Am I ok or is he trying to make me think that I'm not?

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:29 pm
My husband abused me many times physically and I finally made the decision to leave him a few months ago,while he was away at work so he wouldn't fight me. I currently have a restraining order against him. My son and I now live in a neighboring town safely. My ex (still my husband~legally) recently hears about me talking to other men and told me that I'm having an affair and I will be in trouble since we are still not divorced or 'legally separated'...Am I ok (not in trouble)? or is he just saying that to scare me? I have been living separately from my husband for safety for 3 months now and no longer wish to be with him let alone have relations with him. My son has never met the other guy I have been talking to and plan to keep it that way until everything is legally taken care of. Is it illegal for me to start seeking the love and attention of someone responsive and more respective of me??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,309 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:49 pm
@Happiness,
First, I am not a lawyer. You should get a lawyer... assuming you are in the US it is almost certain you can get legal advice for free. Hopefully you have people supporting you?

That being said-- Yes it is OK to be with another person. It is not illegal. In the US people don't get in legal trouble for who they are with even when they are married.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:50 pm
@Happiness,
'Course it's not illegal. Your soon to be ex is just trying to screw with your head.
0 Replies

AbbieMcKenley

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:58 pm
@Happiness,
Sounds like you made the right decision on getting out, well done.

As far as i know, having an affair is not illegal
However, that does depend on which country your in.
It is not illegal in most western countries nor in most countries of the European Union, including the UK, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, Finland or Sweden.
In the United States, laws vary from state to state. In those states where adultery is still on the statute book (although rarely prosecuted), penalties vary from life sentence (Michigan), to a fine of $10 (Maryland), to a Class I felony (Wisconsin)

In some East Asian countries, including Korea, and Taiwan, adultery continues to be a crime. In the Philippines, adultery is considered a crime. Adultery is not a crime in China, but is grounds for divorce.

In some places, such as Iran and Saudi Arabia,the method of punishment for adultery is stoning to death. (This rairly happens)

In Pakistan, it is also a crime and the maximum penalty is death... but that's not ever happened. People are imprisioned and such though.

In India, men can be arrested for adultury but not women.

(According to Wiki)

BUTTTT

If your simply talking to this man, and there is no sexual contact or what not, you're not having an affair. Most people call it friendship. Smile

Good luck.

A-M

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2010 05:07 am
@AbbieMcKenley,
PS (and sorry I was a little flip yesterday) -- your ex has been spending a lot of time trying to make you feel that everything you do and say is wrong.

It is an amazing personal step for you to question that. Congratulations and well done.
0 Replies