Feral Cat Situation: Legal/ Ethical Options

patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:11 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
yeah, "so never then?" you say

Not at all. These efforts can be successful, especially when people pull together and don't allow for laxity until the project is finished. One of the city shelters we go to offering low-cost/high-volume spay neuter has done a phenomenal job over the last couple of years of getting the word out, keeping regular clinics (2/month), etc., and their annual cat intake has dropped by 300 since we started going up there. They're the exception rather than the rule, but even on a citywide scale it's possible to make a dent with relatively modest resources.

The trick in these neighborhood situations isn't just to get the cats who are there done, but to get it done before surrounding folks figure out that it's a place where they can dump their own unwanted cats. This appears to be more of a problem on farms -- many of the dairy folk who bring us cats swear that people keep dumping cats there, and I actually believe some of them -- but it can happen in cities, as well. Cat ladies attract cats even when they're not looking for them.

So keep up the good work. Hope feathers aren't too ruffled with the neighbs.
patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 07:14 pm
(for all I know, our neighborhood is coming together in the same way, watching our burgeoning household dog population.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:47 am
PPD, do you mean your neighborhood bids fair to be overrun with feral dogs?
patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:06 am
@Setanta,
Just our yard.
sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:18 am
@patiodog,
You take care of 'em though! And, especially, spay/ neuter 'em.

How many do you have now?

Thanks much for the encouragement re: the cats, it does feel a bit Sisyphean at the moment. Excellent point about dumping, I never would have thought of that. I have a cat-lady-in-the-making friend who swears kittens keep showing up on her doorstep. I thought of prevailing upon her good nature but I couldn't do it, she already has like three cats (one or two recently died) and not much money. We are getting a fair amount of owners lined up though. The motherlode is the mechanic who wants some mousers for his shop, he's willing to take 2 or 3.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:18 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Just our yard.

Overrun with Patio's dogs, eh?
patiodog

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:00 pm
@dlowan,
Sozobe thinks three felids a cat lady makes. What a naif.

Four dogs at the moment. I give one of them less than a year to go, but I gave her a few months 2 years ago, so who knows?
sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:43 pm
@patiodog,
No no, "in the making," plus she had more but one died recently.

(OK how many cats do you need to have to become a cat lady?)
Rockhead

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:46 pm
@sozobe,
I think 5.

(unless there's ferrets involved)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:14 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

No no, "in the making," plus she had more but one died recently.

(OK how many cats do you need to have to become a cat lady?)

A lot.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:17 am
@sozobe,
No hard rules, but I'd say half a dozen in a small dwelling, and double figures required for a trailer or a house. 3 cats is --------- well, it's a little gross, cuz they **** in the house, but it ain't cat lady territory.

Unless one of your cats dies unexpectedly in a neighbor's yard, and you don't notice. That's a cat lady territory regardless of number.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:01 am
@patiodog,
Are there every any cat men?
Linkat

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:49 am
@ossobuco,
I do remember seeing a news article on a cat man....once. If I can find it I will post it.
patiodog

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Never encountered a cat man. A couple of pit bull guys (in the pathologic, rather than the breeding for nefarious purposes, sense), and of course there are pigeon men, but a cat man? Well, they must exist, but I expect they're rare birds...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 06:08 pm
@patiodog,
I figured as much, but it could have been my assumption. I knew a pit bull guy who had a lot of pups at his place, but he was too wacked out and poor to get the dog neutered, so not the same thing - or is it.. He worked for a contractor I knew, and that all got resolved eventually.

I can see guys being collectors, say, of thousands of fish, but they tend to be the guys who can handle the techniques of keeping that going and it's called a hobby.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 10:46 am
I did have an oddball co-worker (male) who was a big cat guy. Not the cat man type with 10 cats or something - he had two or three. And the odd thing was he had pictures at his desk of them with Santa hats and crap like that.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 01:13 pm
Oh, Cat Guys! I immediately think of "An Engineer's Guide to Cats," that very-funny (I thought) YouTube video from a while back.

They only had 3 cats.

_I_ only have 3 cats. At one time I had 5 cats. So, I'm a Former Cat Lady? Darn It!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 03:53 pm
The second caught cat was also pregnant... there may be a third caught one, I'm not sure yet. (Ambiguous email.)
patiodog

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:25 pm
@sozobe,
Spring is in the air.

And the uteri.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@patiodog,
Well here he is....

http://www.heromachine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/bad-catman.jpg
0 Replies