Best and Worst Accents on Film and Television?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 10:46 am
On the flip side, I learned something interesting. Linus Roache, the assistant D.A. in Law & Order, has a perfectly acceptable American accent, so I assumed that he was from the US.

I was shocked to hear him being interviewed the other day. He had a thick British accent. Checking further, I found that he was born in Manchester, and spent most of his early life in Great Britain.

He has obviously learned his US accent well.

Years ago, there was a beautiful young actress from Sweden named Inger Stevens. Unfortunately, she killed herself at age 35, but that is another story.

Anyhow, in her training as an actor, she developed a perfectly acceptable US accent. In an interview, she told how she was going to play the part of a Swedish woman. She said that she had to study very hard, as she had completely lost her Swedish accent.

Anyone remember Mickey Rooney with his Japanese character in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"? The P.C. police would have a hissy fit over that one now.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:46 pm
This is really the oposite of best or worst accents. This is about no accent at all.
Now and then I watch films from Germany. If there is a person supposedly from Russia or China or some other country who has only spent a few months in Germany. If this person is played by a German the person speaks a perfect German with no accent at all. Especially if it is a person who has not had the chance of studying German it drives me nuts.
At least the person should speak with an accent - I donĀ“t care how bad but not a perfekt German.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 12:52 pm
@saab,
That makes sense as well. A lack of an attempt of an accent in an immigrant character is pretty unauthentic and distracting.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:02 pm
Why does DiCaprio cop some vaguely early 20th century Brooklyn accent in every ******* movie he does? Does anyone else think this guy is totally overrated as an actor?

His worst work accent-wise was in Gangs of New York. The Irish brogue somehow wears off halfway through the movie, except where he's narrating. So he'll literally have the accent one second and not the next.
Letty

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:14 pm
Peter Sellers was excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvwP1oo18G8&feature=related
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 Jan, 2010 01:42 pm
@Letty,
Yes! Yes he was an excellent source of accents of all sorts!
0 Replies

yakofujimato

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:07 pm
@msolga,
Lindy Chamberlain is actually from New Zealand and that is the accent that Streep nails perfectly! You had no idea what you are babbling about!
msolga

Reply Mon 31 May, 2010 07:22 pm
@yakofujimato,
I said the Lindy (played by Meryl Streep) accent made my hair stand on end, which it did.
What are you babbling about, yakof? Confused
0 Replies

G-Thomson

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 05:38 am
Sean Connery always amuses me when he tries to do accents.
No matter what accent he tries to do, it just sounds like Sean Connery.
Especially his Irish accent in The Untouchables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sK3-6fvGoE
McGentrix

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 07:33 am
@G-Thomson,
G-Thomson wrote:

Sean Connery always amuses me when he tries to do accents.
No matter what accent he tries to do, it just sounds like Sean Connery.
Especially his Irish accent in The Untouchables.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sK3-6fvGoE

And his "Russian" accent in The Hunt for Red October.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2010 10:32 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Why does DiCaprio cop some vaguely early 20th century Brooklyn accent in every ******* movie he does? Does anyone else think this guy is totally overrated as an actor?

His worst work accent-wise was in Gangs of New York. The Irish brogue somehow wears off halfway through the movie, except where he's narrating. So he'll literally have the accent one second and not the next.

We watched Shutter Island recently. In it, DiCaprio plays a U.S. Marshall from Boston. I thought his accent for that role was pretty good, but then I'm not from Boston and don't know if people who are from there would find it acceptable...or even passable. Sounded pretty good to me. Overrated? I think most actors are overrated lol.
0 Replies

bmom

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:54 am
@dadpad,
I totally agree with you!!!
It is a pet peev of mine, also to me all Americans trying to do an Australian accent.... sound like Americans trying to do an Australian accent!!
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 09:54 am
I ran into a high school aquaintence at the store and she started speaking in a British accent. I asked her if she had been out of the country since HS and she said no, that this was some kind of "brain" spasm that puts her into this speaking pattern. She then began to list ALL her many physical ailments. We spoke for several minutes and I noticed the accent slowly recede. By the end of the conversation, she was speaking in our normal, midwestern accent.

Later I thought:
She was stresssed out at our meeting and slipped into some kind of psychological protective mode, on many meds, OR she is a BS'er.

The weirdest thing I ever encountered . . .

BTW - she NEVER was in a situation where she would have picked up or been exposed to a British accent.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:04 am
@bmom,
bmom wrote:
It is a pet peev of mine, also to me all Americans trying to do an Australian accent.... sound like Americans trying to do an Australian accent!!

And all Australian's trying to do the American accent ... give it up!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:39 am
Higgins the butler in "Magnum PI" was American but supposedly Brit in the series and was absolutely awful, tho media stories at the time said some Englanders thought he was one of them--god alone knows why.

Hugh Laurie, the couple of times I watched "House", sounded pretty good as an American. There was a clip of him on an interview show somewhere talking about the show and he was talking in his normal English accent, and that was kind of a shock.

Bostonians make fun of actors trying for a Boston accent--NO ONE has nailed it. Even the Kennedys couldn't nail it--whatever they spoke, it was not Boston English, no one is quite sure where it came from--maybe a two-block radius around the Brookline home they grew up in.

And I don't think I've ever heard a convincing Southern accent either. There isn't just one real Southern accent, probably at least eight or nine distinct ones. Carroll O'Connor in "The Heat of the Night", as I remember, was pretty awful.

Some Welsh already sound like they're halfway across the ocean to America anyway.

Irishk

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:45 am
@MontereyJack,
Matt Damon was pretty good in Good Will Hunting, but he's from Boston, I think.
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:48 am
@Irishk,
Yes - he is. He did an excellent job with his accent.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:50 am
@G-Thomson,
Yes - when I started reading the beginning of what you wrote, the first thing I envisioned was Connery in the Untouchables and how he sounded like.....Sean Connery.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 11:52 am
@PUNKEY,
I saw this on one of the news programs like 20/20. It was either mid-western or southern girl - can't remember because it was so long ago, that due to some brain problem talked with a British accent.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2011 02:36 pm
Many many years ago, I saw this man on television who was a linguist. He claimed that he could tell where a person was born, and any other places that they had lived by studying their accents.

He had a few persons from the audience speak, and he made his evaluations. Each time, he was "right on the money".
0 Replies