Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 06:19 pm
I usually have a container of crockpot (slow cooker) cooked beans in my freezer. I cook a pound at once (soaked overnight first) in my small crockpot, to save effort, and the beans get gradually used up in one of my soups or in burritos.

I have the boston baked bean gene, but am not crazy about them, too sweet for me, but family christmases used to involve a seriously large cooked ham and boston baked beans, among other things. Do you like sweet baked beans? Tell all..

Most of my cooked bean inventions involve italian or mexican or new mexican components, but today I saw this recipe that I want to try next. I'll call it Beans Masala. It's a recipe from Saveur magazine's site, where they use big red kidney beans (I wouldn't). Still, I like the ingredients.
I also don't have a pressure cooker, but I'm fine with the crock pot method of bean cooking or stove top beans, or even oven baked.

Here's the link:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Kidney-Bean-Masala-Stew?cmpid=enews09232013&spPodID=020&spMailingID=5743449&spUserID=MTM3MzAzNjg0OTIS1&spJobID=338394043&spReportId=MzM4Mzk0MDQzS0

Here's the recipe:
http://www.saveur.com/sites/saveur.com/files/images/2012-12/7-SAV153-Rajma-750x750.jpg

I see this was from January - well, I missed it back then (I get their email missives).

Jan 23, 2013
Rajma (North Indian Kidney Bean Masala Stew)
The beans in this classic Punjabi dish can be cooked without a pressure cooker, but allow for an extra hour of cooking time. Serve with flatbread or rice. This recipe first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2013 issue along with Nidhi Chaudhry's article Pressure Cooker.

SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS
1 cup dried kidney beans, soaked overnight
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 red onions (1 minced, 1 thinly sliced)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (½") piece ginger, finely chopped
3 serrano chiles, stemmed
½ tsp. ground turmeric
½ tsp. hot paprika
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 dried chiles de arbol
2 tsp. coriander seeds
½ tsp. cumin seeds
1 stick cinnamon
1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp. garam masala
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Cooked basmati rice, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine beans, half the garlic, half the minced onion, and salt in a 2-qt. pressure cooker with 2½ cups water. Cover, and cook on high heat until whistle sounds, 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes more. Remove from heat, and allow steam to dissipate completely before opening, about 12 minutes. Drain beans, reserving ½ cup cooking water; set aside.

2. Puree remaining garlic, ginger, seranno chiles, turmeric, and paprika with 2 tbsp. water in food processor; set paste aside. Heat oil in a 10" skillet over medium-high heat. Add chile de arbol, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining minced onion; cook until browned, about 1 minute. Add paste; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.

3. Add tomato mixture, cilantro, garam masala, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and ½ cup water to beans in pressure cooker. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes more. Serve over rice, and garnish with sliced red onion.

Makes me hungry to read that.

Soon winter will be a cumin in..

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,743 • Replies: 1
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2013 06:57 pm
That looks delicious! I might have to try it myself.

I love beans but I'm not all that adventurous with them. Beans in ham stock, beans in chicken stock, various beans thrown into soups....

I'm a boring bean cook but I still love them.

I'm making chili with beans tonight!
0 Replies