Supreme Court Provides For Corporate Takeover of Nation

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:10 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
they did so in order to advance the Conservative and Republican cause in this country, because those are the allies of Big Business and enemies of all regulation in general.

Says you.

Says reality, c'mon man. Don't buy into what is such transparent bullshit.

Quote:
The Supreme Court says they did it for different reasons: A plaintiff had appealed to them with the claim that the FEC had violated their First Amendment rights. The FEC had defended its restrictions as constitutional. Therefore the Supreme Court had to decide the conflict. I have no evidence to suggest they're lying.

Rolling Eyes Exactly who admits that they decide things for reasons that they specifically promised not to when they took the job? C'mon, Thomas.

There is no meaningful response I can give to someone who refuses to look at the real world that we live in. This case is bigger than just the legal language involved. We have entered into a situation in which it will be practically impossible to reverse the course of events, and it's extremely troubling that this is the case - and that people don't give a ****.

Cycloptichorn
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You have supplied no evidence for this assertion. If everything short of agreement with your views defaults to "transparent", I'm afraid we've reached an impasse in our discussion.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
We have entered into a situation in which it will be practically impossible to reverse the course of events, and it's extremely troubling that this is the case - and that people don't give a ****.

Ditto. I have considered your opinion and disagree with it. If that constitutes "not giving a ****" to you, suit yourself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:17 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

You have supplied no evidence for this assertion. If everything short of agreement with your views defaults to "transparent", I'm afraid we've reached an impasse in our discussion.

Whatever. Most would agree that members of the SC are not as impartial as they should be and where there is smoke, there is fire.

But, let us forget that. Do you truly not see the situation which has been created by this ruling, and the dangers that arise from it?

You state,

Quote:
Ditto. I have considered your opinion and disagree with it. If that constitutes "not giving a ****" to you, so be it.

Disagreed with it? You have not addressed it at all. You haven't talked about the real-world effects this unrestricted Corporate spending will have in elections at all. As far as I can tell, you have avoided discussing this in any of your responses to me.

I have been having various flavors of this discussion with several such as yourself who support the ruling; to date, none have been able to adequately address the effects that the ruling will have on the electoral process. The more honest among them admit that they WANT the rich to run the country. The rest pretend they don't understand the question.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@Advocate,
Well, you ignorant, hysterical son of a foul, poxed bitch . . . if you say i am a liar, it should be a simple matter to quote the post in which i have lied.

I didn't say that you had said that i called anyone a name. I just pointed out how quickly you descended to that elementary school tactic.

I have yet to see any plausible reason to believe your hysterical claim that this decision by the Court will lead to a corporate takeover. As i have pointed out, it just returns us to the status quo ante of seven years ago.

I can see why you would rather call names some more, and attempt to erect straw men, rather than to attempt to defend an indefensible position.
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Do you truly not see the situation which has been created by this ruling, and the dangers that arise from it?

I do see the situation, and think Congress can realistically fix it with a new classification before the next elections. This classification could be money-toting, or some other criterion that actually matters to the problem at hand. Also, the classification will be independent of the organizations' legal form. I consider that a good thing.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Disagreed with it? You have not addressed it at all. You haven't talked about the real-world effects this unrestricted Corporate spending will have in elections at all.

Because, for the n-th time, I agree with you about the real-world effects. What more do you want me to say? They're just not effects of the spending being corporate. They're effects of all spending on politics, regardless of the spender's legal form.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:33 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

I do see the situation, and think Congress has can realistically fix it before the next elections with a new classification. This classification could be money-toting, or some other criterion that actually matters. Also, the classification will be independent of the organizations' legal form. I consider that a good thing.

Alright, now we're getting somewhere!

I think what you describe is 100% fantasy. Truly. How exactly, with the fact that we are already only a few months away from the 2010 elections, do you expect this legislation to pass the Senate - or even the House? Any Corporation (big business) who wishes to fight it can bury those who support it. They can spend millions supporting those who oppose it. In the face of this, the likelihood of this fix passing is close to zero.

And it will only get worse over time. As Yglesias put it in a piece I quoted the other day, Corps are only going to have to take a couple of scalps before the rest are too afraid to stand up to them. Money and the power of advertising have long been a corrupting influence in our political system, and thanks to the USSC ruling, that influence is now tremendously larger than it was before.

Do you honestly believe that a 'fix' can be passed before the next election? Or is this just some sort of blue-skying on what should be done?

TV advertising works. Negative ads work. Persistent money spent on this by Corporations to buy politicians who will support their interest will work as well. There will be little to no Populist backlash against this, because a large percentage of our country believes the rich SHOULD control things (modern Republicans, who see themselves as either rich or headed that way, no matter what the reality of their situation is).

Cycloptichorn
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:34 pm
@Setanta,
http://www.msgr.ca/msgr-2/fowl%20chicken%20little.jpg

The Sky is Falling, the Sky is Falling
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
NO question exists.
"Congress shall make NO LAW . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press . . . "
means that the MF law was a naked USURPATION of power and void.
Some things such as freedom of speech and the right to bear arms
were put beyond the jurisdictional reach of government by the Founders of that government.

Cyclo, u simply want to overthrow the Constitution to better suit your outlook on life in America.

David
Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Do you honestly believe that a 'fix' can be passed before the next election? Or is this just some sort of blue-skying on what should be done?

Wanna bet? Dinner at the Italian place in Berkeley, whenever my first trip to Berkeley happens after November 2010?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No law is universal or unable to be regulated. Even the 1st and 2nd amendments are regulated, David.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:37 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Wanna bet? Dinner at the Italian place in Berkeley, whenever my first trip to Berkeley happens after November 2010?

Define 'fix' and what it does, and you're on!

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:44 pm
I am amazed that people continue to speak of this as though it were innovation. It's not. It simply returns the situation to the way it was before McCain-Feingold.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:45 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I am amazed that people continue to speak of this as though it were innovation. It's not. It simply returns the situation to the way it was before McCain-Feingold.

Well, it was a problematic situation then and we've returned to it; surely that's not reason to rejoice?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The restrictions on electioneering by General Motors would be similarly stringent as they were under the old law. But the distinction would draw on something like General Motors' spending power not on its being a corporation. We'll have to rely on "we'll know it when we see it" for definitions of "similarly stringent" and "something like [...] spending power".
Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
Certainly not, and in this and the other thread i have described the decision as unfortunate. While it is not a cause for rejoicing, neither is it a cause for despair. We are simply back at square one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

The restrictions on electioneering by General Motors would be similarly stringent as they were under the old law. But the distinction would draw on something like General Motors' spending power not on its being a corporation. We'll have to rely on "we'll know it when we see it" for definitions of "similarly stringent" and "something like [...] spending power".

Works for me, you're on!

Quote:
Certainly not, and in this and the other thread i have described the decision as unfortunate. While it is not a cause for rejoicing, neither is it a cause for despair. We are simply back at square one.

Depressing as that is. I think it's actually square -1; if anything, Corporations have more money and bigger budgets for this stuff then back then.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I win if two conditions are met:

• The restrictions on electioneering by General Motors are similarly stringent as they were under the old law.
  • The distinction draws on something like General Motors' spending power not on its being a corporation.

We'll have to rely on "we'll know it when we see it" for definitions of "similarly stringent" and "something like [...] spending power".
Irishk

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:49 pm
The president isn't thrilled with it, either.

"With its ruling today, the Supreme Court has given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics. It is a major victory for big oil, Wall Street banks, health insurance companies and the other powerful interests that marshal their power every day in Washington to drown out the voices of everyday Americans. This ruling gives the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington--while undermining the influence of average Americans who make small contributions to support their preferred candidates. That's why I am instructing my Administration to get to work immediately with Congress on this issue. We are going to talk with bipartisan Congressional leaders to develop a forceful response to this decision. The public interest requires nothing less."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:50 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

The president isn't thrilled with it, either.

"With its ruling today, the Supreme Court has given a green light to a new stampede of special interest money in our politics. It is a major victory for big oil, Wall Street banks, health insurance companies and the other powerful interests that marshal their power every day in Washington to drown out the voices of everyday Americans. This ruling gives the special interests and their lobbyists even more power in Washington--while undermining the influence of average Americans who make small contributions to support their preferred candidates. That's why I am instructing my Administration to get to work immediately with Congress on this issue. We are going to talk with bipartisan Congressional leaders to develop a forceful response to this decision. The public interest requires nothing less."

Yeah, I wonder who the 'bipartisan' leaders will be?

The first Republican who speaks out against this will be pilloried by the rest and the 'tea parties' will have a field day with this. A little naive on Obama's part, but he hasn't seem to caught on that one of our parties would rather see the entire country burn down, than have the other party have any success at all.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Naive... perhaps. Duplicitous, beyond doubt.

Labor Unions are usually incorporated as well. However legal and illegal UNion contributions in cash and in kind are the mother's milk of Democrat politics. Anyone like to take bets on the likelihood that the Dems will exempt unions and other (favorable to them) nonprofit corporations from any new restrictive legislation ?
0 Replies