Organization for Honest Trade

tintin

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 09:26 pm
please look at this...
By alerting the public to several misleading advertising campaigns, the Organization for Honest Trade has not only led consumers to reconsider purchasing choices but also prompted companies to discontinue the deceptive marketing practices.

Is it a good usage ' the Organization for Honest Trade' ?? I thought it should be 'Honest Trade Organization' ... is there any difference ?

Can you also tell what exactly a 'purchasing choices' means ? my wild guess says ..choices influenced by advertisements .

your comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 592 • Replies: 7
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 09:57 pm
@tintin,
ummm
Organization can be in front or back(OAS-Organization Of American States) for example.
Purchasing choice can be influenced by ads, the economy, word of mouth, or your girlfriends whining.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 4 Feb, 2010 10:10 pm
@tintin,
purchasing choices means

what you buy
panzade

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 08:53 am
@oolongteasup,
what SHE said
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:14 am
@tintin,
tintin wrote:
Is it a good usage ' the Organization for Honest Trade' ?? I thought it should be 'Honest Trade Organization' ... is there any difference ?

Yes, it is good usage. Organization for Honest Trade suggests an organization dedicated to keeping trade honest. That's what this organization does, judging by the rest of the text. By contrast, Honest Trade Organization is more ambiguous: this name would also fit an organization that engages in honest trade.

tintin wrote:
Can you also tell what exactly a 'purchasing choices' means ?

Purchasing choices are the products that you choose to buy, for whatever reason. Of course, your choice can be influenced by advertisements. But this influence isn't necessary to make it a choice.
tintin

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:33 pm
@Thomas,
what is 'Honest Trade' here ?

JTT

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:35 pm
@Thomas,
I feel that The Organization for Honest Trade lends a greater degree of formality and therefore, a greater degree of seriousness to such a group.

American States Organization, even with a 'the' in front, just doesn't have the same panache.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:38 pm
@tintin,
It means that people, mostly advertisers and producers, do things in a straight forward, undeceptive manner when describing products and services.
0 Replies