Which one is more often used? East wind or easterly wind

fansy

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:17 am
Here I have south-easterly wind vs south-east wind, and easterly wind vs east wind. It seems that both can be used, but in what context?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,440 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:52 am
i think wind tends to be not quite as accurate as "east" or "north" would be describing.

wind can be described as coming from the west but it does tend to wander around in its direction thus we can say westerly meaning around the west, a bit to the south of west sometimes, a bit to the north of west sometimes but generally around the west.

i would always use south eastelry, north easterly or south westerly.
The only exception would be if the wind is quite strong and definitly blowing in the same direction all the time.

eg it was a strong north wind.

it would be just as acceptable to most english speakers to hear it was a strong northerly wind

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 06:16 am
easterly wind
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 02:18 pm
Landlubbers please note: in nautical terminology, the nouns northerly, easterly, southerly, westerly are names of winds, so in the phrase "an easterly wind", the word "wind" is redundant, unnecessary and incorrect.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 02:56 pm
@contrex,
Do we have to talk nautical?
contrex

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 03:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David wrote:
Do we have to talk nautical?

Many girls like it when I talk nautical to them. In that situation, I may show them the bosun's whistle.
JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:23 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
...I may show them the bosun's whistle, which they can view with the aid of the ship doctor's microscope.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 05:39 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Landlubbers please note: in nautical terminology, the nouns northerly, easterly, southerly, westerly are names of winds, so in the phrase "an easterly wind", the word "wind" is redundant, unnecessary and incorrect.

In the phrase "an easterly wind", easterly is an adjective describing the noun, 'wind', which is necessary, unredundant and unincorrect.
0 Replies