Need help with saying something in LATIN....

Dave436

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:07 pm
How do you say this in latin?

"How do you know something is wrong, without ever trying it?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,348 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 01:55 am
Sorry I'm unable to help you with this one. I don't speak Latin and haven't been able to find any free online English to Latin phrase translators, only dictionaries.

Hopefully someone will come along soon and be better able to assist you with this. In the meantime, welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 09:11 pm
tehe. . . of course, my mind went directly to German. . . "Wie weiß man, daß etwas fällt, ohne es zu versuchen". . . bad translation, but oh well. . . now, latin, let me think. . .

Quomodo scis aliquod male esse nisi temptus est.

Lit. In what way do you know that something is wrong if it has not been tried.
0 Replies

session victim

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:22 am
I guess, in german it would be like:

"Wie kann man wissen, dass etwas falsch ist, wenn man es noch nie versucht hat."

Hey Princessash185, are there some more languages you're speakin'?
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 04:23 pm
hehe. . . you'll have to excuse me, victim, I've been doing a bit too much with Goethe recently and so my German sounds a bit stranger than normal :-)

I'm a German major who took eight years of latin and 7 or so years of french. . .
0 Replies

session victim

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 03:10 am
Yeahh, good ol' Wolle, as a friend of mine would say. Wolle is something like a nickname for Wolfgang in Saxony. In my opinion his genius doesn't need to be emphasized one more time by myself. So what's your opinion about Brecht? I think, he's fuckin' brilliant.

What do you mean with being a german major? At this point, my knowledge goes towards its end.

If anything in this english sentences is wrong, please tell me.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 08:30 am
Hmm. . . Brecht. . . I am a fan of Dreigroschen Oper. My number one complaint about Brecht is that he allowed his plays to be translated into english without their true meanings being emphasized. . . the english version of Dreigroschen is almost comical.

And, in your terms, I'm done with Gymnasium and I'm at Uni studying German :-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 08:34 am
... and since she understands Hessian dialect as well, she wouldn't have much difficulties listening to strange other dialects, like yours session victim, I suppose Laughing

BTW: wellcome to A2K!
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 11:57 am
yes, I wasn't actually going to say anything about that Sachsen notation under his name. . . . . .

:-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 12:11 pm
Yeah, I know, princess, you are as shy, polite, integer and polite as ........... I am Laughing
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 02:05 pm
but of course. . .

come to mention it, I haven't said anything about YOUR particular dialect, either. . . ;-)

I'm remembering the time I was visiting the hihpster's family last year in Nordrhein Westfallen. . . he (hihp) is always making fun of the kids down there who speak Schwäbisch and all, after all, it's such an icky dialect and HE would never speak it, and complains that his little siblings are doing it more and more. . .

So I was talking to them about this, and the little ones, around seven or so, after I said "Na, aber Holger spricht gar kein Schwäbisch". . .

"Doch! Holger kann Schwäbisch! Ich kann nicht, und sie, und sie, und du, aber er kann!"

Eeenteresting. . . the liar. . .
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 02:08 pm
oh, oops. . . Baden-Württemberg is where they live now, I suppose :-) Sorry to any Westphalians whom I've offended by associating them with Schwäbisch. . . :-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 02:48 pm
Quote:
"It has been evident for a long time that, of all members of all the Germanic tribes, the Swabian is the most difficult to understand and the most mysterious. In him the most intense contradictions are found. Often, in one individual, meet both extreme boldness and amazing timidity, rebelliousness and philistinism, winning kindness and resentful standoffishness, skillfulness and awkwardness, firmness and instability, mistrust and friendliness, soaring idealism and grounded realisticism."

A brief introduction into the Swabian dialect
Quote:
Westphalian is one of the major dialect groups of Low Saxon. Its most salient feature is the diphthongization (rising diphthongs). For example, we get iEten instead of E:ten for eat. The Westphalian dialect region includes the northern part of North Rhine-Westphalia, i.e. the former Prussian province of Westphalia excluding the Siegerland and the region around Osnabrück.

from wikipedia :wink:
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:02 pm
sure. . . your dipthongs don't impress me. . .

;-)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 04:22 pm
princessash185 wrote:
sure. . . your dipthongs don't impress me. . .
Crying or Very sad

:wink:
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 9 Dec, 2003 11:06 pm
Ok, I have reread the chapter in my "Dialects of Modern German" book about "Westphalian", and I have changed my mind: your dipthongs do impress me :-)
0 Replies

session victim

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 01:05 am
Oh Walter, you cannot imagine what kind of dialect I have. Its the heck more stranger than the Harald Schmidt-type saxon one. I'm at home in the ore mountains ( Erzgebirge ) not very far from this region, where this Renate Zindler-thing happened.

By the way, Schwäbisch is not very attractive too. But I'm really in love with Plattdeutsch.

Princessash, try Brecht-"Der verwundete Sokrates". It's a short story.

Walter, do you agree, that movies in original language are thousand times better than our synchronized ones?

Greeting from the ore mountains, where christmas is still what it was before the uprising of modern disco-colored junk-christmas-decoration.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 02:05 am
Not only our dialect but we (and especially I) should impress you, princess!

session victim

Agreed on on the synchronisation, and yes, I know about the different dialects (and agree to oppinion about 'Schwäbisch').
0 Replies