Best and Worst Accents on Film and Television?

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 09:14 pm
Which actors and actresses in film and television can pull off the best accents (accents not from their native country or ethnicity) in their performances in film or television? Which actors and actresses should be out and out ashamed of their horrible excuse for a regional or country accent in their respective performances in film or television?

BAD BOSTON ACCENTS:
Quote:
30 Rock Recap: Julianne Moore, Welcome to the Bad Boston Accent Hall of Fame!

Read more: 30 Rock Recap: Julianne Moore, Welcome to the Bad Boston Accent Hall of Fame! -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/julianne_moore_could_use_a_dia.html?mid=agenda--20100122#ixzz0dOvRmG1z

dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 10:55 pm
All or any American actors trying to do aussie accents should be banned and struck off the actors equity books.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:12 pm
@dadpad,
Or repeatedly struck with lightning until they beg not to do the Australia accent again?
dadpad

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBYnL5fAXE&feature=PlayList&p=BCE39FB34332FB05&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 11:36 pm
Nicholas Cage has a bizarre excuse for a Texas accent in Con Air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW3aCuxY1DY
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 01:26 am
Meryl Streep as Lindy Chamberlain. I don't know if the famous "A dingo took my baby" quote is in this clip, because I honestly can't bring myself to look. Meryl's Oz accent makes my hair stand on end! Laughing

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:09 am
Toni Collette's US accent is pretty convincing (to me, anyway! US folk might disagree.) in her different personalities in The United States Of Tara. Interestingly, this clip includes extracts of an interview with her speaking in her "real" (Oz) accent. :

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:13 am
@msolga,
It was AWFUL.

Mind you...the real Lindy's accent was awful, too...she had that really nails down a blackboard outback Queensland sound.

But it was awful in a different way!
msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:15 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

Mind you...the real Lindy's accent was awful, too...she had that really nails down a blackboard outback Queensland sound.

You have a point there! Wink
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 02:28 am
Dick Van Dyke as Bert in Mary Poppins.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 10:10 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Meryl Streep as Lindy Chamberlain.

Further adventures of Meryl Streep's Aussie accent...
0 Replies

briantw

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:12 pm
The famous Lindy Chamberlain quote is "the dingo's got my baby," which, if it's such a famous quote, people would get correct. The quote is in neither of those clips, by the way.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2010 06:20 pm
@briantw,
Thanks for telling us the obvious that the famous line is not in the clips. Razz
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 08:46 am
All American actors who seem to think that all Brits sound like the queen (no offence to the rock group intended)

Brits who try and do an American accent sound ridiculous, Hugh Laurie is about the best I've heard and he isn't that good

I often wonder how casting directors get it so wrong, it never did any harm to Sean Connery's career to have a scots accent or for that matter Jane Leeves in Frasier who adopts a Mancunian accent which she doesn't have in in real life.

Beam me up Scottie back home to Canada
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:39 am
@lovejoy,
Maybe I'm not the best person to judge this rampant problem in the realm of acting but I don't seem to notice any problem's with Hugh Laurie's faux American accent.

Though, I only seen snippets of Blood Diamond, I find Leo DiCaprio's mongrel European-African accent to be too bizarre to be based in reality.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:48 am
I think, generally speaking, that the Brits do a better job imitating an American accent than Americans do with the British accent. Except maybe Gwyneth, but then she lives mostly in London, no? Same with Australians.

I had trouble buying Brad Pitt's southern accent in Inglourious Basterds. It was probably ok, but I found it a little distracting.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 09:57 am
@Irishk,
I have only seen the trailer to Inglorious Basterd and his accent did sound quite strange.

I also agree with your Brit/Australian talent sentiment as well.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:06 am
Well, I started laughing the first time I heard Madonna put a Brit clip into her speech pattern, but that was in real life, not TV or movies.

Joe(as much of a real life as that lady has.)Nation
Irishk

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:08 am
@Joe Nation,
So funny. I almost mentioned that in my post. LOL.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:14 am
Oh and Tico, you are so right about Dick Van Dyke as Bert. !

I wonder if the famous 'worst accent ever' done by John Wayne as Chengis Khan... oh, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXZ6URb4VU

Joe(Yonda lies da castle of my foddah" Wait. that was Tony Curtis)Nation
0 Replies