Coughing: A Basic Question

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:02 am
For the last week I've been battling a very hostile cold in the head and chest.

My question: When I cough am I bringing up nasty phlem that was deposited in my throat from post nasal drip or is the phlem coming from my congested lungs?

Definitive information would be most welcome. I no longer have the energy to argue unsupported.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,717 • Replies: 15
No top replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:29 am
1st of all phlem will congest in the lungs and that is probably what you are hacking up, drink a non cola soda like 7-up it will help to break up the phlem, lemon juice will do the trick as well but I figure 7-up tastes better. acid reflux or gastritis can also be a cause of phlem buildup. phlem is secreted by cells and glands of the mucous membranes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:08 am
Cite for the first part of the above post is: A page of health facts for English Bulldogs.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:43 am
neat, I actually didn't get it from there but it works on the same principals.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 07:49 am
Whenever I get the slightest cold, it immediately turns into a chest cold followed by bronchitis. Coughing is your body's way of trying to keep your lungs healthy and clear.

One of the best indicators of the status of your body's fight with the germs is the color of your phlem. Clear is good. When it starts to turn shades of yellow and green, that's the time to go see the doctor.

Resources: WebMD. Everything you wanted to know about coughs but were too sick to ask
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 08:54 am
1 thing that link doesn't mention is that mucus is mainly formed of mucin, water, cells, and inorganic salts , it's main fuction is to moisten and protect.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 09:36 am
My husband has rather bad asthma and is an expert on all things phlegm. He can listen to me cough and tell me if it is post-nasal drip or bronchial.

Some factors:

- When does it happen? If it is predominantly morning, that's more towards post-nasal drip.

- Is it more like clearing your throat? That's more towards post-nasal drip.

- Is it a deep, hacking cough? That's more towards bronchitis.

Have your doctor check it out, though, of course.

A lot of those nasty colds going around. I temporarily vanquished one but it's STILL not all the way gone. Have to go to the doc again. Grr.

Keep a tight hold on your dominion, there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 10:11 am
Thanks all, Safecracker, Craven, Butrflynet and Sozobe--

Educated misery is much more fun than ignorant misery.

All of you, Hold Your Dominions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:46 pm
Noddy, I've had 2 colds in the last 1.5 weeks. I spent almost all of last weekend unable to speak. The single most important thing you can do, I think, it to take in water. Drink it, hot is better than cold. And, put your face over a bowl of boiled water with a towel over your head and breath in through mouth or nose alternatively. Sitting in a steamy bathroom works too.

Tricky thing about medicating (which I use now after years of not taking any) is what meds to use when. Your body produces phlegm for a reason and to take suppressants and decongestants might not be wise unless the phlegm turns technicolor.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:08 pm
I think figuring out what type of cold you have and what the best medication to take for each one is certainly the most helpful...and I have also been battling a cold for a week...almost gone now that I have that whole what type of cold it is..what will work best and not make it worse...whew...good luck to all with this years bout of colds..seems to be a beast and a half.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:10 pm
Oh yeah, and try to buy some saline spray for your nose to keep it hydrated.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:11 pm
Oh yes...thats one thing I found last year thats a great a wonderful aid to these things....saline spray....good call k
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:13 pm
Dealing with the dry sinuses as we speak/type.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:16 pm
Sad hoping it all gets better soon...for everyone
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:23 pm
Forget about anthrax. This cold is much more effective as germ warfare than a little white powder.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 06:24 pm
no kidding eh.
0 Replies