USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:37 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

I had not heard of these ships prior to today.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,192 • Replies: 9
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
The stealth boat. It's been in the building plans for at least a decade or so.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Is it me or is that the quietest Youtube video ever created?! The guy couldn't afford any narration? Some context and functionality of the boats design?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:50 pm
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Littoral Combat Ship)
Jump to: navigation, search

The Trimaran USS Independence (LCS-2)Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) are relatively small surface vessels intended for operations in the littoral zone (close to shore). It is "envisioned to be a networked, agile, stealthy surface combatant capable of defeating anti-access and asymmetric threats in the littorals."[1] Two ship classes are the first examples of the LCS in the U.S. Navy: the Freedom-class and the Independence-class. LCS designs are slightly smaller than the Navy's guided missile frigates, and have been compared to the corvette of international usage. However, the LCS designs add the capabilities of a small assault transport with a flight deck and hangar large enough to base two SH-60 Seahawk helicopters, the capability to recover and launch small boats from a stern ramp, and enough cargo volume and payload to deliver a small assault force with armoured fighting vehicles to a roll-on/roll-off port facility. The standard armament for the LCS are Mk 110 57 mm guns, while modules containing Non-Line-of-Sight Launch Systems are available. It will also be able to launch autonomous air, surface, and underwater vehicles.[2] Although the LCS designs offer less air defense and surface-to-surface capabilities than comparable destroyers, the LCS concept emphasizes speed, flexible mission module space and a shallow draft.
husker

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
yup it is way cool and pretty spendy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Cool! Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:54 pm
this guy is my favorite
[url]Sea Shadow (IX-529)[/url]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/US_Navy_Sea_Shadow_stealth_craft.jpg/800px-US_Navy_Sea_Shadow_stealth_craft.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 01:59 pm
@husker,
Have you actually seen one up close Husker?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@husker,
husker wrote:

this guy is my favorite
Sea Shadow (IX-529)

You could have got it donated
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2010 02:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
not see it but wish i had