Do Atheists favour Buddism over the other faiths?

Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 04:09 am
@Jasper10,
If you search within.i.e INWARD meditation then there is a right and a left.The right and the left are perfect mirror images in EVERY aspect.They totally cancel each other out when it comes to reasonings.PERIOD.In other words neither side will be able to PROVE that there is or isn’t a God.The FACT that both reasonings are searching for answers one way or the other is PROOF that neither is exercising true FAITH.Neither side is accepting what God says in his word.They are the ILLUSIONS.These reasonings will try to convince YOU that YOU are the ILLUSION and not them.
maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 09:35 am
@hightor,
Bhuddism is absolutely a faith.

At the core of any religion is a set of absolute truths that can't be proven. They have to be taken on faith.

Bhuddism is no different than any other religion on this point.
Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:18 am
@maxdancona,
A faith in what though? A faith in God or no God? or a faith that's not so sure ?
hightor

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
I wrote:
...a system of mental hygiene which addresses the consequences of human suffering in a practical manner.

Of all the major religious denominations, only Buddhism can be pared down to exclude the supernatural and still retain its essential principles. Looking at the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path it's difficult to see where any "faith" is required. You either think they make sense or you dismiss them. It's true, however, that there are many sects of Buddhism which posit supernaturalism and forms of faith. But the OP was asking how atheists think about Buddhism and when I think of Buddhism it's stripped down to its basics.
Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 10:58 am
@hightor,
Buddhism takes you down to Nihilism... PERIOD.The 2 off biological reasonings take you there.This totally suits the atheist...of course it does because the atheist can then say SELF doesn’t actually exist and therefore neither does God.WRONG...Think again....
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:01 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

A faith in what though? A faith in God or no God? or a faith that's not so sure ?

Bhuddism is a complicated religion (just like Christianity or Islam). There are many sects and the ideas differ. But I believe the common articles of faith are "abandonment" of the "illusion" of self, and the idea of a cycle of rebirth.

If we want to have a productive discussion about Bhuddism (or Christianity or Islam or any other religion) we will have to choose a specific sect of Bhuddism.

But, is there any Bhuddist here who denies that...

1) Buddhism is based on absolute truths.
2) These truths can not be proven, but must be accepted by faith.

That is how I define religion.
Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:12 am
@maxdancona,
What about the abandonment of the two off reasonings which have successfully convinced the FOOL that SELF is an Illusion.SELF is not an illusion....the two reasonings that brought the individual to this conclusion are.
maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:16 am
@Jasper10,
I don't understand what you are arguing here.
hightor

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:22 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
These truths can not be proven, but must be accepted by faith.

What I'm saying as an atheist is that these statements can be accepted on one's practical experience as well, because they don't posit the existence of supernatural phenomena. Some Buddhists might say they were inspired by the notion of "Right Conduct" to attempt to quit smoking. But should they fail, it wouldn't result in a crisis of "faith" as the fault was clearly their own. And it doesn't "disprove" the concept of right conduct, which is merely a simple guide and needn't be endlessly debated like the Trinity, the Immaculate Conception, or the Resurrection.
Quote:
Bhuddism is no different than any other religion on this point.

Actually it is.
Quote:
But, is there any Bhuddist here who denies that...

1) Buddhism is based on absolute truths.
2) These truths can not be proven, but must be accepted by faith.

Yes.

Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:24 am
@maxdancona,
Explain what the abandonment of SELF means from a Buddhists perspective.This has to be a cancelling out of an equal but opposite reasoning debate.Who’s doing the reasoning and cancelling out? It’s definitely not the SELF that’s for sure.
maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:42 am
@hightor,
Hightor,

You make Buddhism sound like being a Red Sox fan. There are no truths... I just put on my Buddhist hat and then I am a Buddhist with no requirements, no values and no beliefs.

If that is what you are saying, then I will agree Buddhism with no beliefs is is not a religion.

Go Fight Win Buddha!
maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:43 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Explain what the abandonment of SELF means from a Buddhists perspective.This has to be a cancelling out of an equal but opposite reasoning debate.Who’s doing the reasoning and cancelling out? It’s definitely not the SELF that’s for sure.

I am not taking a side. I am only saying that this is a religious argument.

There is no fact that I can test scientifically here. It is just a religious precept.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 11:49 am
I believe that the pursuit of pleasure has intrinsic value and that pleasure is a noble goal of life.

I believe that after I die, all parts of my existence end. What remain is my DNA and whatever effect I have on my children, but even this fade away. In 100,000 years any part of my existence will be meaningless.

I believe that individual expression is important and should be nurtured. Life is for living, for enjoying and for sharing.

Would a Buddhist say this?

Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Is that what Buddhism has taught you and you’ve believed it.This Buddha of yours has got a lot to answer for.He was a fraud.
maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:29 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Is that what Buddhism has taught you and you’ve believed it.This Buddha of yours has got a lot to answer for.He was a fraud.

You misunderstood. What I wrote is the reason that I reject Buddhism. For me, Buddhism is not true.

Jasper10

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 12:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Good for you on that one.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 02:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You make Buddhism sound like being a Red Sox fan.

If a person follows the Yankees and cheers their victories it wouldn't make sense to call him a Red Sox fan.
Quote:
There are no truths...

That is not the case — there are plenty of claims and pronouncements and there are definitely Buddhist values and beliefs. They just don't involve the supernatural, which is why many atheists and moral philosophers have felt a kinship to the precepts of pre-sectarian Buddhism.
Quote:
I just put on my Buddhist hat and then I am a Buddhist with no requirements, no values and no beliefs.

Not exactly. If you make no attempt to modify your thought and behavior in line with core Buddhist precepts you're not practicing Buddhism. There would be no reason to identify with Buddhism if you don't employ it in your day-to-day life.
Quote:
If that is what you are saying, then I will agree Buddhism with no beliefs is is not a religion.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I didn't say that Buddhism wasn't a religion. I said that it didn't require and wasn't based on faith.
Quote:
Would a Buddhist say this?

If that's what they believed sure they could say that. You believe in the pursuit of pleasure. So could a Buddhist. The Buddhist would seek pleasure in line with Buddhist teachings believing that, in the words of Leopardi, "true pleasure lies not in the satisfaction of one's desires, but in their extinction."
maxdancona

Mon 14 Sep, 2020 02:54 pm
@hightor,
Nonsense.

The belief in "rebirth" is supernatural, especially when it relates to reincarnation. The narrative of self and suffering is supernatural. The myths about Naga snakes are supernatural (and before you say Naga snakes don't count... it was you who mentioned "pre-sectarian" Buddhism. The original Buddhism had Naga snakes). Buddhism had to be changed quite a bit to appropriate it into a modern Western cultural context.

Tell me a "claim" that Buddhism makes that isn't based on supernatural claims.
hightor

Tue 15 Sep, 2020 04:10 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Nonsense.

What's "non-sensical" here?
Quote:
The belief in "rebirth" is supernatural, especially when it relates to reincarnation.

Reincarnation is a belief which originated in Hinduism, not Buddhism.
Quote:
The narrative of self and suffering is supernatural.

No it isn't. It's an insight into the interaction between human psychology and the world as we experience it. It doesn't posit anything supernatural.
Quote:
The myths about Naga snakes are supernatural (and before you say Naga snakes don't count... it was you who mentioned "pre-sectarian" Buddhism.

Again, these are traditional Hindu beliefs, grafted onto Buddhism, the same way various pagan traditions were worked into the fabric of Christianity.
Quote:
Buddhism had to be changed quite a bit to appropriate it into a modern Western cultural context.

There were already many sects and traditions in Buddhism by the time the teachings became popularized in the West. Buddhism didn't have to be changed; Westerners simply had to sort out the various schools and study how they grew from the earliest forms of the religion.
Quote:
Tell me a "claim" that Buddhism makes that isn't based on supernatural claims.

Sure. The Middle Way between the extremes of sensual indulgence and extreme self-mortification:
Quote:
Monks, these two extremes ought not to be practiced by one who has gone forth from the household life. There is addiction to indulgence of sense-pleasures, which is low, coarse, the way of ordinary people, unworthy, and unprofitable; and there is addiction to self-mortification, which is painful, unworthy, and unprofitable.

Avoiding both these extremes, the Tathagata (the Perfect One) has realized the Middle Path; it gives vision, gives knowledge, and leads to calm, to insight, to enlightenment and to Nibbana. And what is that Middle Path realized by the Tathagata...? It is the Noble Eightfold path, and nothing else, namely: right understanding, right thought, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration.

This is not a supernatural claim, it's practical advice Gautama gave to five ascetics.

Again, the topic is whether atheism and Buddhism are more compatible than atheism and the other great religions. While later followers tacked on massive amounts of mythology and supernaturalism derived from Hinduism and other folk beliefs, the essential elements of Buddhism can be practiced by atheists as well as followers of other religions because they aren't based on a Supreme Being.

Jasper10

Tue 15 Sep, 2020 05:11 am
@maxdancona,
There has to be a logical MENTAL reasoning as to where the abandonment of SELF comes from if this is a common denominator. Which individual came up with that. Was it this Buddha fella? Do followers of Buddhism accept this statement blindly or do they know what it actually means? Abandonment of self is Nihilism, re-packaged. No wonder Atheist relate to these views. Abandonment of SELF is a lie. The two reasonings cancel themselves out yes but SELF is NOT reasonings. SELF only has reasonings.
0 Replies