Only Three More Space Shuttle Launches

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:12 pm
I'm thinking about going to see one of them... There's one in May, June, and the last one is in September.

Has anyone here been at a launch before?

T
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,765 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:21 pm
@Diest TKO,
I've never been; but it's on my list. These are really the last ones?
farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:36 pm
@maporsche,
We were staying at the Disney Swan Hotel in a room that balconied to the east. From Orlando, we could see the shuttle launch at the CApe . It lit the entire sky like a volcano. We could see the liftoff clearly with binocs (The Hotel supplied two pairs of Minoltas (really good binocs) to us when they heard we were interested in seeing the launch). Brilliant light, no sound.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 01:35 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I've never been; but it's on my list. These are really the last ones?

Yep. The last shuttle launches before the vehicle is retired. Say hello to the "space gap" until our new vehicle is up and running.

If you've ever planned to see this, now is the time. There is something special about the shuttle, and the next gen of vehicle lacks a certain... charisma.

T
K
O
Seed

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:50 am
@Diest TKO,
No I have not seen one, but now it has made my to do list. One I plan on making happen.

What and when is the new "craft" to be ready?
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 06:48 am
How much time elapsed between the last Atlas launches and the Space Shuttles?
Joe(I wasn't paying attention in class.)Nation
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:53 pm
Saw Endeavor go up this morning...but I'm a little skittish about watching them...I saw the Challenger blow up as I was gassing up my truck...still gives me the creeps. It was the coldest morning I can remember in Florida and when I first saw 3 plumes I hoped it was steam...nope.

http://thesituationist.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/challenger-shuttle-disaster.jpg
dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 03:56 pm
@panzade,
Awful thing to see.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:01 pm
I saw a shuttle launch in FL when I was a kid. Very cool.

I also saw the latest shuttle which crashed on re-entry (can't remember the name), crash - was driving north on I-35 in TX one morning and saw crazy contrails burning up overhead, thought it must have been a meteor shower. Sad to personally witness such a thing, but I couldn't look away. I was all excited about seeing a real live meteor shower, until the radio broke in with the news. Talk about a 100% turnaround in mood in the car.

Cycloptichorn
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Feb, 2010 04:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
wow
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 01:33 am
@Seed,
Seed wrote:

What and when is the new "craft" to be ready?

The "launch gap" until the new space capsule is ready might be a few years. It's a real serious concern of mine. It will be the first time in a very long time that the USA will not have the ability to put up Astronauts. We'll be hitchhiking for a few years.

T
K
O
0 Replies