The A2K Fantasy Winter Olympics Vancouver 2010

djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:20 pm
according to the news tonight, more than 30 athletes might be disqualified before the games even begin depending on further reviews of drug tests
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:22 pm
@realjohnboy,
tomorrow
tomorrow!

I will have my team canada hockey jersey on and will be getting all teary-eyed about the opening ceremony and remembering the '76 Olympics and looking at the old photos and I can't wait!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 06:23 pm
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/2010wintergames/Canadian+Olympians+clean+other+athletes+fail+drug+tests/2551368/story.html
Canadian Olympians clean, but 30 other athletes fail drug tests

VANCOUVER - Any athlete who tries to cheat at the Vancouver Winter Games by taking banned substance is more likely to get caught than at any other Olympics in history, the president of the World Anti-Doping Agency said Thursday.

John Fahey said more than 30 athletes have been prevented from competing in Vancouver for violating anti-doping rules in recent months. He declined to release the names of the athletes or the sports in which they compete, saying that's the responsibility of the national organizations that do the testing.

But Fahey said the number of disqualified athletes is 'significant' and shows the effectiveness of pre-Games testing.

"We're getting better. Anti-doping agencies are getting better. The weaponry that's being used is far more effective." He stopped short, however, of predicting a drug-free Olympics.

"Does this mean that the Vancouver Games will be clean? Well, I don¹t think anybody's in a position to make that declaration."

"I guess in sport, like in all other areas of society, human behavior is rarely predictable. There will always be athletes, and certainly their entourage, who will attempt to get an edge on their competitors in any possible way.

"I guess the one thing I will declare is that . . . it's more likely they will be caught than at any other Games in our history." In addition to better testing, Fahey credited improved co-operation between anti-doping agencies and law enforcement officials for allowing targeted rather than blanket testing.

For instance, he said in his home country of Australia, if customs officials notice a suspicious package destined for a coach or athlete, the nation¹s anti-doping officials will be alerted, and the athlete can expect a prompt visit, he said.

"It's good," he said. "It's weeding out the cheats. It's assuring the clean athletes of the world that they're not going to be lining up next to, or competing with, someone who is seeking or taking an advantage in an illegal manner." David Howman, the agency's director general, said none of the more than 30 athletes who failed pre-Games testing will be in Vancouver.

"There should be no athlete here who is under any cloud of suspicion, because we¹ve already said there's no subject of a current case who will be here." But, with more testing being done at the Vancouver Olympics than at the previous Games in Turin, there could still be athletes caught cheating in the coming days.

Howman said the International Olympic Committee expects to conduct 2,000 tests at the Vancouver Games and 500 blood tests.
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 09:17 pm
My picks:

Group A:
Germany Women
Canada Women

Group B:
Norway
Austria

Group C:
South Korea
China

Group D:
Australia
Czech Republic
Poland
Slovenia
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:11 am
We have 13 participants so far: fbaezer, RJB, osso, tsar, Jespah, George, Rhyss, djjdd2, ehbeth, engineer, McGentrix, Seed and tgordon92, who will be our co-commish.

4 of us have won fantasy olympic medals (silver for myself in 2006, bronze for George, RJB won silver in 2008, while tgordon92 won the gold). This, not to speak about McG's and Seed's exploits in fantasy football.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:54 am
United States Men
United States Women

Italy
Sweden

Finland
Netherlands

Czech Republic
Great Britain
Japan
Poland

Beijing Two thousand and eight.

Jespah and I received pewter and copper medals. That does count.

1. tgordon92 (Chicago 2016) - 932 points
2. realjohnboy (WIFF's) - 899
3. hingehead - 887
4. alex - 870
5. jespah (Ring-o-leave-os) - 866
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 12:45 pm
Did Seed ever make a specific fourth pick in Group D?
alex240101

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:17 pm
Time to get fired up.
I was ten.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:18 pm
@fbaezer,
Am I too late? Not sure if the opening ceremony has begun.

If not, Ozzie-Nob-Slayers lines up as follows:

Group A:
USA Men
Canada Women

Group B:
Norway
Russia

Group C:
Netherlands
Finland

Group D:
Romania
Estonia
Ukraine
Moldova
djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:58 pm
Georgian luger taken to Whistler hospital after terrifying crash on track
Terry Bell, Canwest News Service: Friday, February 12, 2010 2:30 PM
http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/41524/1d/www.globalnational.com/Georgian%20luger%20taken%20Whistler%20hospital%20after%20terrifying%20crash%20track/2556532/2556537.bin?size=sw380nws
Luge participant Nodar Kumaritashvili of Georgia trains at the Whistler Sliding Centre Wednesday. His sled apparently flew off the track during training Friday.
Photo Credit: Peter J. Thompson, Canwest

Georgian luge competitor Nodar Kumaritashvili is en route to Whistler Hospital after a terrifying crash moments ago at Whistler Olympic Park.

Kumaritashvili was going close to 150 km/h, near the end of the course, when he launched off the track. Witnesses say his body hit a metal pole. CPR was performed almost immediately and an ambulance rushed Kumaritashvili from Whistler Olympic Park.

Canwest Olympic Team's Terry Bell has been told that Kumaritashvili hit his head on a metal pole as he flew off the track. Medical personnel performed CPR through a plastic tube.

"It does not look good," says Bell.

Kumaritashvili turned 21 in November. He has competed in luge for Georgia since 2008.

Earlier Friday during training, one of the event favourites got a scare. The 2002 and 2006 gold medallist Armin Zoeggler of Italy crashed rounding corner 11.

Zoeggler slid about 200 metres while holding his sled with one hand to keep from being hit with it. Zoeggler recovered from his crash and took his second run in a fast 47.9 to put him near the top of the training times.

On Wednesday there were several crashes during women's luge training runs.

Romania's Violeta Stramaturaru crashed and was knocked unconscious for a few minutes and was taken to the hospital.

Zoeggler recovered from his crash and took his second run in a fast 47.9 to put him near the top of the training times.
fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:20 pm
@lmur,
Not too late, lmur. Welcome.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:21 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Did Seed ever make a specific fourth pick in Group D?

There's still time before the opening ceremony. If not... Zaire it will be. Very Happy
djjd62

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:30 pm
@djjd62,
update

from Global News twitter feed
GlobalNational
The IOC has confirmed Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili has died after a horrific crash during a training run.
Seed

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:36 pm
@fbaezer,
I will pick Georgia in honor of the man who just died.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
I'm switching from Russia to Austria.
No, I'm not.
Yes, I am.
Russia.
Austria.
Russia.
Aus . . .

Oh hell, keep Russia.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:17 pm
@djjd62,
that luge run has been brutal this week
Seed

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Yea it's closed now. To bad it took a death to do it
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:44 pm
Thanks, fbaezer, for kicking this off and for hooking me up with the spreadsheet to track results. We've got 15 entrants so far, with a little over three hours until the opening ceremonies begin.

I'll be updating daily, but most likely not until about 18 hours after the previous day's events have concluded. I'm in Washington, DC, which is three hours ahead of Vancouver, making it tough to update before I go to bed. I may have a chance to update in the morning or during the work day, but can't guarantee updates until I'm home from the office. Best of luck to everyone!

Tom
jespah

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:00 pm
@tgordon92,
Tom - do you like playing fantasy baseball? We have a league forming, would love to have you join us.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 05:08 pm
Local boy Alex (Chumpy) Pullin will perform well in boardercross. He went to school with my daughter and we wish him the best.

Lydia Lassila and Jacqui Cooper train on our mountain and if the Chinese girls let em in they are up there as a medal chance.

The conditions are pretty challenging here, we are so dependent on the weather,” Gardner said.

“This is what we train with in Australia, so if anyone has a head start it’s probably us and we like the sticky slow stuff, so bring it on.”

As they say in Australian speed skating circles
Ah tisshoo Ah tisshoo we all fall down.
0 Replies