a body of works

tintin

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:45 pm
please see this..

During the next nine years (from 399 to 390 B.C.E.), Plato committed his first works to writing, a body of works that included Laches, Protagoras, and Apology. These works are collectively known as Plato’s Socratic dialogues, because they are heavily focused on and influenced by his late teacher.

see the wording 'a body of works' ...... is it correctly used ? can we use 'body' here......'body' is related to anatomy ...is not it ?

feeling uncomfortable with this usage. can you please explain whether we can use the word this way ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 568 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:48 pm
@tintin,
Body can be used here because it means "collection". Just like a body is made up of a collection of parts.
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:54 pm
@tintin,
please see this..

please look at this..

'see' is seen in English as an involuntary action, Tintin. It isn't used in the sense you intend here. For that use, look at/review/take-have a look, peek, gander at
tintin

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:59 pm
@JTT,
Thanks . I learnt new things . Thanks for the correction and explanation. Thanks for your time.
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:00 pm
@Seed,
ok .. I got it now ... no more confusion Smile ..... happy. ... thanks for your time.
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:44 pm
@JTT,
yeah 'body of works' is crummy

use 'oeuvre' instead
0 Replies