Websters 10th Collegiate Edition enters the list of banned books.

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
Quote:
"The dictionary will go back to the classroom but the parents will be given the option to determine if they want their kids to have access to that dictionary," said Betti Cadmus, a spokeswoman for the Menifee Union School District in southwest Riverside County. Students will take permission slips home and parents who don't want them to use Webster's 10th Collegiate Edition can opt for alternative dictionaries.

Merriam Webster's 10th Collegiate Edition was banned from Riverside County school in California because some fifth grader found a definition for the term "oral sex".

It's nice to see they came up with a workable compromise.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,388 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:34 pm
@ebrown p,
someone should send a copy to Bill Clinton...
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:44 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
It's nice to see they came up with a workable compromise.

considering the time that will now need to be wasted by school staff....not that good of a plan. Schools need to start limiting the negative influence that is allowed parents who want to surround their kids with ignorance. The parent s can always be told to shove off if they don't like the school, intradistrict transfers and private schools do exist.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 03:45 pm
@Rockhead,
his picture was part of the entry.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:47 pm
@ebrown p,
Hey, that's not fair! The online edition doesn't have it. I want my money back.

Oooppps, it does, but not thru a OneLook search.

Quote:
because some fifth grader found a definition for the term "oral sex".

I hope that that student will be suitably reprimanded, perhaps expelled for some time. If he/she showed it to any other students, I'm sure that we can find a prosecutor willing to press charges relating to, ... well ... they can probably think something up.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:18 am
The school should have simply refused to cooperate. Dictionaries cannot be expected to remove every reference to sex.
0 Replies