Stubborn beans

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:40 pm
@msolga,
I'll be the anti and say throw it out and start another day with new beans not packaged as a swell mix. Maybe even from bulk food.
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
... that is, if ya gonna let those damn beans get the better of you! Wink
JPB

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:49 pm
@msolga,
I'm craving beans all of a sudden.
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:50 pm
@JPB,
I think osso is, too, JPB!

The big A2K bean cook-up coming up!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:51 pm
Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So let's have beans for every meal!

(Sorry, i couldn't resist.)
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 07:52 pm
@Setanta,
That's the spirit, Setanta!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:19 pm
@Setanta,
I've oft heard that people who eat beans all the time get over the fart part. Is this true?

(Personally, I just rinse the oligosaccharides in the soaking, or the can).
I've have no idea - since I am a strange person who cannot smell farts, or rarely, don't get me going on nasal insufficiency - what kind of graphs could be made about farts and beans, and rinses, and maybe... baking soda, a factor I've heard of, but more for making beans cook than containing farting.

I suppose I should check wikipedia but I'm not in the mood.
boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:29 pm
@Setanta,
My doctor says that foods that make you fart are usually good for you (healthwise, not socially); junk food never makes you fart. She thinks we should learn to embrace farting.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:32 pm
@boomerang,
I eat a lot of beans. I don't fart much that I myself notice, but ask my friends.
Hey, Dys....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:33 pm
@ossobuco,
That's why you soak them a few hours, then pour off that fart water, then you soak them overnight.

I've tried that "boil them a few minutes then let them soak for a few hours to cut the soaking time" thing.

I don't think it works nearly as well as soaking them properly. Not in the fridge either, right on the counter in the designated bean soaking bowl, which is sky blue (the bowl).

What color was the container you soaked them in boom? That might have been the culprit.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
junk food never makes you fart

I've got someone I'd like your doctor to examine. Perhaps keep and study for a while. A good, junk-food eating, farting while.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:38 pm
@chai2,
Agreeing with chai except re the container color ploy. The saccharides go away if you rinse, but I tend to rinse more than once.

But, as I mentioned before, I'm sort of a happy camper with beans soaking in my kitchen. Kitchen comfort.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 08:40 pm
I've been known to put the beans in a bowl of water and microwave it for 30 minutes or so when I'm in a hurry.

I do that too with the wheat when I'm making tabouli. (But only for about 15 minutes.)

It was a pan, not a bowl, chai, so it was silver. Perhaps I'll try blue next time.
chai2

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:07 pm
@boomerang,
shaking head....

well, there's your problem. soaking beans in a PAN?

takes all kinds I guess.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2010 09:21 pm
@chai2,
wheat not equal to beans.

A friend once told me that lima beans are good (we stared at him). But I guess fresh ones can be. I have some dried ones waiting for me to pluck them.
Beans have their own time. Me, I think corporate store packaging of a mix of beans and some spices are junk. I suppose they can work.
boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:32 am
@ossobuco,
Really, osso?

I love the bean mixes I buy. It just isn't practical for me to keep 15 varieties of beans and 50 jars of spices. It's so much easier to use their mix and my own stock to whip up a pot of beans.

Anyway, I'm going to give the beans one last chance and if they don't behave they'll have to go. Shame really, Mr. B has to work tonight and Mo and I interview a tutor and then we're going out to dinner so they won't even get eaten if they work out.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:37 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
They are all HUMAN BEANS.

Groan
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:38 am
i don't use dried beans very often, but whenever i have, i've never soaked them before hand (i rinse them), and never had a problem with them not cooking

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:43 am
Were there any acids in the broth you soaked/cooked them in? If so, acids slow down the softening process for beans.

What you could do is strain the broth and then put the beans into another pot, add a tablespoon of baking soda (alkalai) and some plain water and cook them until they soften. Give them a rinse and then merge the beans and broth back together again.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:46 am
@Butrflynet,
Here's a site with some good cooking tips for beans and any problems you may encounter with cooking them:

http://www.usdrybeans.com/faq/BeanPreparationandRecipeTips.aspx