tried to do more this time in terms of communicating than I ever have and to have you come on and pull your tantrum yet again, telling us our site is lame and insult our work as idiotic feels like a slap in the face.

And quite frankly given that you have no compunction of insulting everyone you feel like on able2know I will have no such compunction with you. You, sir, are being a total jackass. A complete douche-bag.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:18 pm
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
whew

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:20 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It's conceivable, 'tho not likely that I have been a bit rude here at least once.... perhaps.

However, in his defense, I can say he is shitty with everyone. Ole Set doesn't play favorites.

That's precisely the unacceptable part to me. When people lose their tempers and are rude on occasion that is one thing, but to incessantly be putting others down is just obnoxious douchebaggery.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
What I did was post about it on our blog which I'd just happened to move to another host for such instances

I, for one, found the post and appreciated the info, btw.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's a fine line between douchebaggery and A-holery.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Might I dispell all your doubts .

Laughing Laughing Laughing

It occurred to me that you might be lurking there!

Robert,
I sympathize with your concerns and reactions on the matter. However, I think it also important to consider the whole person (at least the part we encounter here) on such issues. Setanta's snarling is a bit over the top sometimes, particularly with those who don't know him or expect it. He has done it to me as well. However, it is but a part of a larger and overall far better picture. He doesn't hold grudges, though other folks regarded as much more even tempered do frequently. He has wide ranging interests and is interesting himself ... more than many frankly('tho I wish he would apologize occasionally). In short I think the ****/worth ration here is quite favorable, and I think that is a very good way to look at the issue. Others, however, might regard it as unfair.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:58 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
He doesn't hold grudges

never a truer word errr phrase

'sides, he's mmm fond of joeblow, izzie, mismi, the ozzie gals and all the other good-lookin' women. As long as he keeps flirting with the girls, I know it's all just a game.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:59 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
tho I wish he would apologize occasionally

I have sighted this rare gazelle meself once or twice.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
This has become a thread on Setanta himself. I believe most of his posts are very well worth reading. Those of us who have read him often don't take his rudeness seriously.
fresco

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:14 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
He doesn't hold grudges

Of course he does, by the childish pursuit from thread to thread, of those who stand up to him.

I have been a member here for many years and he is one of the very few who have angered me with their insulting abrasive comments. Quite frankly, his attitude to the providers of this excellent forum is beyond the pale.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
obnoxious douchebaggery.

Apart from being unhealthy for one's vagina, may I defend the poor douchebag against this constant use as an insult?
Amigo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:32 pm
@Setanta,

smarty pants warning!!!!!

http://ourfunnyplanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Hamster-inside-computer.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
He doesn't hold grudges

never a truer word errr phrase

'sides, he's mmm fond of joeblow, izzie, mismi, the ozzie gals and all the other good-lookin' women. As long as he keeps flirting with the girls, I know it's all just a game.

That's the only supportive statement I've ever gotten from ehBeth.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
However, it is but a part of a larger and overall far better picture. He doesn't hold grudges, though other folks regarded as much more even tempered do frequently. He has wide ranging interests and is interesting himself ... more than many frankly('tho I wish he would apologize occasionally). In short I think the ****/worth ration here is quite favorable, and I think that is a very good way to look at the issue. Others, however, might regard it as unfair.

Jebus, George, you seem hell-bent on making me be more reasonable. Yes, I know Setanta is not all bad. I even actually think he's a genuinely nice guy at heart (behind that warm and bubbly exterior) which only adds to the frustration. The real assholes are easier to just ignore and not care about.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Apart from being unhealthy for one's vagina, may I defend the poor douchebag against this constant use as an insult?

I actually wondered if there were any linguistic hangups about that. No lie.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:10 pm
@georgeob1,
my valentine to a kinda Irish guy

I can't believe you missed it Cool . It was like almost a declaration of love.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
@wandeljw,
You are kidding, right?

I find him constantly insulting others as if they had vacuumed brains. A newbie facing this might just faint. This is surely not a welcome to the site. I admit I am one of many so assaulted. It has never occurred to me that he might not hold a grudge. It's the club mentality, as if this site didn't relate to the larger world of people making inquiries. Why would someone ask something to be battered?

I'll also admit to not being pure.
dlowan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 07:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

dlowan wrote:

I actually wondered if there were any linguistic hangups about that. No lie.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, I am pretty much kidding...but honestly, the poor vagina and its accoutrements suffer a great deal from insultogenesis.

In my group, we say swear by thine own genitalia.

One might think the douchebag was guilty of the mass murder of millions of humans, rather than the mass murder of squillions of healthy vaginal flora and fauna!

Though, perhaps they DO count, for owners or fans of said vagina?
0 Replies