Do Atheists favour Buddism over the other faiths?

Setanta

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 09:57 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
From Basic Buddhism: The Theory of Karma

Quote:
In this world nothing happens to a person that he does not for some reason or other deserve. Usually, men of ordinary intellect cannot comprehend the actual reason or reasons. The definite invisible cause or causes of the visible effect is not necessarily confined to the present life, they may be traced to a proximate or remote past birth. (emphasis added)

Errant superstition.

Basic Buddhism also does not agree with your claims about reincarnation.
This is also superstition. There is no evidence for either of these claims. When one believes in something for which there is no evidence, one practices superstition.

I have absolutely no reason to consider you to be an expert source of Buddhism.

That's my post. If you can't follow the link and find that text than you're an idiot. If you call me a liar when i have provided my source, you're a vicious bitch, and a liar yourself. I provided that source, and it supports what i've said. You have provided no source which refutes what i've said.

You're the moron around here.
Setanta

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:04 am
Here, maybe you need to have this shouted at you.

Quote:
In this world nothing happens to a person that he does not for some reason or other deserve. Usually, men of ordinary intellect cannot comprehend the actual reason or reasons. The definite invisible cause or causes of the visible effect is not necessarily confined to the present life, they may be traced to a proximate or remote past birth. (emphasis added)

Clearly, that assume one or more past lives. Absent incontrovertible evidence that anyone has ever lived more than one life, one can only take such a claim on plain, blind faith. This is errant superstition.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:08 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Karma just means volitional actions. It means all thoughts, actions and speeches have consequences. Absolutely nothing superstitious about this.

all thoughts having consequences is NOT a superstition?

I'll have to disagree with your personal opinion on that.
Thomas

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:33 am
@JoanKhanib,
JoanKhanib wrote:
Whether you're an Atheist or not do you find this is the case or not?

Not really. While Buddhism doesn't require that you believe in gods, it does require you to believe in equally implausible things, reincarnation for example. I am an atheist, not because I'm against gods, but because I'm against superstition. So, although I respect that there is somewhat less superstition in Buddhism than in Christianity, my respect doesn't rise to the level of favoring Buddhism.
Krumple

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:37 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Sure they do. Because thoughts can lead to actions. This is just one of their consequences. There have been studies done that certain modes of thinking can effect over all health. A person who thinks more positively or with more positive modes of thinking vs a person with more negative or self defeating modes of thought.

Thoughts have other consequences as well. They can limit certain aspects of life. Or completely sever communication. They can effect mood and get in the way of other activities. Thoughts can also effect how you perceive the world itself.

So how could they NOT have consequences?
Krumple

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:40 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

JoanKhanib wrote:
Whether you're an Atheist or not do you find this is the case or not?

Not really. While Buddhism doesn't require that you believe in gods, it does require you to believe in equally implausible things, reincarnation for example. I am an atheist, not because I'm against gods, but because I'm against superstition. So, although I respect that there is somewhat less superstition in Buddhism than in Christianity, my respect doesn't rise to the level of favoring Buddhism.

See that's just the thing. Buddhism doesn't actually teach reincarnation. It is something that has been culturally misconstrued. It goes right back to what I was saying. Repeat something enough times and people begin to think it is a true statement even if it is false. People keep repeating it as if it were something that most buddhist hold as being true. They don't.
Setanta

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:46 am
Apparently, you can scream it at her, and it doesn't sink in.
Krumple

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 10:54 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Apparently, you can scream it at her, and it doesn't sink in.

You want to look over that link again that YOU supplied to me? It even states it in there. But that's right, you are not here to actually have a discussion. You are just a troll. I don't know how you could have more blatantly fucked up than to provide a link that would prove you wrong on so many levels.

Yeah I forgot, you don't actually read anything. You just cherry pick and cross your fingers and hope you got the right statement. Click on that link you provided, I dare you to read it over. Unless your comprehension skills are that lacking you can't even see where you messed up.
Setanta

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:13 am
@Krumple,
What an incredible ******* idiot. The definite invisible cause or causes of the visible effect is not necessarily confined to the present life, they may be traced to a proximate or remote past birth. What about that sentence don't you understand?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:27 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Sure they do. Because thoughts can lead to actions.

Can.

Not do.

So ... not all thoughts have consequences.

Krumple

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:29 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
So ... not all thoughts have consequences.

Yes, they all do. When I use the word consequences, I don't just mean the negative impacts but I am also including the positive ones. But not only that the neutral one's as well. So yes, ALL thoughts have consequences.
ehBeth

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:36 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
So yes, ALL thoughts have consequences.

and that is one person's opinion

that's it. that's all.
Krumple

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:52 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
and that is one person's opinion

that's it. that's all.

You do realize that works both ways right?

Krumple

Fri 17 Aug, 2012 11:55 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Errant superstition.

Basic Buddhism also does not agree with your claims about reincarnation.
This is also superstition. There is no evidence for either of these claims. When one believes in something for which there is no evidence, one practices superstition.

I have absolutely no reason to consider you to be an expert source of Buddhism.

That's my post. If you can't follow the link and find that text than you're an idiot. If you call me a liar when i have provided my source, you're a vicious bitch, and a liar yourself. I provided that source, and it supports what i've said. You have provided no source which refutes what i've said.

Click on the link you provided Sentanta and read the entire thing. You will see that the very link you supply contradicts what you are trying to state. The only moron here is you. Not even sure why I waste time because you are obviously being dishonest.
Setanta

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 02:42 am
@Krumple,
That link takes one to a page which denies that reincarnation into animal forms takes place. It does not deny that reincarnation can or does take place. In fact, it's a tour de force in slective, religious cognitive dissonance. It avoids ever addressing the issue of whether or not reincarnation does take place, while prating about levels of spiritual attainment.

As for dishonest, you continue to fail to address the passage from the section on karma which i have posted again and again. Here it is, tediously, once again: The definite invisible cause or causes of the visible effect is not necessarily confined to the present life, they may be traced to a proximate or remote past birth. Do you allege that the people responsible for that web site have willfully contradicted themselves? Or do you simply avoid addressing that quotation because it doesn't square with your moronic claims?

You're the dishonest one here, the one who won't face up to the evidencc i've provided.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 09:09 am
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
Greetings, XXSpadeMasterXX! Smile

I'm afraid you won't get a response from kuvasz. He hasn't posted here at A2K since November of last year.

Greetings, to you mate!!! thanks for telling me that...I hope you have been well...You can send me a pm if you would like to talk!! Wink
0 Replies

Thomas

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 09:18 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
See that's just the thing. Buddhism doesn't actually teach reincarnation.

Since an earlier post of yours agrees with my general point that Buddhism, too, is into superstition, I don't think it's necessary to argue out the particular point about incarnation.
ehBeth

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 09:23 am
@Krumple,
I'm not the person who believes that all thoughts have consequences.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 09:40 am
@Setanta,
And to answer the question to the thread...I would imagine that some would find it more of value than other theologies...But I would say that most atheists, do not find it to be more of value, and find it to be just as equal to the other ones...And some atheists would probably even argue that Buddhism is worse than other ones...Because of certain practices within Buddhism...And probably think that Buddhists are more selfish than any other philosophy, or theology...Not that I agree with any of them...

Setanta wrote:
Jesus wept--you just cannot resist shooting your big mouth off about atheists, despite the fact that you don't know **** about atheists. Clown.

maporsche wrote:
I'm an atheist, and I agree with Rosb. There are aspects to Budd. that I like (meditation) but it pretty much stops there.

I haven't met a lot of hypocritical Buddists, so I don't have as much disdain for them as I do other reliious followers.

rosborne979 wrote:
Speaking only for myself (Atheist), I would say no.

Among all the religious dogma out there, I find Buddhism to be one of the less odious options if forced to choose, but Secularism trumps all religion equally.

Setanta wrote:
It's not a case of people not understanding, but of people not being fooled by the double talk. As Frank has just pointed out, this is a blatant case of crafting a definition which supports the thesis--the ultimate question begging.

If anything, the Buddhists are the most hypocritical, self-deluding religionists out there. It's not about ending sufffering, it's about ending personal angst, it's about ending personal anxiety. Buddhists don't give a rat's ass about the starving peasant family next door, except to the extent they expect the poor bastards to feed them. Buddhism is ultimately selfish, much more selfish than most other major religions. It's about you and you alone, and to hell with everybody else.

Buddhist "priests" and monks and nuns in South Asia are parasitic organisms who not only do nothing to end anyone else's suffering, by being useless mouths whom the peasants feed, they increase suffering.

Something, I missed??
Krumple

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 08:23 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Krumple wrote:
See that's just the thing. Buddhism doesn't actually teach reincarnation.

Since an earlier post of yours agrees with my general point that Buddhism, too, is into superstition, I don't think it's necessary to argue out the particular point about incarnation.

And you fall into that same typical line. You didn't even check that link. That link supplied even states the same thing that I stated. I am saying that the cultural ignorance that buddhism teaches reincarnation is actually incorrect. I am trying to correct that error. You don't care about truth. You just want to keep people rehashing nonsense because you don't care about what is true.