German question (easiest question ever)

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:56 am
In Beethovens Fur Elise ( for example)

what are these marks called over the letter U "

I can't put them over the letter U because I don't know how

  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,920 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:08 am
They call that an "umlaut" in German. The French just call it "deux points" (two dots). I know how to do that with the French layout on the keyboard, but couldn't say how you'd get it with a German layout. If you right-click on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen (in Windows), the option at the top is "Toolbars." From there, you can set up other language layouts for your English-language "qwerty" keyboard.

Für Elise

I did that using the "French (Canada)" layout. I was just showing off.
0 Replies
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:18 am
Pretty good showing off, Setanta. Very Happy

Yes, it's called "umlaut"(vowel) and besides the ü, we also have an ä und an ö
When my daughter started learning German she especially liked the doted
"umlaute" as she was convinced that they're the happy version of the regular vowels.

Für Elise is one of my favorites, such a beautiful piece of music.

I have a Mac, so for me it's option+u+u, or option+u+o, and option+u+a
0 Replies
Joe Nation
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:00 am
In Windows hold down ALT while typing the appropriate number code on your numeric keypad to create characters with umlaut accent marks.
For Windows, the number codes for the upper case letters are:
Ä 0196
Ë 0203
Ï 0207
Ö 0214
Ü 0220
Ÿ 0159

For Windows, the number codes for the lower case letters are:
ä 0228
ë 0235

Ä Ë Ï etc.

Joe (This is fÜn !)Nation
0 Replies
Merry Andrew
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:27 am
Addendum: In English the word for those two little dots is diaresis or diarisis (not really sure of the spelling). It's one of the so-called diacritical marks, along with the tilde (~) and long marks and . . .
0 Replies
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:30 am
Thank you all for your help, very interesting stuff Very Happy
0 Replies
Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
Just as a post script Merry Andrew it is spelled diæresis

Bit like the way Aesop is, or would be if I could join the ae Mr. Green
0 Replies
Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2011 08:12 am
Yes, they are umlauts.

Whenever you are writing on the computer, and you don't know how to make an umlaut, all you have to do is put an "e" after the vowel you wanted to umlaut.

For instance, if you don't know how to make an " ä " (by holding alt and typing 132), all you need to do is write "ae". Instead of writing Äpfel, you can write Aepfel. This is perfectly acceptible German.

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:33 am
The Turks use the letter ü a lot.
Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:40 pm
Pops up in Spanish once in a while, too.
0 Replies
Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 05:33 am
In German if you're unable to type in an umlaut, then it's acceptable to write "feur" instead of "für" to show the pronunciation/the fact that there's an umlaut because sometimes it could change the meaning.
Bruder = Brother
Brüder = Brothers.
In this case if one was unable to write ü, but wanted to indicate that there was more than one brother, then you'd write "Brueder."
0 Replies
Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2011 07:21 am
[en] umlauts = [german] Umlaute

On a mac:

alt/option + u/U + letter

e.g. alt + u + u = ü
0 Replies

Related Topics

deutsch anyone?? - Discussion by tell me why
Languages and Thought - Discussion by rosborne979
How many languages do you know ? - Discussion by mikinsmith
english to latin phrase translation - Discussion by chelsea84
What other languages would you use a2k in? - Discussion by Craven de Kere
Translation of names into Hebrew - Discussion by Sandra Karl
  1. Forums
  2. » German question (easiest question ever)
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 01/17/2022 at 12:41:32