Corpseman? What a moron...

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:29 pm
The empty suit didn't have corpsman spelled out phonetically on his teleprompter, I guess:

"At the National Prayer Breakfast, Barack Obama singled out for praise Navy Corpsman Christian Bouchard. Or as the president called him, “Corpseman Bouchard.” Twice.

Hey, not a big deal. Throughout his life, the commander-in-chief has had little contact with the military, and less interest. And, when you give as many speeches as this guy does, there’s no time to rehearse or read through: You just gotta fire up the prompter and wing it. But it’s revealing that nobody around him in the so-called smartest administration of all time thought to spell it out phonetically for him when the speech got typed up and loaded into the machine. Which suggests that either his minders don’t know that he doesn’t know that kinda stuff, or they don’t know it either."

http://article.nationalreview.com/424153/unsustainable/mark-steyn

Seriously, Obama is an embarrassment...

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:32 pm
thank God his predecessor had such a scholarly command of the english language
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:34 pm
i don't have a dog in this fight, but we could line up GWB's stellar wordplay against BHO's and see who comes out on top

and to be fair, if you join the military it's a possibility you could end up a corpse, man (or a corpse person if you want to get all pc about about it)
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:36 pm
@djjd62,
zackly
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:39 pm
Man lets take every short coming this man gives us and just throw it back in his face. Sounds like a perfectly good idea. I mean because you have never mispronounced a word before.
A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:42 pm
Yep. Bush was a moron, also.

Why can't we elect someone who doesn't embarrass us?

The empty suit usually does ok when they get the teleprompter loaded correctly. Usually I just cringe when he goes free-style...

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:43 pm
@Seed,
And Sarah Palin had crib notes written on her palm for her speech last night.
What is the world coming to?
Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
I was reading about that. They said they were pictures taken, but I can not be sure if they were taken by a accredited source or not. I will find it to be funny if the pictures were photo shopped or not
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:49 pm
@realjohnboy,
saw that this am. probably a habit she picked up cocktailing at lumberjack bars
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:51 pm
@Seed,
Cyclo posted the pictures over on another thread. He will have to vouch for their legitimacy.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 12:54 pm
@A Lone Voice,
You do realize that almost every president or "empty suit" as you call them, has had a speech writer, don't you?

@RJB
I found it funny because she was poking at Obama for his use of a teleprompter
A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 04:09 pm
@Seed,
Certainly, they've all had speechwriters.

I have just been surprised re Obama. I was told for so long how brilliant he was, and he's no better than Bush. Worse, in some cases, when he goes off-teleprompter and freestyles.

57 states, anyone?

All those times he was looking left, looking right, during a speech I was impressed. It wasn't until much later I saw the teleprompter was at virtually every appearance during the campaign. I think it was the rodeo appearance that made me aware he is nothing but a newscaster with a great voice.

Not great hair like my local anchor, though.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 04:27 pm
@A Lone Voice,
Quote:

I have just been surprised re Obama. I was told for so long how brilliant he was, and he's no better than Bush.

Are you serious? Laughing

The man is light-years ahead of Bush. There is no comparison. Bush made multiple and repeated errors EVERY time he opened his mouth. It was a continual and everlasting source of humor.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think we misunderestimate Lone Voice's idiocy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
Not great hair like my local anchor, though.

What a sly comment on Obama's race.

(To those in the know, black people used to be thought to have "good hair" if their hair were straight.)
A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:43 pm
@DrewDad,
Not bad. Two posts until an Obamabot has to play the race card...

You can't defend the empty suit any other way? Seriously, you have to attack me to bolster the idiot who is president?

A Lone Voice

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 10:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Yeah, Bush was pretty stupid. And a lousy president.

But you're right; I guess Obama is a bit better in front of a camera than Bush was. But not by much, if you look at his delivery away from the teleprompter.

Kind of reminds me of an actor at the Academy Awards. Great in his role when reading his lines, but not too impressive when he has to actually talk on his own.
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:04 am
@A Lone Voice,
Actually, this is a line being pushed by Obama's political opponents. Rush, et al. have been trying to drive this line of thought into the public domain as a counter to Obama's general eloquence. Obama has spoken publicly on many occasions without a teleprompter and he is generally well spoken if a little long winded. As you say, look at his delivery away from the teleprompter. His recent question session in front of the Republicans w0uld be a fair example. Another would be his debate performances against Clinton and McCain. He's a fine public speaker, reasonably quick on his feet, shows a decent grasp of the issues. That said, he definitely should have learned how to say corpseman. If anything, the teleprompter hurt him here. If he was doing it from memory, he'd probably have said it correctly.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 08:15 am
@A Lone Voice,
A Lone Voice wrote:
an Obamabot

Everyone knows that I'm far from being an Obamabot. At least I'm not a pronunciation Nazi.... Wink
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 10:41 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
That said, he definitely should have learned how to say corpseman.

Or that's just his preferred pronunciation. When he speaks of the Peace Corps, for example, he uses the pronunciation 'core'. But he's addressed troops in the past and references 'corpsmen' by pronouncing it the same as he did at the prayer breakfast, 'corpse-man'. I think it's just his preferred way of saying it.