Video: Obama Fields Questions From GOP

kickycan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 12:37 pm
Who was it that asked that "talking points" question that Obama used as an example? The one where he went on and on with all these untrue statements about Obama's budget and then at the end asked, "So will your new budget triple the deficit like your old one did? Something like that anyway. Of course Obama discredited his total premise in about two short sentences, and then pointed out that the whole question was structured as a talking point for a campaign. I'd like to know who that guy is, because he is a perfect example of everything that's wrong with our government.

So, anyone know offhand who that douche was? Thanks in advance.
Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:21 pm
@Diest TKO,
I see the wounds alright -- it's the resurrection I'm doubting.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:36 pm
@kickycan,
Kicky...I have it as being Tom Price of Georgia.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 01:38 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
I see the wounds alright -- it's the resurrection I'm doubting.

Would you both cut it out with the Jesus references! Obama ain't walking on water... but he hasn't been crucified either.

Thomas

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:13 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Obama ain't walking on water... but he hasn't been crucified either.

Now look who's not cutting it out with the Jesus references! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:19 pm
@kickycan,
Jeb Hensarling from Texas, I think.
JPB

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 02:27 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, Obama called him "Jim" throughout, but it's Jeb.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 31 Jan, 2010 11:03 pm
Ah, yeah, this guy. What a dick.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/2346/jebhensarling.jpg
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2010 11:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
Good video. I love hearing Obama speak and I SO SO SO much want to believe what he says. He speaks of such good ideas; his follow-through could use some help though.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 12:48 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
I love hearing Obama speak and I SO SO SO much want to believe what he says. He speaks of such good ideas; his follow-through could use some help though.

someone agrees with you
Quote:
The thing is the president needs some results. I see him caught in a kind of halfway house. His gut tells him the world has changed and demands new policies but Washington politics keep him stuck in the conventional. His first year on the world stage has offered innovative speeches but largely unoriginal policy.

I suspect he’s not yet confident enough to have the courage of his convictions. Or perhaps he just needs more grown-ups in the White House. The transition from a very successful campaign to power is still a work in progress. If I get another mass e-mailing from the White House about what Obama’s “movement” needs next, the response will be ugly. That’s not how you govern.

The issue is change. Obama has spoken of “a new foundation.” It’s needed within and without, where the vital centers of growth have shifted to China, India, Brazil. But change is not about speeches. It’s about conviction and courage. I don’t see it happening for the moment " not with respect to Beijing, or Tehran, or Jerusalem, or Havana, or ... Well, the list could go on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/02/opinion/02iht-edcohen.html
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 04:12 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Good video. I love hearing Obama speak and I SO SO SO much want to believe what he says. He speaks of such good ideas; his follow-through could use some help though.

I have to admire the bi-partisan stuff, but at other times, I feel like he needs to be more forceful.

T
K
O
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:11 am
@kickycan,
Good to see the transparency on discussions between the President and the GOP. Shines a light for the voters on the inner workings of the party as well as on the willingness or unwillingness of the President and opposing party members to truly be bipartisan. Case in point, Price from GA.

Now would it be too much to ask that the President and the Dems be equally transparent? Take anyone of the current hot-button issues being debated in Congress right now. It sure would be refreshing to see these debates on CSPAN and be able to identify who the reasonable Dems are as well as the unbending nut-cases in the Dem party.

Of course, this will never happen. Transparency to Obama and the Dems is required only of the GOP.
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 09:36 am
@slkshock7,
What format do you propose? Obama to have this kind of press conference with the Dems and field questions?

If he did, plenty of conservatives including you would be going on about how it's all just a stage act or political theater. I hardly believe you would take such a meeting at face value.

T
K
O
slkshock7

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:28 am
@Diest TKO,
I would only accuse it of being a stage act if the Dem leadership muzzled their more controversial members and instead made the conference into some kind of Democratic show of solidarity that everyone knows just doesn't exist.

But I'd take it at face value if the debate were unscripted, where the President was pressed by tough questions and different (both moderate and nutcase) Dem positions were aired publicly.

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:35 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

I would only accuse it of being a stage act if the Dem leadership muzzled their more controversial members and instead made the conference into some kind of Democratic show of solidarity that everyone knows just doesn't exist.

But I'd take it at face value if the debate were unscripted, where the President was pressed by tough questions and different (both moderate and nutcase) Dem positions were aired publicly.

This is my point. If the meeting didn't play out like you think it would, you'd be accusing the dems of muzzling. You'd probably not be satisfied that any of the questions were tough enough.

I'm sorry, I just don't think you've made a real request here. Let us speak plainly. Your request doesn't make sense. Obama may have some conflicts with the Dems, but his opposition is the GOP. It makes sense to meet with your opposition in this manner. It's just a waste of time to schedule the president to meet in the same way. I mean, in your mind, what is the conflict he'd be addressing in his ideology and what you imagine some Dem would shout out? How does this play out in your imagination?

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 10:50 am
@Diest TKO,
What would be better would be to have Boehner and McConnell in front of the Dem caucus, forced to defend their ideas in the same way Obama was.

Cycloptichorn
slkshock7

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:23 am
@Diest TKO,
TKO,
My point is that, at least on the heath care issue, Obama promised to "have the negotiations televised on C-SPAN, so that people can see who is making arguments on behalf of their constituents, and who are making arguments on behalf of the drug companies or the insurance companies."

It is disingenuous to believe that the motives of the Repubs must be public knowledge while the motives of Dems can be hidden behind closed party doors.

However I cynically must agree that this will never happen because the President and Dems have nothing to gain by leveling the playing field.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:25 am
@Cycloptichorn,
And Reid and Pelosi could do the same. At a minimum, it would require each side to read and understand their own legislation...isn't that a novel idea?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:30 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

And Reid and Pelosi could do the same. At a minimum, it would require each side to read and understand their own legislation...isn't that a novel idea?

It would be nice, for sure.

I think that it would do away with the idea of 'bipartisanship' really quickly. Republicans have been falling over themselves calling for the Dems to work on more bipartisan solutions to problems, but when asked the question: 'what would you compromise, if the Dems would compromise on some of your points (which they clearly did on the health care bill)?'

The answer has been a solid one: nothing. The Republicans have indicted no willingness to compromise on anything and when asked they cannot name a single thing that they are even willing to discuss compromising on.

Here's Pence, being asked what he would be willing to compromise on re: health care reform:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYhBBlHRoag&feature=player_embedded

The quick answer he gave:

Quote:
“Well, look, you know, I was, uh, yeah, yeah, look, uh”

Which he then follows up with a boilerplate Conservative proposal, not a compromise at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2010 11:52 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

But Obama already did meet the GOP. I think you just saw the GOP get put in their place by Obama, and you're disappointed because you thought he'd get embarrassed. In light of seeing the GOP fail to stump Obama when he's totally outnumbered, you're trying to construct any situation in your imagination to make this less significant.

T
K
O