Do Atheists favour Buddism over the other faiths?

Jasper10

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:03 pm
@maxdancona,
You have to do one thing....you have to let Jesus die for all your sins before entry to heaven will be granted.....but what are sins if no rules are in place that can be broken?

The 2 off “in your head AUTOPILOT reasonings” say there are no rules... nothing matters....Nihilism means there is no God....The question is do you believe these reasonings or not? Is this where you place your bet?

The God of the bible says there are rules.....the Ten Commandments .....I HOPE...
maxdancona

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:08 pm
@Jasper10,
Ok... so the obvious way for me to win this game is to "let Jesus die...." right now, and then just keep drinking and ******* and gambling knowing that I am going to heaven anyway.

If that is all I have to do, then I am in.

Just because I believe in the Nine Commandments... doesn't mean I have to follow them.

Jasper10

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:12 pm
@maxdancona,
God knows a sincere heart and and a heart that is not sincere.

maxdancona

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:21 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

God knows a sincere heart and and a heart that is not sincere.

Wait a second. You are changing your story.

Either salvation is free to me (i.e. it costs me nothing), or salvation requires me to give up something I value.

Which is it?
Jasper10

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:29 pm
@maxdancona,
What are you giving up if it isn’t sincere?
maxdancona

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:30 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

What are you giving up if it isn’t sincere?

Sex! I have already been clear about that.

1. I want to have sex with any consenting adult who I fancy.
2. I want to go to heaven.

Can I have both, or do I have to give one to have the other?
Jasper10

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:39 pm
@maxdancona,
The bible says one should flee from sexual immorality.
maxdancona

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 03:41 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

The bible says one should flee from sexual immorality.

In that case... salvation has a cost. I like sexual immorality, and now you are telling me that to get to heaven I have to give it up.

The reason that I don't accept God as a "wager" is that God costs too much to make it worth it.

Sturgis

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 04:13 pm
@maxdancona,
It's too late for you maximillius.

If you had been a thieving, conniving, cold-blooded killer, a few prayers and thoughts along with good deeds would have given you the gate card and an unlimited all access card. (they don't use keys anymore and dear lord, dead spirits have no thumbprint or retina imge)

However being a lust filled sinner means your soul has been smited for all eternity.

I know this because I used to go to Methodist Church weekly.

maxdancona

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 04:40 pm
@Sturgis,
Well Sturgis, I am just looking at this as a gambler (I happen to be gambler, but funny enough it was Jasper's idea).

The cost of the bet seems awfully high given my likelihood of winning anything.
Sturgis

Thu 1 Oct, 2020 04:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Isn't Gambling the 30000th "deadly" sin ...atheist or not?

...and why would a true atheist care about a place called Heaven (not one catering to carnal desires).
revelette1

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:22 pm
@Sturgis,
Hi.

I actually asked my dad (he was a preacher while I was growing up so kind of my go to person when I ask a religious question..) that once. I said, why is gambling considered wrong. I can't find it anywhere in the bible. He said it was implied in several places when it talks about making usury or unfair gain off other people in different places in the bible. He said in order to win in gambling, someone has to lose and you are causing that person hardship. I thought about it and it makes sense when you consider all of Jesus's gospel in the four gospel of the Bible. But it is not a direct command, like thou shall not steal back in the OT.( just my view)
Jasper10

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:36 pm
@Sturgis,
The bible says that no good deeds will ever get anyone into Heaven.One can do as many good deeds as one wants.The bible says ALL our good deeds are filthy rags.
revelette1

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:38 pm
@Jasper10,
Where in the Bible does it use those words? So you think people are just picked out at random to be saved from Hell? If I actually thought along those lines, I would reject the whole thing.
Sturgis

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:44 pm
@revelette1,
Interesting take on it. Thank you.
In my youngest days gambling was complete sin...at least for the Methodist church.
If anything was given a reward...a ribbon for memorizing bible verses, we were told to say a prayer of thanks and to do something nice for the people who didn't get any ribbons.

The ribbons were meant to go in the bible to mark off verses.

Gambling included raffle tickets, lottery, ...

That branch later edged up into the United Methodist. Not sure how they view gambling, but I know they seemed less constricted.

Eventually,I exited organized religion. Several reasons.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:46 pm
@Jasper10,
I think the good deeds can only be thought of as filth if the do-gooder keeps singing their own praise. Humility is paramount.
Jasper10

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 02:59 pm
@revelette1,
Salvation is a gift from God....Ephesians 2:8.Also, all our righteous acts are filthy rags....Isaiah 64:6

What does it matter if you reject the whole thing......who are you...who am I when it comes to God.He doesn’t answer to us..We can hate him for an eternity if we wish.

Jasper10

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 03:06 pm
@Sturgis,
Humility is a massive thing you are right and a wonderful gift from God if one has it.It enables one to see Gods ways more clearly.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 9 Oct, 2020 05:08 pm
@Jasper10,
I do not interpret that verse and surrounding verses in the same way as apparently you do.

Paul was speaking about Christians who thought they had to become Jews to be saved by obeying the old law given to Israel. We are (Christians) are now living in NT times by the grace of God.

The way you would have it everyone on earth is going to be saved by the grace of God when in the bible it plainly says the road to heaven is wide and the way to Hell is wide. Moreover, simple belief is not going to cut it either.

Jesus said not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord" shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Matthew 7:21

Either that is contradiction to your verse or your interpretation does not put the verse in the context it was written.
Jasper10

Sat 10 Oct, 2020 12:46 am
@revelette1,
The bible says that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world.1 John 2:2

The bible says that one needs to accept this gift gladly.John 3:16....John 3:36

The bible says that God is the alpha and the omega..He is all knowing.

The bible says that no one deserves this gift.

0 Replies