Supreme Court Provides For Corporate Takeover of Nation

roger

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:06 pm
@Thomas,
How do you feel if the campaign spending is by a corporation in which the US government is a major stockholder?
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 07:55 pm
@roger,
I don't like it. Same as if the government itself does the spending, or as if the government-owned LLC does the campaign pending.
BigTexN

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 08:57 pm
Corporations will need unlimited spending to offset all the free, biased MSM press coverage (i.e Time, Newsweek, LA Times, MY Times, Boston Globe, MSNBC, CNN, et al) that liberals and their ilk have recieved over the years.

It's about time the playing field leveled!

It doesn't surprise me the prez is upset with the ruling...the liberal monopoly is threatened!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 09:01 pm
@BigTexN,
BigTexN wrote:
Corporations will need unlimited spending to offset all the free,
biased MSM press coverage (i.e Time, Newsweek, LA Times, MY Times,
Boston Globe, MSNBC, CNN, et al) that liberals and their ilk
have recieved over the years.

It's about time the playing field leveled!

It doesn't surprise me the prez is upset with the ruling...the liberal monopoly is threatened!
SO STIPULATED.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 10:06 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I don't like it. Same as if the government itself does the spending, or as if the government-owned LLC does the campaign pending.

What about corporations owned by foreign governments?

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 10:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The most common ones are commonly referred to as the Catholic Church. Being an atheist, of course I don't take kindly to them -- or to the Vatican government they report to. But I think the 1st Amendment, which guarantees freedom of religion, should override all but the most homeopathic government attempts to regulate them.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 10:18 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The most common ones are commonly referred to as the Catholic Church. Being an atheist, of course I don't take kindly to them -- or to the Vatican government they report to. But I think the 1st Amendment, which guarantees freedom of religion, should override all but the most homeopathic government attempts to regulate it.

How can you believe that it's wrong for the US government to lobby for itself at election time, but it's right for foreign governments to do so? Contradictory.

I referred not to the Catholic church at all, but the many companies owned in part by the Chinese government, or the Saudi Arabian, et cetera.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 10:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How can you believe that it's wrong for the US government to lobby for itself at election time, but it's right for foreign governments to do so?

Oh, come on, have a little humor.

As I stated several pages before, when I mentioned the case of Rupert Murdoch, I have no fundamental problem with distinctions based on nationality. But I wouldn't distinguish between foreign governments, foreign corporations, and foreign individuals.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 10:33 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
How can you believe that it's wrong for the US government to lobby for itself at election time, but it's right for foreign governments to do so?

Oh, come on, have a little humor.

As I stated several pages before, when I mentioned the case of Rupert Murdoch, I have no fundamental problem with distinctions based on nationality. But I wouldn't distinguish between foreign governments, foreign corporations, and foreign individuals.

I don't think this is a valid argument really. The US as a nation deserves some sovereignty, surely; we've always been pretty persnickety about foreign interference in our affairs as I'm sure you know. Having one's elections ran by and participated in by members of one's group (and not outsiders) is a concept understood pretty much the world over; or is there some other nation who sets the example on this?

Come to think of it, that may actually lead to a 'fix' being made towards them - the Republicans as well tend to freak out about this stuff. I still doubt it tho.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Having one's elections ran by and participated in by members of one's group (and not outsiders) is a concept understood pretty much the world over; or is there some other nation who sets the example on this?

1) No matter how often you repeat a claim, speaking up and publishing it is fundamentally different from running an election.

2) I don't see why foreign nationals, including governments, shouldn't at least in principle have the right to speak up. For example, suppose you're an Iraqi living in Baghdad. It's October 2004. America's military occupation is turning sour. Your life is in permanent danger because the US are screwing up security all over your place. Why shouldn't you have a right to go on American TV and say the following? "Dear Americans! Your current guy in the White House is literally killing us over here. You would help us a lot if you didn't reelect him. Please don't!" Since you'd obviously have a stake in the matter, why should the US government deny you the opportunity to make your voice heard?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:24 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Having one's elections ran by and participated in by members of one's group (and not outsiders) is a concept understood pretty much the world over; or is there some other nation who sets the example on this?

1) No matter how often you repeat a claim, speaking up and publishing it is fundamentally different from running an election.

Why is that so? We know that ads, especially negative ads, sway opinions about candidates. There's a lot of data and studies on this, which I suspect you know.

When the amount of money that can be spent is risen to such extreme levels, who can say what the effect will be? Who will know whose money is funding what and for what reasons? Until I see the 'fix' that will do this in action, I won't believe it.

I'll tell you one thing - I used to believe that the Dems weren't as beholden to Corporations already than the Republicans. And maybe that's even a little true still. But not much. I don't trust them to pass anything that will actually work.

Quote:
2) I don't see why foreign nationals, including governments, shouldn't at least in principle have the right to speak up. For example, suppose you're an Iraqi living in Baghdad. It's October 2004. America's military occupation is turning sour. Your life is in permanent danger because the US are screwing up security all over your place. Why shouldn't you have a right to go on American TV and say the following? "Dear Americans! Your current guy in the White House is literally killing us over here. You would help us a lot if you didn't reelect him. Please don't!" Since you'd obviously have a stake in the matter, why should the US government deny you the opportunity to make your voice heard?

Are you asking why there's a vested interest in preventing foreign sources from using their funds to influence the way we run our country?

Groups often have differing and conflicting ideas about what is right and wrong, and what the best path to take in life would be. I do not feel there is sufficient reason to believe that all actors on such a stage as you propose would be acting in good faith. What you describe is what would rightly be called a security risk for our country.

Perhaps if we had a more unified world government, or a UN that we actually respected and lead, what you describe would be more the case.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Are you asking why there's a vested interest in preventing foreign sources from using their funds to influence the way we run our country?

What I'm saying is you're not just running your own country. You're running other people's countries too. And these people should have a right to speak up about it -- in American media.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:43 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

What I'm saying is you're not just running your own country. You're running other people's countries too. And these people should have a right to speak up about it -- in American media.

I think our topic has sort of moved away from the lens of American elections. The world has always had large countries who drove events and world opinion at various time. We are the flavor of the week. None of them have ever cared too much what the other countries thought about how they did things. The behavior that you describe is antithetical to the idea of a country which is on top, staying on top.

So even though I agree with you in some ways, I don't believe that such a thing ever would or could occur in America as we know it. As I said above: if we had steps towards more unified world governance, maybe. But that's not gonna happen in our lives (unless things go according to my live-forever plan, that is).

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 12:46 am
Quote:

Well, Rahm Emanuel did say he thinks the First Amendment is highly overrated.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 04:50 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

Quote:

Well, Rahm Emanuel did say he thinks the First Amendment is highly overrated.
Yes. To that, we may add this,
in support of your point:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

EDITORIAL:
Obama appointee: Freedom is exaggerated

The FCC's chief diversity officer attacks the Constitution

By THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Yesterday's huge Supreme Court victory for free-speech rights
in the case of Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission serves
as a warning to the Obama administration on other speech-related issues.
Several Obama appointees have denigrated the importance
of the First Amendment, and one presidential appointee, Mark Lloyd,
holds views fundamentally at odds with the Supreme Court
and America's whole tradition of protecting free speech.

Mr. Lloyd was President Obama's choice to fill a newly created
position at the Federal Communications Commission called the
"chief diversity officer." When a government agency starts to define
what sorts of speech do and don't qualify as "diversity," it's time
to worry about your freedom - especially when Mr. Lloyd is in charge.

Conservative groups have been sounding the alarm about Mr. Lloyd
for several months, and rightly so. Consider Mr. Lloyd's 2006 book,
"Prologue to a Farce: Communication and Democracy in America,"
in which he calls for a "confrontational movement" against private media.
"It should be clear by now that my focus here is not freedom of speech
or the press,"
he admits. "This freedom is all too often an exaggeration.
At the very least, blind references to freedom of speech or the press
serve as a distraction from the critical examination of other communications policies."

As reported by the Media Research Center, Mr. Lloyd in 2005 said,
"We have really, truly good white people in important positions.
And the fact of the matter is that there are a limited number of
those positions. And unless we are conscious of the need to have
more people of color, gays, other people in those positions, we will
not change the problem. We're in a position where you have to say
who is going to step down so someone else can have power."

Does Mr. Obama agree with Mr. Lloyd that white broadcasters should
be forced by government to "step down so someone else can have power"?
Mr. Lloyd, like the president, is an open disciple of radical community
organizer Saul Alinsky. While writing that the "true opposition" is
"the [private] broadcasters," Mr. Lloyd repeatedly cited Alinsky while
advocating hugely punitive fees on private broadcasters in order
to finance expanded government-sponsored broadcasting

Yesterday's Supreme Court ruling stands as a rebuke to Mr. Lloyd's dangerous creed.
There's nothing exaggerated about the importance of the First Amendment.
[Bolding added by David]
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 08:33 am
I don't think we are going to see corporations spending greater amounts on airtime after this decision. Prior to this, corporations couldn't advocate for a particular candidate. They could say "Call Senator Furttleturd and tell him we need more coal fired plants, not less."
But they couldn't say "Vote McCarthy. He's for Smoke."
Now they can.
I don't think they will though, you can imagine the polling being done: "Would you be more or less likely to vote for a candidate if you knew he was backed by the ten largest corporations in the world?"
"Does it give more or less confidence in a candidate if you know he's backed by your phone company?"

Nah.
There will be a lot, a lot, of wacko groups out there now with advocacy ads. Candidates are going to spend an inordinate amount of time disavowing themselves from some of the language their own supporters use and even more time defending themselves from the spurious, false and defaming language of their opponent's advocates, but the corporations know how to get their agenda into legislation ---they lobby. It takes a lot less money to lobby a Senator than to fill the airwaves.

Joe(Besides...TV? Who watches commercials on TV?)Nation
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:29 am
@Joe Nation,
That makes sense to me.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 09:32 am

It strikes me as odd
that the despondent liberals act like the world is ending,
when we are only going back to how it was before 2002.

I don 't believe that thay 'd have carried on like this
if the MF bill had been defeated in Congress.

We got along fine for over 200 years without the MF law.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 10:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

It strikes me as odd

Imagine if instead of ruling Heller in the way you wanted, the courts had chosen the other side, David. You would feel good about this?

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2010 11:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

It strikes me as odd

Imagine if instead of ruling Heller in the way you wanted, the courts had chosen the other side, David.
You would feel good about this?

Cycloptichorn
No, but the vast history of the Constitution
and 100% of the surviving writings of the Founders
who WROTE it every one of them, without any exception whatsoever,
support the decision the way it was rendered.

U r arguing that right and rong have equal value, Cyclo.
Thay DON 'T. If one guy says 3 + 4 = 7
and someone else says 3 + 4 = 9
thay are not of equal value in their respective opinions.

When we were demanding a pure interpretation
of the 2A we were NOT cheating.

We were only demanding our own known historical, political heritage.

There is NOTHING in the Constitution that requires the MF law
and the First Amendment prohibits it and disables Congress from doing it,
but thay did it anyway, like the tellers at the bank
all plundering the vault.

Remember, Cyclo: if thay coud rape the First Amendment,
then NOTHING in the Constitution is safe
and government can run wild with unlimited jurisdiction like Saddam, Stalin n Hitler.