fansy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:51 pm
Can "Lordship" be used to address the King of an ancient feudal Kingdom while there was an emperor above them all?
And how are "Your Lordship", "His Lordship", "My Lordship" used? Can we use "Our Lordship", "Their Lordship", or "My own Lordship", "Your own Lordship"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,432 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:25 pm
@fansy,
Quote:
Lordship - a title used to address any British peer except a duke and extended to a bishop or a judge; "Your Lordship"; "His Lordship"
title - an appellation signifying nobility; "`your majesty' is the appropriate title to use in addressing a king"
fansy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:50 pm
@Seed,
I am talking about ancient Chinese history and translation of titles. About two thousand years ago, the present Chinese territory, though previously reunified by First Emperor of China, was again split up into many warring states, with the original Emperor still there reigning part of the land. So we can use "Your Majesty", "His Majesty" to address Him. But the "lesser" rulers, if I may call them so, were addressed "zhu gong" in Chinese, meaning roughly, "master" or "lord". That's why I hesitate to use "Majesty" to address the two lesser rulers.
Can we call the greater "legitimate" ruler "Majesty" while we call the lesser ones also "Majesty"?
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 07:54 pm
@fansy,
I am not sure about that. Though I don't think I have ever heard of anyone in Chinese history refered to "Lordship"
fansy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:16 pm
@Seed,
Then, what about "your excellency", "your honor"?
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:21 pm
@fansy,
"your excellency" I have seen, "your honor" not so much
fansy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:53 pm
@Seed,
Quote:
Excellency is an honorific style given to certain members of an organization or state. Usually, people styled "Excellency" are counted amongst: heads of state, heads of government, ambassadors, certain ecclesiastics, certain members of royalty and others holding equivalent rank (e.g. heads of international organizations, high commissioners in the Commonwealth of Nations).
It is sometimes misinterpreted as a title of office in itself, but in fact it is an honorific which goes with and is used before various such titles (such as Mr. President, and so on), both in speech and in writing. In reference to such an official, it takes the form "His/Her Excellency"; in direct address, "Your Excellency", or, less formally, simply "Excellency".

The abbreviation "HE" is often used in stead of "His Excellency"; alternatively it may stand for "His Eminence".

I googled the term "excellecy", it gives me the impression that we can use it to address a president (but can we use it to address an emperor?) as well as a minister/ambassador. But I am not sure if I can use this term to address an emperor at the very top level and a king at a lower level.

Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 08:53 pm
@fansy,
I don't think it is a question of "if" or "can" but more of a question of "did they use the term themselves"
fansy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:03 pm
@Seed,
I am translating a historial play, in which "Zhu Gong" is used to address two "heroes" aspiring after the throne of Han Dynasty Court.
Suppose you work for Liu Bei of Shu Kingdom and I work for Sun Quan of Wu Kingdom. How should I address the "Zhu Gong" you work for? "Your (own) Majesty" or "His Majesty" while HE is not present? And also what title I should use to talk to you about the "Zhu Gong" I serve, "My Majesty" or "His Majesty"?
I hope you are not confused. Thanks
Seed

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:04 pm
@fansy,
Haha, no I understand what you are getting at, but that is a bit out of my league Sad perhaps someone can come by and further help you out
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 09:57 pm
@fansy,
Quote:
How should I address the "Zhu Gong" you work for? "Your (own) Majesty" or "His Majesty" while HE is not present? And also what title I should use to talk to you about the "Zhu Gong" I serve, "My Majesty" or "His Majesty"?

his lordship

my lord

0 Replies