WHAT THE BLOODY HELL

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:44 am
Now these are priceless tags;

Needs Fibre, Drewdad Needs Fibre

Who does the first one point at, who wrote the second?

Yup, when, in the future, I'm searching for this thread, those are definitely the first things that will come to mind.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:46 am
@Butrflynet,
On the flip side, you have computer tech people going around telling employees, "It's not the computer's fault. YOU must have done something wrong."
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:47 am
@wandeljw,
Oh yeah . . . the mantra of the tech world is, and has been for 20 years or more, the customer is always wrong.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:09 pm
@JTT,
I don't know, but it has its own forum, now!

Drewdad Needs Fibre Forum
Diest TKO

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:14 pm
@DrewDad,
http://fitness.resourcesforattorneys.com/images/dietary-fiber.jpg

T
K
Oats
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:23 pm
@DrewDad,
Slappy was more fortunate when he got his own forum:
http://able2know.org/tag/marry_me_slappy/
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:51 pm
I'd just like to add that you're all a bunch of ******* retards. I think even Sarah Palin would have to agree with me on that.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You seem no to notice that this sort of snarling vituperation from you does not discourage me from continuing to post on the subjects which interest me, nor from enjoying the humor which so often arises at this site.

I didn't even know you wanted that to be noticed as your response to this, but I was aware, yes, that you use this website amid the din of the snarling and all.

Quote:
You just get your little lace panties in a twist at any criticism of your baby here.

I have no problem with reasonable criticism, I have a problem with deliberately malicious criticism. Yours is almost invariably the latter.

Quote:
You don't follow other people around to lambaste them for their behavior toward others.

Just to name two from this thread, Ebrown and Cyclo have both said I do that to them.

I work online. I work on able2know. That means I'm here a lot. I'm not "following" anyone (well, not yet, there's a following feature coming but I will use it for people whose posts I like and who rarely post) when I do this I am merely opining about posts I read in a recurring reaction to a recurring theme.

Consider that I may not be "following" you and telling you that you are rude but that you might simply be rude with great frequency.

Quote:
It seems to me that you have a fixation, because there are far, far worse people out there than i when i comes to lashing out at others.

The "he does it too" argument aside, there really isn't anyone worse when considering scale. Sure, off the top of my head I can think of a lot of people who are more abrasive than you. Say, kuvasz. That guy comes on a bit... strong. But you have over 50,000 posts on this site to his 2000 and change, and there really just isn't anyone in that kind of ballpark that is as routinely nasty to others.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
This thread reminds me of a bar fight i saw once. Two guys i knew got into a scuffle, and a third acquaintance tried to separate them. So both of them started taking swings at the third guy. The third guy was trying to defend himself, when a fourth guy walks up and sucker punches him.

Sure, and of course you don't think you are the one doing the sucker punching right? This is delusional Setanta.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Robert introduced the excesses. This thread was not about personalities. Robert made it about personalities. If Robert were really living up to a responsibility of a unique interest to limit excesses, he would not have made this thread about personalities, when it was not about them to begin with.

Quit hiding behind the pretext of being above the personal insults. You know full and well that what you were saying was predictably insulting and you have been doing exactly this (starting to insult the "site" when there are bugs) for years. I've only recently decided I've no more cheeks to turn. You can call it "following" you if you'd like, but that is another delusional perspective to me.

You seek this stuff out. There's a reason you are incessantly involved in conflict even if you incessantly play the "who? me? well he did it first" act when people tell you that you are being a buffoon.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
How do you feel about this thread being #1 on the Featured Topics list?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:15 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

On the flip side, you have computer tech people going around telling employees, "It's not the computer's fault. YOU must have done something wrong."

classic
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:19 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I think far too much veneration and deference is shown to Craven just because he's chosen this path in life. He's doing this because this is what he wants to do, not because he altruistically makes a personal sacrifice in order to provide us a venue to meet, to inform, to debate, or to piss and moan.

I agree with you. I don't like being thanked for this, and I get way too much credit for doing what I love to do. But I also get way too much bullshit. And yes, sometimes this site has come at the cost of tremendous personal sacrifice for me. It started costing hundreds a month while I was making minimum wage and sleeping on a couch. It needed more servers while I was losing my job.

There were times I just couldn't pay to make it run as well as it should (like back in the day with all the database disconnects and session issues, which were merely a function of me not having the money to spare for more RAM) and in those difficult moments you were there, calling the site lame and while I was struggling to keep it online going off about how "shitty" it was.

I do this because I love doing it. This is my favorite work to do. So I'm not asking for any credit for doing so. This is what I would do if I were a billionare (and there'd be a lot less bugs too!), but at the same time I don't think it's unreasonable to tell a person who's routinely verbally abusive when things go wrong that he's being untoward.

Things go wrong, there no reason to be such a dick about it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Setanta wrote:
Robert introduced the excesses. This thread was not about personalities. Robert made it about personalities. If Robert were really living up to a responsibility of a unique interest to limit excesses, he would not have made this thread about personalities, when it was not about them to begin with.

Quit hiding behind the pretext of being above the personal insults. You know full and well that what you were saying was predictably insulting and you have been doing exactly this (starting to insult the "site" when there are bugs) for years. I've only recently decided I've no more cheeks to turn. You can call it "following" you if you'd like, but that is another delusional perspective to me.

You seek this stuff out. There's a reason you are incessantly involved in conflict even if you incessantly play the "who? me? well he did it first" act when people tell you that you are being a buffoon.

Any one of our mothers would remind us that the adult thing to do when faced with someone who is insulting and boorish is to ignore them. You chose not to do so, and I can understand that, as I have made that same choice myself in life from time to time. But what is the outcome of that choice, and what is the desired outcome you wished to have? Where is this going?

Set's not going to apologize, you're not going to boot him from the site, nobody's behavior is going to change; all that has happened is an opportunity for several strong-willed people to engage in hostile behavior towards each other. Not very productive OR emotionally satisfying in the long run. So why bother? Eventually someone is going to have to man up and stop responding.

Takes two to tango and all that.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:41 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
First, i resent your claim that i have a history of "kvetching." I've complained about the site in the past, but no more than other people who start filling their little panties whenever he makes a change in the format--that's BS, Soz, whether you'll admit it or not.

Again with this "they do it too" deflection. Just because others complain (and quite frankly I have a lot more tolerance for people complaining about real changes as opposed to the verbal abuse from people who ran into a bug) doesn't mean you don't have a lengthy history of calling the "site" things like "shitty" or "lame" whenever you are minorly inconvenienced.

I usually just take it. For example, you used to bitch an awful lot about losing huge posts from being logged out on the old software. That simply happened because you write long posts and your session times out in the meantime (and sometimes also because we didn't have enough RAM) but it was something that I could legitimately take constructively so I ignored the "shitty" et all that you decided to accentuate your complaint with.

We had the "Wilso feature" which was a button to copy the post to clipboard for a while but that wasn't cutting it (hey, if you wanted to remember to copy to clipboard before posting each time you could already do that, it wasn't as usable as it should be) so this new software I made a point to save those as drafts if you get logged out.

That is an example of criticism that I can just do something with to improve. But you frequently heap verbal abuse on the "site" about hiccups I can't do much to improve on.

Quote:
Second, i didn't say that Robert started it, i've only said that he's made it about personalities, which is true. I did not start this thread with the object of making nasty personal remarks about other people (such as jackass or douche bag). It is not implicit when complaining about the site that i'm referring to him as a jackass or a douche bag.

Nobody on earth is going to buy this innocent routine. Each and every time you do this I respond to you on your thread about the problems you are having. This is the equivalent of being verbally abusive on the phone with some customer service person and justifying it by not having directed the actual insults at them.

Is it somehow not supposed to be irritating to me that you direct the criticism at the "site"? You know who made it, you know whose work you are criticizing.

I used to hide behind a similar pretext while being a total douche bag on able2know. I would heap on the strength of conviction but justify my caustic remarks by saying I didn't insult the person, I insulted their idea.

Thing is, there's often not the need to insult the idea either. I didn't need to say some post was "stupid" or lob on what I should clearly have known to be verbal grenades and so should you.

You know you are being rude, this is just a deflection of responsibility. And lastly, if you think being called names is nasty why do you so liberally treat others this way?

Quote:
If this is your idea of how a bar owner is entitled to react, for example, i suggest to you that Robert ought to stay out of the bar business, because he'd just run his business into the ground.

I have never once had such an exchange with any client of mine. Oddly enough, the ones who have business relationships with me are invariably more respectful (even as paying clients!) than the anonymous forum user. Maybe it's just that knowing each other's real names precludes most people from being shitty to each other.

My real name is Robert Gentel, please stop being verbally abusive when you encounter site bugs. If there's anything at all I can do to improve things I will usually do so, and when I can't please understand that I am doing what I can and that verbal abuse only makes it more difficult.
dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

First, i resent your claim that i have a history of "kvetching." I've complained about the site in the past, but no more than other people who start filling their little panties whenever he makes a change in the format--that's BS, Soz, whether you'll admit it or not.

Second, i didn't say that Robert started it, i've only said that he's made it about personalities, which is true. I did not start this thread with the object of making nasty personal remarks about other people (such as jackass or douche bag). It is not implicit when complaining about the site that i'm referring to him as a jackass or a douche bag.

When saying that i think far too much deference is paid to him, i didn't name you--and that kind of reaction is exactly the kind of problem you can see in this thread. That's a fine example of coming from the other end of the bar in order to feel threatened. All kinds of people have shown up in this thread just for the opportunity to take a cheap shot (and so you don't get your back up again for no reason, no, i'm not referring to you)--and absolutely none of them were referred to in the thread when i began it, and it is no more inferential that they've been maligned than it is that Robert has been maligned.

If this is your idea of how a bar owner is entitled to react, for example, i suggest to you that Robert ought to stay out of the bar business, because he'd just run his business into the ground.

Set...what WAS your purpose in starting a thread about what a lame goddam site this is? What were you hoping to achieve?

Put aside how Robert has actually reacted, how, in all reason, did you think a site owner MIGHT react to such a comment?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:44 pm
Quote:
Tags: a2k, able2know, Troll, Trolling, Trolls

Geeeessssse, where are the Drewdad needs fiber tags? How the hell am I ever gonna find this thread when I need to?

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Any one of our mothers would remind us that the adult thing to do when faced with someone who is insulting and boorish is to ignore them. You chose not to do so, and I can understand that, as I have made that same choice myself in life from time to time. But what is the outcome of that choice, and what is the desired outcome you wished to have? Where is this going?

I just have no more cheeks to turn Cyclo. I would hope that Setanta would recognize that this is mean-spirited, despite his elaborate constructs that put all blame elsewhere but even if that isn't going to happen I'm just all out of patience right now and lack the self-restraint I wish I had to just shine on.

If you are trying to hint at how I could be a better man by having let it go I agree with you but I flat out ran into my ceiling of being a good person here and will probably have to grow more as a person to become as tolerant as you espouse.

Quote:
Set's not going to apologize, you're not going to boot him from the site, nobody's behavior is going to change; all that has happened is an opportunity for several strong-willed people to engage in hostile behavior towards each other. Not very productive OR emotionally satisfying in the long run. So why bother? Eventually someone is going to have to man up and stop responding.

I'm done here. I'd never explained to Setanta the aspect of how much of this criticism I am referring to came about things I just couldn't do anything about (like having more money for RAM), and things that I was fretting over more than he could imagine, and that is the last thing I have to say to Setanta about this incident.
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:46 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
How do you feel about this thread being #1 on the Featured Topics list?

I find it predictable, talking about the site and its members is one a2k's largest common denominators in terms of interest (naturally, as the demographic of a2k users is 100% a2k users). Personally, I dislike when any topics about able2know or members (positive or negative) are popular because they are only of interest to the core members and not the many other website users.

But popularity is what it is, I can't expect to always agree with it. If I wanted it that way I would order the topics myself.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:50 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:

I just have no more cheeks to turn Cyclo. I would hope that Setanta would recognize that this is mean-spirited, despite his elaborate constructs that put all blame elsewhere but even if that isn't going to happen I'm just all out of patience right now and lack the self-restraint I wish I had to just shine on.

If you are trying to hint at how I could be a better man by having let it go I agree with you but I flat out ran into my ceiling of being a good person here and will probably have to grow more as a person to become as tolerant as you espouse.

Well ****, me too. I have a hard time letting stuff go. But now that we've all had a chance to say our piece, I'm glad that we can move on to more fun topics.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies