train with = ?

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:29 am
doctors I trained with, doctors who trained me, and my own physician
=
doctors with who I was trained, doctors who trained me, and the physician who was under my leadership?

Context:
I find one score for me on Vitals.com " a pathetic 2.5 out of 5 " but I don't see any comments and can't figure out whether this is an aggregate score. It looks as if I have to pay for further information, so I scan the results for my colleagues. Most are not rated, some got 1 out of 5, and one got 4 out of 5. I exit the site, deciding its offerings are not meaningful. A few more minutes of surfing reveals that my Internet reputation is intact. I am relieved.

An unforeseen positive consequence of this anxiety-provoking process, however, is that I stumble upon stories that patients are telling about their doctors. Some older sites have collected thousands of such stories. I search the ratings by state and see that 1813 physicians in Wisconsin have been rated. I see familiar names " doctors I trained with, doctors who trained me, and my own physician
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 606 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:44 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
doctors with whom I was trained, doctors who trained me, and the physician who was under my leadership?

Use whom for the objective, not who.

Yes, the doctors with whom one trained, and the doctors who trained one--but the last doctor referred to is the physician who provides medical treatement for the writer.

The doctors i trained with, the doctors who trained me, and the doctor who provides my medical care.
oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:03 am
@Setanta,
I did use "whom", and je ne sais quoi has stolen "m" away.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:08 am
The "m" was undoubtedly stolen by evil hamsters who have slipped in without Craven's knowledge.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 12:32 pm
Doctors I trained with, doctors who trained me, and my own physician
=
Doctors with whom I was trained, doctors who trained me, and the physician whose patient I am.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:16 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Use whom for the objective, not who.

Setanta is mistaken. That's not how modern English works. It doesn't matter if it's the object form or the subject form, it's perfectly grammatical and common to use who.

However, when the preposition is fronted, whom is used.

1. The doctors who I was trained with.

2. The doctors with whom I was trained.

Of course, it's also possible to use whom in sentence 1.

0 Replies