came round the bend

Adverb

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 09:21 pm
I have been having trouble understanding English words related to directions and locations. The sentence"The car came round the bend on the wrong side of the road."puzzled me. I know bend means a curved part of something, still, I cannot figure it out.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,108 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Seed

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 09:23 pm
@Adverb,
that's what it means. Bend being a curve in the road.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 01:16 am
@Adverb,
You need to imagine yourself as a driver approaching a bend in the road which hides oncoming traffic. The car "on the wrong side" suddenly appears coming at you on your half of the road as defined by your national driving regulations.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 09:03 am
A car "coming around the bend" simply means it is moving on the road on a curve in the road.

But the phrase "coming around the bend" can mean that something is moving ahead, after going through a turn. People can "come around the bend" when moving through an emotion, like trouble or grief. Someone may say, "I was having a bad day, but I am coming around the bend and getting better."

fresco

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 10:41 am
@sullyfish6,
...only in your idiolect ! In mine, we would use "turning the corner". And we use "going round the bend" for "going crazy" /"is round the bend" for "is crazy".

Therefore, for a non-native speaker I suggest we stick to the context provided to avoid confusion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:29 pm
@Adverb,
Adverb, do you drive a car? ride a bicycle?

If not, you may need to watch a video clip to have that sentence make sense for you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jan, 2010 12:32 pm
@Adverb,
http://www.foranlaw.com/images/accident-reconstruction3.jpg

it looks like one of these vehicles might have been on the wrong side of the road when it came around the bend
0 Replies