Kids, want to appear in a movie with Selena Gomez from the Disney Channel?

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:41 am
I did a stupid parent thing. One day, my daughter heard the above on the radio " I only heard a small part of it - you had to be one of the first 200 callers. “Mom call, call….” I said sorry I didn’t get the number " next time (figuring there would be no next time) I’ll call. “Promise, mom?” Half listening and to be honest to get her to be quiet " I said (you know what you should never say) " yeah, promise.

So it happened. The other day in the car. I promised, I had to call. So I let her dial, figuring the line would be busy or whatever. She gets through and gives the phone to me " so the two kids get an audition. I figure who cares " they really can’t act so we go in for an hour (the person on the phone promised it would only take an hour), they get turned down and we go on.

I get the email confirming with all the details " something doesn’t sit right. They did have a website to refer to called “Theorlando”. I check it out " it looks like they are charging you for some sort of convention and it doesn’t seem to be a Disney company. I want to find the company " which is called The, can’t do a search for The so I search the phone number. Damn, it is a bait and switch company. They claim you come in for a Disney audition, then they give you contract to sign for acting lessons for $3. I find class action suits against and more. Damn " another learning moment that hurts the kids.

They are supposed to call me on Friday to confirm " any suggestions of what I say to them?

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:44 am
@Linkat,
Present your kids with the results of your research. They'll probably be disappointed, but it's a lesson they need to learn, IMO.
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:46 am
@Linkat,
Aw phooey. That sucks.

Who is "them" at the end of your post? Your kids or the people who will be calling to confirm?
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:51 am
@sozobe,
Sorry - the "casting people". I had the learning moment in the car last night after basketball practice. Both kids were with me. I explained how they were not Disney and what I read about "The". I asked what they wanted to - I'd still bring them if they wanted to go, but of course would not pay one dime.

The younger was - oh I forgot about it (and she was the one crying when I called because she thought only her sister would get to audition). The older one was very angry.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:54 am
@DrewDad,
Yeah - but I hated giving them that sort of lesson.

Adults can really suck at what they do to kids. I even found a news video from NH - same thing.

I knew (if it was a true Disney thing) that they wouldn't have a chance - they are sweet little cuties, but not acting material. And I would not want my kids to be on TV any way - they are my sweeties and I want to keep them that way.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:58 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
They are supposed to call me on Friday to confirm " any suggestions of what I say to them?

Oops. I misunderstood the question.

I'd start asking them all kinds of detailed questions. How many kids got to audition last year? How many got parts? What exactly are the parts for which my kids will be auditioning? How many other children will be there? Do you have a contract with Disney? etc.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:01 am
@DrewDad,
I'd report the scam to Disney (whatever the corporation is called). Disney is famously protective of their name and image.
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:02 am
@Linkat,
Huh.

If they're calling you to confirm they have your name and contact info right?

I guess I'd just wait for when it is and then say "my kids are so disappointed but we can't do it that day... thanks for calling."

Then report 'em to the BBB.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:05 am
@ossobuco,
That's a good idea too.

It sounds like you (Linkat) have the info you need to report them. If you don't have all the info, get it when they call (while being inconspicuous -- maybe say that you have plans that day but might be able to change them, and you want to call them back).

I don't think you want to indicate that you know they're a scam when you're on the line with them if they have your name contact info. Probably fine but something to be avoided if possible IMO.

Also contact the radio station that broadcast the ad.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:06 am
@DrewDad,
Yes - I plan on giving them a hard time and load them up with questions.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:09 am
@ossobuco,
I thought so too - I found some other time of message board - related to acting and some one mentioned this - seems this scam has going on a long time. They even had an actual commercial on Nick stating similar stuff with shows on Nick. They have also changed the company name. BBB rated the company with an "F".

I wrote an email to the radio station that advertised with them and filed an advertising complaint with a special division of BBB - one that is protecting children over false advertising.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:13 am
@sozobe,
All they have is my phone and email address and our names. I think I will do as you suggest. Ask a few questions and that is it. If they end up bothering me at all afterwards, I can change my phone number or email address so no big deal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:15 am
And I left off the "k" at the end of $3. So they get you for $3k.
sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:34 am
@Linkat,
That's kind of a big difference! Very Happy

I figured it was more than $3 though.

Sounds like you're handling this really well, reporting-wise. Stupid scammy people. Grr.
Linkat

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 12:48 pm
@sozobe,
I haven't been able to find the appropriate contact for Disney to report this sort of thing.

On the positive side though I did find out Donald Duck's middle name and what Goofy actually is.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:29 pm
Damn - they called the home phone (I forgot I did give them that number - but said it was better to call on my cell). They left a message and my husband deleted it so I did not get the opportunity to drill them with questions.

On a positive note - I did another quick search for them on line earlier today by their phone number. There was this website that you can write about a particular phone number - directed more around telemarketers and stuff. Any way, there was mostly kids that wrote about this number - nothing substancial as whether they were a legit company or not. No poor girl said she was going to an audition this Saturday and didn't know whether to go or not as she wasn't sure whether this was a legit audition or not. I filled her in -hopefully she will see it and at the very least go with open eyes.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:30 pm
oh man.
I'm too busy to talk right now, but that kind of stuff really pisses me off.

I'll be back later to share an experience. One in which I was the observer.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:31 pm
@chai2,
Oh and guess what I tried to call the number right now - and I won again!
Green Witch

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:45 pm
@Linkat,
I would just tell them to put you on their "don't call list" and report them to your State Attorney General if they persist. Maybe report them no matter what.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 03:46 pm
@Green Witch,
They were supposed to call as a reminder to our casting call time - I expected them to call my cell phone and wanted to "question" them just to see if they would fess up at all.
0 Replies