Far from being antagonistic or depressing

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:11 am

Far from being antagonistic or depressing, the stories renew my commitment to healing and reinforce my belief in the power of caring
=
The stories are far from being antagonistic against me or are depressing me,
rather, the stories renew my commitment to healing and reinforce my belief in the power of caring ?

Context:

Medical training rarely affords such an opportunity. We learn about what makes a good doctor from textbooks and medical journals, receive ethics and professionalism training, and find role-model physicians to emulate, but nearly all of this is education from a doctor's perspective. We seldom get to hear what patients want or value because in the real world disappointed patients rarely tell doctors to their face what they think of them. Mostly it's the dynamic of the relationship that makes these disclosures difficult. When people are sick, scared, and in pain, they are in an exquisitely vulnerable position. Their treating physician holds most of the power in the relationship " both the requisite medical knowledge and the ability to determine the patient's outcome. Under such circumstances, most patients are not primarily focused on telling their doctor how they rate him or her " nor is doing so necessarily advisable.

Reading the sites reassures me that what patients want from their physicians is not all that different from what good physicians want to offer their patients. Patients are generally not unreasonable, high-maintenance consumers; they simply want doctors who care, will listen, and know what they're doing. Far from being antagonistic or depressing, the stories renew my commitment to healing and reinforce my belief in the power of caring.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 548 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:24 am
The author is not necessarily taking this in an implicitly personal way. He or she is saying that the stories are not necessarily antagonistic toward doctors in general, and are not necessarily depressing for doctors to read.
oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:30 am
@Setanta,
Thank you Set.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:51 am
You're welcome, Boss--it's always a pleasure to see you.
0 Replies